Gyro Down in Mesa County Colorado

more info via the local sheriff - at least 16 rescuers in snowmobiles - congrats to those rescuers for finding them - the sheriff says

""The two men are from Utah and were traveling back to Spanish Fork, Utah, when the gyroplane crashed on private property, in a very remote area of Western Colorado.""

more here

http://www.mcsonews.com/2015/01/gyroplane-crash-reported-in-mesa-county.html

Would this accident be in the Telluride area of Colorado ?

That would be Michael Burton and whomever was flying with him to Telluride.

The AirGyro Facebook page shows several stunning photos of flights high up to 10,000ft in the Telluride area of Colorado yesterday - images show a Cavalon and also a Calidus up in the snowy mountains.

Photos and their captions can be found here

https://www.facebook.com/Airgyro

First brief details are now on the FAA

"AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES. EXPERIMENTAL AUTOGYRO. GRAND JUNCTION, CO"

Registration given as N50NE - this is a Calidus ( I think its the one in the Star Wars video linked here a while back ) - unfortunately the injury column shows "Serious".

I wish them a fully and speedy recovery.

I am sure Mike will let us know what went wrong. I am sure glad they made it out alive.

Oh no. I hope they will get well soon. I hope Michael is ok.

I just heard that it was Mike Burton, that was flown to the Hospital. It looks like he suffered a broken vertebrae, but is OK and will recover. God speed my friend!

Thank you, Jesus !!!

fj

QUOTE=GyroDoug;595832]I just heard that it was Mike Burton, that was flown to the Hospital. It looks like he suffered a broken vertebrae, but is OK and will recover. God speed my friend![/QUOTE]

Oh no! Horrible to hear, but sounds like it could have been worse!

:-(

The Sheriff is good at posting updates - here's the latest

""Update at 9:30 a.m. -- Once the second crash victim was brought out of the field, he was ultimately transported to St. Mary's Hospital by the Grand Junction Fire Department. Initially, this victim had refused medical services.

An inquiry has been placed with St. Mary's Hospital about both men's status in the hospital and their conditions. We hope to provide that update here soon and anticipate releasing their names today, as well. Check back for updates or enroll your email in the box on the right side of the blog to receive updates in your email box.""

more news from The Sheriff,

""Update at 11 a.m. -- The pilot of the downed gyroplane, who was also transported to St. Mary's Hospital via Careflight from the crash scene, is Mike Burton, 53, of Pleasant Grove, Utah. The passenger of the plane, who initially declined medical attention, but later was transported by ambulance to St. Mary's Hospital, is Josh Humphries, 30, of Payson, Utah.""

sounds like a difficult rescue - congratulations to all the rescue service members - mountains, canyons, snow, darkness and freezing conditions.

""The initial call came in around 5:30 p.m. and was made from a person inside the aircraft. Delta County Dispatch was able to determine that there were two men on board the gyrocopter-type aircraft, and the caller was able to provide an approximate GPS location of the crash.

After staging in the area, officials with the Glade Park Fire Department determined they would need help finding the crash victims.

They called in the CareFlight helicopter to perform a search using night vision equipment.

CareFlight was able to locate the crash site - a remote, canyon-laden area approximately 12 miles southeast of the Glade Park Fire Station - however they were unable to land.

Heavy snow on the ground in the area meant a snowmobile rescue effort was required to reach the scene. A ground rescue team used the snowmobiles to reach the crash sight and begin treatment and removal of both victims.

At approximately 10:15 p.m. the ground team found a place for the CareFlight helicopter to land and requested transport of one man to an area hospital.

The second man initially refused medical services, but he was eventually transported via snowmobile to a waiting ambulance, which then took them to the hospital.

Authorities with the Glade Park Fire Department, Grand Junction Fire Department, Mesa County Sheriff's Department, and Mesa County Search and Rescue all respond to the incident.""

Vance Breeze
Can you offer more details?

I cannot offer more details Stephen.

I called Air Gyro this morning and got the answering machine.

It appears to me based on the reports that I have read that Michael and Josh were coming back from Telluride, Colorado when they had a hard off field landing in some challenging terrain.

The rescue went well but Michael’s back hurts.

I wish them a speedy recovery.

Regards, Vance

I pray they both recover soon and not have any lasting affects.
I got to fly with Michael in FL. he is a wonderful pilot and he has done so much for the sport.

Michael is a great guy, a great pilot, and a great instructor. Hope he heals up soon and gets back in the saddle.