Gyro-tech carbon fiber blades/RAF

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
The Gyro-Tech carbon Fiber Blades.hubbar,and rotor head arrived several days ago.

The quality is Excellent,a good example is that the coning angle of 2.5 degrees is machined into the bar, not bent

as some hub bars are.The teeter block has four ball bearings installed in the block instead of needle

bearings installed in the towers,and the rotor head is a machined one piece.The rotor blades are made of

100% carbon fiber and that includes the spar. The spar and outer skin is made at the same time so there are no

seams to delaminate. The only metal is the bushings installed for the mounting bolts and the tip weights.

The blades and hubbar are the exact length as the RAF parts so the 30' diameter is maintained.

The initial pitch setting of the blades are made with machined shims and there are 2 sets of shims one

for high altitude and the other for lower altitude There are.provisions for blade tracking and centering of the hubbar

Before shipping the blades were assembled to the hubbar and install on a ground testing station where tracking

was done and then balanced with a PB-4 balancer.

Flight testing is on hold

Attachments

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Everything looks very high quality Eddie.

I look forward to the flight tests.

greg spicola

Aircraft
AR-1 /Dom 2 place/ Anything with Rotorblades/
Total Flight Time
2600+ in gyros 510 in helicopter
Hi Eddie,
what was the result of the balancing, how far out were they? what kind of adjustments where needed? why was flight testing delayed ?
regards,
Greg

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Greg the flight testing has been delayed because the 1/2" bolt that hold the rotor head on was to short,a new AN bolt from ac spruce will be here today.

Don't know any thing yet about the balancing,will know more this afternoon after flying.

greg spicola

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thank you Eddie I'll be following your progress here.:yo: good luck

spinkaan

Aircraft
3 RAF's
Total Flight Time
300 hrs
Hi Eddie I have today collected my Gyro-Tech. Rotor blades from customs at the port and just got home from a 360 km drive. Will unpack them tomorrow. This is the first set in South Africa. Will follow your comments.
Peter

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Flight test: I prerotated to 150 rrpm and increased power/speed until I had 200 rrpm and then went to full power,the takeoff run was about the same as with the other blades I have used

On takeoff I noticed that I had positive lift at 270 rrpm as I rotated the rpm went to 310 instantly and ended up at 350,altitude was @ 6,200 ft. I had to trim nose up as compared to the nose down trim I used on

the RAF blades,at cruise speed 3,900 rpm and 75 mph the rotor rpm was averaging 346 rrpm,in flight I noticed that the blades were running flatter than the other blades I have used raf/sportcopter.

Because of the flatter coning angle and stiffer blades I had a little increase in speed and handling was quicker and there was less stick lag and more of a positive reaction,and I was still able to fly

hands off while I had my coffee.On landing the rotor rpm hung on longer,which will require a little adjustment to my landings. A couple of pilots and my wife said that the gyro sounded a lot quieter

they said it sounded like the engine wasn't working as hard.

The factory balancing paid off because I will not have to make any adjustments at all, the blades are smooth and I noticed instantly that the cabin shake and rudder pedal vibrations were

completely gone.

The price including air freight was $4,200 this includes the carbon fiber blades,hubbar,and teeter tower,all completely balanced and ready to go.Also the blades are not time limited.

Last edited:

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Peter what gyro are they going on,I hope you also bought the rotor head,the bolted together heads are becoming old school and I will never use them again

The machining on the gyrotech metal parts is really excellent and the fit and finish is really nice.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Eddie:
I think you mean you got the teeter tower from them not the whole rotor head, right. I see a picture of a billet teeter tower on a ring gear but I do not see a rotorhead assembly in the pictures. I am guessing you liked these blades better than RAF and Sport Copter blades you had used before then? I have recently gotten a PB4. Its rather simple to setup and use IMO for standard balancing.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Fara yes your right we just have the teeter tower,Gyro-tech drilled the part for us so we could use the RAF ring gear it solved a lot of install problems,I guess I have used the wrong part description,

I thought it was called the rotor head my bad, All I had to do was make a bushing under the teeter tower to obtain the right height for the ring gear.And yes these blades and

metal parts are really good quality. the factory balancing was perfect,I didn't have to anything except string the blades during assembly.

Last edited:

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
eddie;n1128764 said:
Fara yes your right we just have the teeter tower,Gyro-tech drilled the part for us so we could use the RAF ring gear it solved a lot of install problems,I guess I have used the wrong part description,

I thought it was called the rotor head my bad, All I had to do was make a bushing under the teeter tower to obtain the right height for the ring gear.And yes these blades and

metal parts are really good quality. the factory balancing was perfect,I didn't have to anything except string the blades during assembly.
Thanks for the reply Eddie. Didn't the Sport Copter blades you had have those bushings in them on the hinge bolt so the blades kind of have a pseudo lead lag partial hinge and do not need stringing but find their position as they go. Did you like that feature?
So am I right in understanding that these blades retain their energy and inertia longer than RAF or Sport Copter blades you used so in ground effect you have more float time before touch down

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Fara I didn't like the features on the sportcoptor blades,the gyro-tech blades forunately are not made that way,also the gyro-tech blades are fairly light and by shifting

a lttle weight to the tips they keep there inertia longer,I have always found that simple works the best but designing simple is a lot harder.

The one feature I really like is the teeter block,it has 4 ball bearings inside of it instead of the needle bearings in the towers.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
eddie;n1128770 said:
Fara I didn't like the features on the sportcoptor blades,the gyro-tech blades forunately are not made that way,also the gyro-tech blades are fairly light and by shifting

a lttle weight to the tips they keep there inertia longer,I have always found that simple works the best but designing simple is a lot harder.

The one feature I really like is the teeter block,it has 4 ball bearings inside of it instead of the needle bearings in the towers.
Yes I do not understand why needle bearings in the towers were used because its a messier solution. Averso teeter block is the same as yours here. Ball Bearings inside the block. No need to push bolts around. Over lubricate the block etc.

spinkaan

Aircraft
3 RAF's
Total Flight Time
300 hrs
Eddie, Coincendence ,,my RAF is also painted green like yours. What is the part number of the 1/2 inch bolt that you got from Spruce please as I would also need to order one?
I notice that the plate inside the tower, where the 4 bolts holding the assy together, holes are sunken into the plate with a shamfer where the bolthead must seat into. What bolts did you use here??

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Peter,I used the bolts that came with it they have a allen wrench head,as for the 1/2" bolt I had to make a 7/16" bushing to go under the head for clearance

the bolt is AN8-42. Your going to really like your blades,they are complety smooth.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
I wrote to Gyro-Tech to inquire if they make a 7" chord blade. Waiting for response. I like what I see but it appears their current offering of blades are for heavier 2-place gyros. Eager to learn more about this company.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Just got a nice reply from Agnieszka at Gyro-Tech. Currently they only offer the 216mm (8-1/2") chord blades. I do not know how they would perform on a light single-seater like a GyroBee. Sport Copter has 2 chord sizes, the larger for the heavier machines. As a purely academic question, what kind of difference in flight characteristics / behavior is typically found with wider chord blades on a light machine? Slower RRPM? Sluggish response? Greater tendency for flapping? Obviously there's a reason narrower blades are used on lighter machines, but I don't claim to understand all of the physics behind it.

greg spicola

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Thank you for the flight test report , good to hear the positive results.:first:

phantom

I personally don’t like bearings in the block and I will never use a ball bearing or any bearing with a cage that keep the balls or rollers in place, I used it on a machine for a while and had a cage break apart during spin up that resulted in blades going about two feet out of track, teeter bearings should be as far apart as possible so having them in the towers is better.

eddie

RAF, turbo subaru 230hp
Aircraft
230 HP turbocharged RAF
Total Flight Time
8,000 plus
Brian go to the gyro-tech website and they have a modified blade that is only 8" in chord and they will make a 4 meter length of less if desired.