Gyro Technic website is now up.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 tail-dragger airplane, 1.5 powered parachute
I was surprised to learn they will be offering aluminum rotorblades, possibly this fall. Named "Razor Blades".

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
For those that have been following Denis Schoemaker's march to market of his Gyro Technic single place gyro you'll be glad to know his website in now up and running.

http://gyrotechnic.com/

I wonder if they don't deserve their own place in the brand category here on the forum. I think they will be selling a lot of kits.
Love your new site. I will get the word out. Send me announcements you wish about the new Razor Blades too when ready. Good job!!!

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Excellent ! That website was a long time coming, but it is chock full of information NOW !
One thing is missing; I had written to ask about using a 912, but I see no mention of that being an option.
Perhaps they are too busy to have tried that yet, but a 912 with a bit more fuel carrying capacity would just about sell me... :love:
Brian

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Having watched with great interest Denis’s immaculate, innovative, and hugely impressive build log with his initial Hornet, which he then adapted with a tall tail, I am delighted to see this development. I wish him well in this venture

His craftsmanship, attention to detail, and now obvious passion for this new business are wonderful news for the gyro world, in particular for the single seat pilots who have long been looking for something like this. A quality product with great flying characteristics, if the Hornet I built is any indicator. It was stable and agile, but I did feel that my tail left room for improvement, and Denis addressed that issue

The icing on the cake is the news that we might be getting a new rotor on the market, so really looking forward to how this one performs.

I echo what Smack has just posted. In general small single seaters are generally treated and flown as arial dirt bikes for turning and burning round the local area. With performance...and range, they could become small touring machines capable of reasonable cross country trips.

The next question is cost. It is undoubtedly a quality product with it seems a price.

The video is great and gives a very good idea on just how much detail has gone into this kit. On the flight very little rotor shake, looking good Denis.

Very impressive!! Big double thumbs up, as my son would say.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Dennis, just seen the set of demo rotors you have made and will be showing at Mentone.

They look absolutely amazing. Pretty sure you will be getting a lot of interest.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
It's good to see all this positive support FROM THOSE WHO HAVE watched Denis's original meticulous build & his careful learning curve & flight experience building ...now offering his beautiful kits & now stepping up to building rotors!
..... solid first-hand informed testimony outweighs the yipping "johnny-come-lately" pups!!!!

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Perhaps they are too busy to have tried that yet, but a 912 with a bit more fuel carrying capacity would just about sell me... :love:
Brian
Me too.

DavePA11

What is the starting price for the kits? Is there a light 4-stoke option since seen too many of the 2-stroke engines die in flight. Looks like a nice design.

Illini85

What is the starting price for the kits? Is there a light 4-stoke option since seen too many of the 2-stroke engines die in flight. Looks like a nice design.
From the website $23,850 without engine, prop, instruments and rotor. No 4 stroke options as of yet only Rotax 582 and Hirth 2 strokes. This will be a machine to learn on and fly the neighborhood rather than a cross country machine. The folding mast feature will make it highly trailerable.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
X-country in open frame machines can become a little uncomfortable, and is very weather dependent. Nearly all single seaters except for a few are 2 stroke so endurance/range becomes an issue. Dennis has received queries about the 912 and has said that in time it is something that he may look into.

I would also think that the more innovative gyro builders may then even look into some form of light weight pod, or fairing, along the lines of the Dolphin fairings with small windshields that were fitted to motor bikes that could streamline/reduce drag and protect the pilot for longer flights. Dennis also has provision for racks for carrying small light camping items.

The folding mast feature is invaluable for both trailering, and storage in a garage. The Hornet my son and I built was mostly in his garage, but then had to be partially disassembled to get it out and finished in the hanger. This can be put in and out no problem,

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Here she is. Sadly son was going back to school and we needed funds. Tried to sell her, but in the end had to part her out which was pretty sad,

There is a video of her maiden flight which I just posted the other day on the Welcome Mat on the thread 'Can’t Shake The Bug.’ which you can view there. Didn’t want to take up bandwidth posting the video again here.

That was taken by my son as we did the initial runs, wheel balancing, low hops then circuits. She handled beautifully. I wasn’t entirely happy with the all flying tail which we built but Dennis sorted that out by going to his tall tail which I think would give better control with a more secure structure.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
I was interested to see a question from a European gyro enthusiast Uwe Goehl on the Gyro Tech Facebook page enquiring what it would be like to transition from one of the European two seat factory gyros to Denis’s single seater.

A very interesting and pertinant question. Single seat gyro’s, once the majority here in the UK, gave way in the last few years to the big influx of the factory 2 seaters. They were stable and easier to fly, the marketing was good, and an efficient training set-up was put in place that created a boom. Certainly the case in Europe, and increasingly in the US. But...!

The ‘but!!' is cost. To buy, to train in, and to operate they are a big jump step higher than single seaters. The ‘Bensen’ was a cheap affordable 'one in everyman’s garage' that he could build himself keep in his garage and trailer out to the airfield and fly. Factory 2 seaters are definitely not in that league, and people/2 seat gyro pilots here in the UK have started to see that.

I was taking my assistant instructor rating but decided not to go ahead and finish because to Instruct I would have own or have access to a two seater, and I am not that interested in them. However have continued to assist in single seat instruction and have been involved in the recent conversion of five licensed gyro pilots who have just converted from two seat to single seat here in the UK, along with two more who are still training.

