Gyro Warning System

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
The “inevitable” “behind the curve” warning as you flare is no different to the stall warning on most aircraft. In fact I’ve found it a good indicator that I’m not landing too fast. If I start to flare and don’t get that message I know something’s wrong. Also the GWS includes a volume controller (you can’t turn it down below a certain level) and a push button to stop the message for a set time period (actually at 20 seconds but adjustable).
Mike as you say the audible stall say on a C 150 was as a good indication and not a distraction.

One knew that in the air at any alt it was warning of an impending stall, that could be dangerous,, however during a landing it was a useful indication that touchdown had occurred at a minimum airspeed and was good.

The push button silencing is a good idea for those who find it a distraction for landing, but as you said it the alarm can be used un-silenced, as a landing aid.

All in all an impressive step forward in promoting gyro operational safety.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Hi Mike:
I hope that the GWS will have a black box like capability to record the following
1) Rotor RPM
2) Airspeed
3) Altitude
4) G-force
5) Warnings given to pilot
6) Engine RPM would be nice if possible
7) Fireproofing of recorded data element

These should be set to record probably once every 0.5 seconds. 20 minutes of recording is plenty. The low G bunting risk warning is a must have.

Mike G

Aircraft
Owned Magni M16 now ELA 07
Total Flight Time
550FW + 500 gyro
Fara

Thanks for your interest. When I've managed to get a vaccination and can travel to the USA, I'll plan a visit to Florida, I probably need to update you on the latest PB4 features and will bring a prototype GWS for testing.

At the moment the GWS does all you ask up to number 6. You can see from the graph the different outputs, the height is barely visible because in that particular test I never took off.
We are looking at adding engine rpm and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Fireproofing is something that we're looking at but needs to be discussed with those manufacturers who we will be working with to see how much they want to do. Since they have to find somewhere to fit this black box they may have better solutions than us.
As a point of interest does anybody have an idea of which zone of a gyro is the least likely to be affected by a crash and fire?

The GWS also has a set of contacts for a door/canopy lock alarm.

We hope to work with interested manufacturers and this may produce other requirements.

Mike G

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Fara

Thanks for your interest. When I've managed to get a vaccination and can travel to the USA, I'll plan a visit to Florida, I probably need to update you on the latest PB4 features and will bring a prototype GWS for testing.

At the moment the GWS does all you ask up to number 6. You can see from the graph the different outputs, the height is barely visible because in that particular test I never took off.
We are looking at adding engine rpm and it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Fireproofing is something that we're looking at but needs to be discussed with those manufacturers who we will be working with to see how much they want to do. Since they have to find somewhere to fit this black box they may have better solutions than us.
As a point of interest does anybody have an idea of which zone of a gyro is the least likely to be affected by a crash and fire?

The GWS also has a set of contacts for a door/canopy lock alarm.

We hope to work with interested manufacturers and this may produce other requirements.

Mike G

Hi Mike
I think the best place to mount would be between front and back seat under or above the keel tube in a stainless steel box