Gyro simulator training with x-plane

GyroFan

Considering to create a small setup for simulating a Gyro with x-plane +

Got the tip from a fixed wing pilot which uses a similar setup to train for his ppl, unfamiliar airports/routes and keeping up routine.

Any thoughts or experience with such a setup?

I built one a few years ago. I like the Cricket, MT-03, and ELA-07 . I lengthened my stick to have a more realistic movement. It required that I play around with the control parameters to get the feel better. I've used the HDMI output and a big screen TV, but a friend of mine has it with VR goggles and he swears by them although I haven't tried that yet.

I used one on a very early version of x-plane. It was a good basic model and I found it very helpful in exploring the behaviour of the machine at various speeds, including behind the curve flying.
Later versions of X-plane had much sexier looking models, but they varied from useless to downright awful.
The problem, IMO ,was that X-Plane upgraded about once a year, and the models would not run on later levels, so why would anyone invest the time and effort to create a really accurate model . After a while I gave up on looking.
It is quite possible that someone has put a good one up recently, so might be worth a look. Remember, the graphics can be really good, but the flight characteristics totally unrepresentative. The fidelity of the flight characteristics should be the only thing that matters.

I am currently building a complete VR helicopter set up that I will get FAA certified. Some of the aerodynamics in the current xplane Gyros are not accurate but they should be fixable.

Don't bother. Assembled a reasonably higher-end VR X-Plane simulator with the thrustmaster controls, Gforce 2070 super video card, AMD Ryzen, etc. Both the Oculus and Samsung goggles caused motion sickness with low res, chunky performance. The spring-loaded, non force feedback controls in no way build correct muscle memory. The physics are not realistic. Just started single place transition wheel balancing real practice. Zero help from the sim time. Works better for fixed wing. Returned the goggles, video card and controls.

I set up a vr sim for helicopter simulation and found it fantastic compared to a monitor. I then started real life training and was hovering right from the first go. The instructor said I had probably robbed him of 10 hours of flight training. Good quality controls are important, target hall effect sensors over potentiometers. Haven't tried a gyro in the Sim but probably will be soon.