The single seat machines involved have been the LA-18, Cricket and Merlin, all of which I have flown, and while all were perfectly good machines, can say I preferred both the Hornet and Bensen to them. The Hornet of course being the forerunner to the GT-VX1, which is a very much more refined and superior machine. The Hornet struck me as being both stable and agile and a good machine for both beginner and anyone who wants to be a bit more adventurous.

One very simple analogy between 2 seat and single seat gyro is bicycle and monocycle. In short longitudinal stability. The difference is that when converting be prepared to have much lighter controls and greater pitch sensitivity. If, in the US you learned on a single no big deal, if you learned on a 2 seater be prepared to do a bit of work. In the UK in order to do a single seat Gyro PPL the student will do initial, and additional training on a 2 seater, along with his single seat training in the PPL(G) syllabus.

I see in the GT-VX1 both a market for the individual who cannot afford a 2 seater, and, as the last three here in the UK, certified pilots who have 2 seat gyros, who have now added a single seater...or, pilots who learned on 2 seaters but can only afford a single seater, + the enthusiast who wants to get into the gyro world and build and fly something safe, and, affordable.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
I was interested to see a question from a European gyro enthusiast Uwe Goehl on the Gyro Tech Facebook page enquiring what it would be like to transition from one of the European two seat factory gyros to Denis’s single seater.

A very interesting and pertinant question. Single seat gyro’s, once the majority here in the UK, gave way in the last few years to the big influx of the factory 2 seaters. They were stable and easier to fly, the marketing was good, and an efficient training set-up was put in place that created a boom. Certainly the case in Europe, and increasingly in the US. But...!

The ‘but!!' is cost.
You have to be careful with cost. You have to stick with apples to apples comparison
So for instance the GyroTech kit is $23850 right now. I agree that is a good price but slightly on the cheaper side IMO. He will figure that out over time too.

This does not include
Engine. $9000 with everything for Rotax 582 new
Propeller. $850
Rotors. $3500
Instruments. $1000
Wiring harness. A lot of pain and probably a professionally done one would be $1000 minimum
Battery and other misc. things needed to actually finish the gyro. $800
Builders Assist. $3500
Radio panel mounted with antenna and com. $1400
Transponder installed and checked. $1800
ADSB OUT mandated or Mode S with WAAS GPS source $1650
Flight Helmet with com. $500
FAA DAR fees or equivalent. $650
Paying someone for test flights and tweaking for first 2 hours. $400

So that comes to $49900
It’s very deceiving where the money goes and what you start with. The only way to cut this cost is really to not take sone of these items or services. There are no short cuts

GyroTech does not have many composite parts and fairings yet. They will definitely increase the cost as well when they come. A decent paint job alone costs thousands.

For instance an AR-1 kit equivalent to GyroTech kit like this without composite body, instruments, wiring harness, rotors, engine, prop, misc. items needed to finish would be $33500 which is consistent and comparable to other similar two seat gyroplane kits as well. So I beg to disagree that 2 seat gyroplanes are over priced if you believe that single seat quality gyroplane kit like GyroTech is not. They are right in line with about the same value point. Manufacturers do not make much money on instruments, avionics, engine etc. So there is hardly any margin to speak of on those items and they are at least as expensive put together as what the manufacturer actually makes himself.

So this idea of cost has to be kept in check with sound reasoning and hard numbers. Things look affordable if you get a bunch of metal but it doesn’t fly. The problem is 80% customers want all the services and options. Then of course the cost is more and they have to pay for them. I have also seen in general that without builder's assist, many of the customers would not be able to make a quality consistent aircraft. The number of customers who could I can count on less than one hand. Its the bitter truth. There are a lot of airplane builders who never finish. I believe part of the reason is they don't account for all the costs up front and realize if they want to save on those costs, they have to do and know everything from wiring to painting etc. and have a ton of time on their hands. That is when they sell their projects.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Fara, you say apple to apples then go and do an apples to oranges.

You come to a figure of $49,900 for a final figure of Denis’s kit, with everything and the kitchen sink, and only $33, 500 for an AR-1 kit...
without composite body, instruments, wiring harness, rotors, engine, prop, misc.

You quote my post, which was addressing a question on how it would be to transition to a single having learned on a two seat, rather than the cost breakdown. I had merely commented that single seaters are cheaper than two seaters .
You do raise a good point about the additional costs though. On our original Hornet for example, the 503 was around $5000, but then exhaust, and coating another $1,000, the Dragon Wings were $2000, the rotor head $1000, the Black Max wheels, and disc brakes around $400, the 3 blade Warp prop $700, so over $10,000 without Instruments, radio, materials, harness, prerotator, etc etc. After $17,000 I stopped counting because I had estimated it was not going to be more that $15000 and I was getting a little depressed. After I stopped counting however I cheered up again. As for abandoning the project I don’t think either my son or I ever contemplated that as an option and I certainly counted it as a great father son project that I will always remember very happily.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Huh. The $33500 was juxtaposed against $23859 not $49900. I thought that was obvious. Perhaps not. What I was trying to point at is that the real difference between a single seat quality kit and dual seat quality kit is this ... roughly $10000 if you equalize everything else. The rest of the difference is from the engine and options and services people talk themselves into. Not in the basic kit. Furthermore, the margin for an OEM on these avionics and engine is very small and that is not where the manufacturer makes his net profit

Last edited: