Gyro simulator training with x-plane

GyroFan

Considering to create a small setup for simulating a Gyro with x-plane +

Got the tip from a fixed wing pilot which uses a similar setup to train for his ppl, unfamiliar airports/routes and keeping up routine.

Any thoughts or experience with such a setup?

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrobee, My design
Total Flight Time
I built one a few years ago. I like the Cricket, MT-03, and ELA-07 . I lengthened my stick to have a more realistic movement. It required that I play around with the control parameters to get the feel better. I've used the HDMI output and a big screen TV, but a friend of mine has it with VR goggles and he swears by them although I haven't tried that yet.

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
I used one on a very early version of x-plane. It was a good basic model and I found it very helpful in exploring the behaviour of the machine at various speeds, including behind the curve flying.
Later versions of X-plane had much sexier looking models, but they varied from useless to downright awful.
The problem, IMO ,was that X-Plane upgraded about once a year, and the models would not run on later levels, so why would anyone invest the time and effort to create a really accurate model . After a while I gave up on looking.
It is quite possible that someone has put a good one up recently, so might be worth a look. Remember, the graphics can be really good, but the flight characteristics totally unrepresentative. The fidelity of the flight characteristics should be the only thing that matters.

Tpknueven

I am currently building a complete VR helicopter set up that I will get FAA certified. Some of the aerodynamics in the current xplane Gyros are not accurate but they should be fixable.