Gyro Down in Mesa County Colorado

Heart-attack Downunder .....

Heart-attack Downunder .....

When I saw the "threadline" Gyro down in CO.... I about died with dread :Cry: ... I'd seen Airgyro / Michael's posting & pics about flying to Telluride on Facebook ... who else COULD it be!!!??? :noidea:

SO Thankful it was described as a hard landing in tough terrain & Michael has great gyro expertise & a cool head & one of the best instructors around with emergency landing routines /training ... he's the man to mitigate a real potential disaster ... to a survivable - "walk-away" one!
I'm sure his flight planning - ATC communications & proper pilotage skills ... allowed the search-rescue response to be optimal also!

So thankful ..PTL & God bless for a quick recovery & full healing! (Buggered-up backs are a "b-ich"!!!)

Look forward to the malfunction cause analysis & discussion!

Been reading the marvelous ASRA publication GYRONEWS here ... good reviews of some of the acc/incidents down here the last cuppla years! ....Learning ... Learning! :yo:

Best to Mike & Josh .... speedy recovery!

I was contacted by text from his phone this afternoon.
I think it might have been his wife. He was expected to be released this afternoon evening with a special back brace to recover in the Provo area about 200 miles away. Yes he did break a vertebrae. He is expected to make a full recovery.
Having had two of those back surgeries my self in the last two years I can only imagine how he is feeling right now.
They thank all those who are keeping him in there prayers.

So sorry to hear of his accident. Highly relived to hear the positive outcome of what could have been a tragedy.

Accidents happen to the best of us, our training and skill sometime able to mitigate the end result.

Johnny - thank you for posting that news link.

Interesting insight from the lead pilot of the two macines.

The TV report did well to mention the FAA, NTSB, licensing, training, yearly inspection, build log and the EAA etc - interesting that the media referred to the EAA for comment and not the PRA. More profile needed.

High elevation mountain flying will bite even the most experienced pilots sometimes,

I have 230 turbocharged horses and have seen times when I thought even that amount

was not going to be enough to save my butt when flying at high altittudes in rough terrain.

however It appears that he did a really good job of saving there lives. I wish michael a

speedy recovery.

Best regards,eddie.....

Guys...having trained w/ Mike, flown recreationally w/ Mike, and having had him provide the first test flight of my machine, I would just like to offer that as details develop, I am positive that this incident will turn out as a testament to the safety of the gyroplane, in the hands of a well qualified pilot. My guess is that under the same circumstances, with any other type aircraft, the outcome would be substantially more grave. The details and investigation will tell the tale.

Yes, this is a setback in our community and there may be some upcoming concessions we will all be saddled with, but as they say, "what does not kill us only makes us stronger". My best wishes to Mike and Josh. Myself, along w/ many other's, are here to help in any way we can, to put all back on track.

Guys...having trained w/ Mike, flown recreationally w/ Mike, and having had him provide the first test flight of my machine, I would just like to offer that as details develop, I am positive that this incident will turn out as a testament to the safety of the gyroplane, in the hands of a well qualified pilot. My guess is that under the same circumstances, with any other type aircraft, the outcome would be substantially more grave. The details and investigation will tell the tale.

Yes, this is a setback in our community and there may be some upcoming concessions we will all be saddled with, but as they say, "what does not kill us only makes us stronger". My best wishes to Mike and Josh. Myself, along w/ many other's, are here to help in any way we can, to put all back on track.

Can't say I understand all the kudos and I don't think they give out awards for flying into box canyons. It is nice, however, to see such friendly support.

Concessions?? What am I missing here..?

Terribly Sorry to hear about Michael, glad he will be ok. Never met him, but talked to him once on the phone. Nice guy, hope for a speedy recovery.

I could not get a hold of Mike but Troy called me back. Mike is still in the hospital in Colorado and Troy hopes to bring him home in a day or two. A little healin and he should be good as new. Did mention that the Fed's have already descended at Airgyro looking for logbooks.

I got to know Mike a bit at the 2011 Rotors over the Rockies event. He was very busy giving flight instructions, which speaks to his abilities as a CFI. Glad to hear that apparently no permanent damage was done to his spine although a spine is a rather fragile thing when it comes into the years.

I hope that he will recover speedily and continue with the sport,

-- Chris.

I love night flying for several reasons but I would be terrified flying in MOUNTAINOUS terrain at night. I am so glad they are OK.

IMHO, mountain flying comes with its own gremlins; and as the day progresses, things change even more in the mountains. Valley winds, slope winds, etc. change direction a lot towards evening. Updrafts change to downdrafts. Visibility gets poor on the shadow side of mountains. Reserve of power and ridge crossing techniques are important to keep in mind. An exit plan is a must, if a ridge cannot be crossed.

Glad that the pilots made it safely with minor injuries and hope Mike recovers quickly.

I'm very happy that Mike and his passenger will recover, and from what I read, sounds like possibly an engine related issue. What did bother me in the article I just read was the line
"But many are questioning the safety behind these unique aircrafts that are a mix between a helicopter and an airplane." (quotations added)

Really? Just who are these un-named individuals that they qot this tidbit from? It's bad enough that 2 guys had an accident that a fixed wing aircraft may well have not had survivors, and once again we see gyro bashing out there by people who probably have little experience or knowledge of how they fly. I realize it's only 1 line, and not "bashing" in the typical sense, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. My 2 cents...

Terry - do you think gyros have a good safety record.

The cause is unknown - contributing factors maybe the engine, maybe weight, maybe height related, maybe icing, maybe fatigue, maybe tricky mountain uplift and winds, maybe a combination of these and other factors.

The Rotax engine isn't infallible but is a pretty rock solid aero engine - this Calidus was brand new in summer 2014.

Hopefully in due course a report will produce conclusions.

I wonder if the wreckage is accessible - maybe too high and too remote in winter weather for the examiners.

N50NE is listed in the FAA database as having a Rotax 912 engine