Gyro instruction

KCBII

I live in Deland, Fla. and looking for gyro instruction. I hold a ppl w/td and 400hrs. or so. First time in a gyro was a couple of weeks ago at the Deland airshow, the guy was not very enthusiastic, don't remember the name of the machine but it was an enclosed side by side not a very exhilarating ride. Eventually I would be interested in a Dominator type single, but I better get some stik time first. I would appreciate any input that would further my quest to fly gyros! Been watching from the side lines for years.

Check with Greg Spicola out of Tampa North Airport, very good instructor, trains in AR-1. (813) 505-0881.

Greg has a light two place Dominator that is as close to a single place Dominator as you can get for training.

Good Instructor with a great instructional manner.

He also won the “ Prettiest Pilot Award” at the Wrens fly In !!!!!!!

Ok...thanks for his recommendation...he said he is busy but didnt say no...so waitin for an opening in schedule!

Why was it not a exhilarating ride? Was it due to being enclosed? I find all gyro flights to be exhilarating. The AR-1 in open configuration is a blast to fly.

Is there a list of all the CURRENT gyroplane flight instructors in the USA.

As far as I know this is as good as it gets.

https://pra.org/default.aspx?p=Training

It is not exactly up to date.

It doesn’t take long to find out someone has given up training and letting the PRA know may help them keep the list more up to date.

The PRA is all volunteers so they can use the help.

Some instructors have a website and most of us know other gyroplane CFIs.

I don’t recall anyone in Kentucky.

If you are looking for a Sport Pilot, Gyroplane add on rating it can be done quickly and the distance is not that big a challenge.

For a primary student (no other ratings) having a more local CFI has value as the learning process may be protracted.

As a primary student I drove over a thousand miles for each visit to a flight instructor and often only got to fly an hour a day as the wind would come up.

I feel it was worth the effort.

For most CFIs it is not a financially sustainable occupation so there tends to be a high turnover.

Which is OK. There are people who are not on that list that are active instructors. I have flown some with Gary Goldsberry and Brent Drake.
Both are good instructors in Indiana and are in chapter 34. It would be nice to have list that is up to date. I will see what I can come up with.

Last edited: