Gyramblings of a gyro-gypsy!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
BACK to BEAUMONT ... the fly-in hotel with airplane parking outside - in the KS flint hills - with the historic wooden railway water-tower and an ever popular restaurant destination for pilots & drive-ins alike!

Today our son Josh & GF Sarah invited me to meet them for lunch in Emporia KS ( where they are attending a wedding today) ... the weather is superb - so I flew up ... but first .... I finally made it to the Saturday pilot's fly-in breakfast gathering @ Beaumont! http://beaumonthotelks.com/!

I preflighted yesterday afternoon & all ready to roll after setting up go-pro camera in the dimly lit hangar ... as the first light was creeping into the sky! My hangar neighbor & friends ... were off & happy to see me finally able to join them for Saturday breakfast! The direct flight path from KEWK to 07S comes right over our farm! ... many a time I have wistfully looked up @ the Beaumont breakfast fliers outbound &/or returning ... & said to myself "ONE DAY"!!!

TODAY ... was that "one-day"!! ... & what a gorgeous day ... although I didn't think anything will come close to that first (OZ'rora) expedition on a misty/low cloudy morn to Beaumont alongside Kent/MTO in 2014 - to meet Bob O & Laura for lunch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sbqxUw_X1s

... this morning's sunrise through the high cloud banks above ElDorado lake was spectacular! :D

The breakfast group were most congenial, the gyro always gets much attention ... one fellow - driving along the hyway -to go hiking @ Fall River - saw me coming around on my final approach & diverted into town to get pictures of this strange flying machine!

The tailwind on my northbound leg ... boosted my groundspeed to 85kts ... so i arrived plenty early in Emporia ... again ... a great welcome ...apparently I was the first gyro to land there! Roger Storrer lives close by & he's looking hard at fulfilling a dream to get into gyros ... we'd met @ the Newton EAA fly-in a month ago ... & he became my first passenger - to fly 2-up in N234TE - when we went for a fly around his home area while awaiting my ride to lunch!
Had a lovely time with Josh & Sarah ..enjoyed sharing an artisan pizza & creme brulle @ http://radiusbrewing.com/!

The flight back to KEWK was delightful ..enjoying the sights of the fall colors of the Flint-hills rangeland & the last of the soybeans being harvested in the farm fields! The afternoon thermals & wind-waves ... kept my attention on altitude management ... & the rock'n-rolling made me appreciate the joy of flying a sling-wing!

More fun anticipated tomorrow ...as the magic flying weather continues!:wave:

Attachments

• IMG_4260.jpg
    IMG_4260.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4261.JPG
    IMG_4261.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 4

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
What a personal adventure!

What a personal adventure!

Thank you, Chris, for relating the experience!
Great photos of you alongside your Magic Carpet Ride...

okikuma

Hi Chris,

Great photos and flight! Thanks for taking me along.

As I was driving home from work Friday morning, I was taking in the gorgeous weather we were experiencing in SoCal. When I was at home, I watched the Chicago Cubs celebration on WGN and noticed the same type gorgeous weather they were experiencing there in Chiago. Now with your photos, I see you too experienced the wonderful weather, exactly what I and the "Chicagoeans" had experienced on Friday.

BTW, earlier today I was able to see up close a brand new John Deere 6130 6m Series Tractor when my wife and I were in Ventura. A wonderful machine!

Wayne

Last edited:

Gman

Aircraft
SnoBird Tandem
Hi Chris,

Thanks so much for letting me tag along with you on a beautiful adventure. Although my adventures are on Terra Firma right now, some day I hope to enjoy the views from above, bringing a new perspective to my already wonderful life.

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
Well, I couldn't allow Christine to have all the fun by herself. So I stopped in Kansas today for a fun day of flying OZ'rora with her. We flew from Newton City County Airport (KEWK) out over the farm in Fickerville and then on to Beaumont for a $100 grilled ham and cheese sammich. It was more windy than I'm typically comfortable with (double digits out of the south), but OZ'rora handled it well and we made it ok. It was my first ever landing and take-off from a grass strip. The landing was surprisingly smooth, but the take-off was a bit tricky with the wind and all. Well, that and I hadn't ever done it before, and it was only the 3rd time I'd taken off in that aircraft.
It was a very fun time. We had time to sit and talk at lunch and just enjoy the time. My job allows me to do these things and I couldn't be more grateful for it.
Thank you, Christine, for showing an old guy a good time.
Here's a dopey pic.
And a couple of clips of the flight. https://youtu.be/ANUWHjCnS0s

Attachments

• G0010540.jpg
    G0010540.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Good to see you enjoying the freedom of the skies Chris.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Magic weekend!

Magic weekend!

What could be better than 5 hours of flying around on an extended "Indian summer" weekend ... perfect temps & spectacular Kansas farm/rangeland fall scenery! :D .... just getting to share it with our very special fellow butterfly-flier! :wave:

Enjoying lunch with Josh & Sarah after finally getting to the Beaumont pilot fly-in breakfast , flying crosscountry into new airport.... sharing a flight with Roger on Sat - was GREAT! ..... then the extra fun of spending several happy hours yesterday with Glenn - simply gyro-grinn'n brilliant!!!

GK - you da "Butterfly master" - for first time in a "related-but-different" gyro - you were VERY SMOOTH with those TO's & landings ... the camera never shows what our seat feels & ...Gopro ...makes it look awesome! I think OZ'rora likes you - much smoother than her ham fisted owner! :lol: It was great to see her get a good outing! :yo:
Thanks for braving your life in someone else's gyro & facing down your wind-demons ... pretty average day in KS! ;)

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you for sharing the fun Chris and Glen.

Thank you for sharing the fun Chris and Glen.

How did the 912 compare to your Yamaha Glen?

We are having amazing flying weather here in Nipomo too.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Thanks for sharing your flying adventures!!!

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
How did the 912 compare to your Yamaha Glen?

Good question, Vance. Wish I could give you a sufficient answer. I wasn't really paying attention to that. There were many other things occupying my thoughts... First time flying OZ'rora, windy, cross country flight, windy, grass strip landing, really windy (from my perspective)...
What I can tell you is that a comparison as such would be difficult. The two aircraft, while very similar models, are quite different from one another. Different weight and balance, different control characteristics (engine and aircraft)... I would have to get much more familiar with OZ'rora before I could compare the engines.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
A few pics taken @ Beaumont KS

A few pics taken @ Beaumont KS

They've added a few new things to the "Outdoor Museum" area - since I was first there, doing my solo XC training run with Desmon ... then again 2 years ago when I flew in with Kent!

They are making a longer runway to the east of the current strip ... lots of dirtworks & they had removed the tree -row that made TO's to the south ...a bit worrisome with wind eddys and the obstacle clearance!

RV park & pads going in ... will be quite upscale by next summer! ( Maybe too nice for the "heartland rotorcraft event" ... I was planning there!) :eek:hwell:

Attachments

• IMG_4263.jpg
    IMG_4263.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4264.jpg
    IMG_4264.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4265.jpg
    IMG_4265.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4262.jpg
    IMG_4262.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_4266.jpg
    IMG_4266.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 2

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Great pictures Chris!!! Looks like I'd could fly my 582 over there with many safe landing zones, cannot wait for a flight of 2 or more with you!!!

As to up scale get to know the management as soon as they move in. Offer to take them for a ride over there property!!

Then right after the flight explain that a group of very interesting aircraft would like to go there and the potential profit if you work together?
Or you will have to go elsewhere.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Fabulous fall-colors flight ...

Fabulous fall-colors flight ...

- even if the GoPro platform is not the best to show it ... I had an awesome 1.5 hrs wandering around the district ... a "fly-by" & Y&B ... around the field next to Courtney & Adrian's new house ... did the annual aerial farm picture of our place & the neighbors too! Wandered around Marion Lake ... Kent - these ones( # 2 & 6) for you - remembering our flight up there 2 years ago?

The air was cool with great climb & maneuvering bite in the rotor! ... about time to break out the insulated suit ... I'm still feeling chilled! :eek:

Another magic day ... I had blast helping with the EAA 88 monthly pancake breakfast 7-11 am ... got a horse paddock fence project done ... then went & played on a picturesque late afternoon ... love the long shadows & late day coloring ... near full moon on the rise ... see if you can spot it ... I need a different type of camera to get the "detail & zoom views" ( hoping for the new solo-shot camera to mount up & hand aim ... when they finally get it to market! )
As BLAH as this forum has been lately & lackluster response to the few fun postings ... i'm just posting a few of my 40 odd pics ... if you want more - & are FB friends ... you know where to view them! :boink:

Harvest is wrapping up ...a few still finishing up the soybeans!
Marion lake dam wall
Toevs farm
approach to Marion airport.
Kansas fall field tapestry & rising moon!
fall colors in trees @ marion lake
Hillsboro town.

Attachments

• GOPR0150.jpg
    GOPR0150.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0165.jpg
    GOPR0165.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0152.jpg
    GOPR0152.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0160.jpg
    GOPR0160.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0179.jpg
    GOPR0179.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0164.jpg
    GOPR0164.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0173.jpg
    GOPR0173.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1
  • GOPR0169.jpg
    GOPR0169.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 1

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
EAA 88 monthly breakfast @ Jabara AAO

EAA 88 monthly breakfast @ Jabara AAO

Just some pics of our local EAA88 group ...enjoying our monthly fundraiser!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 1

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Forgot to checkmy camera battery...

Forgot to checkmy camera battery...

so took these with Ipad - post one @ atime ... bear with me! :rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Sounded like a lot of fun, you & Glenn flying gyros cross-country!

Especially that Glenn was flying a new-to-him machine, in windy conditions, as well as off a grass strip. All new to him. From the video, it looked like he was already experienced in those things!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Where DID the week go ....?????

Where DID the week go ....?????

Sounded like a lot of fun, you & Glenn flying gyros cross-country!

Especially that Glenn was flying a new-to-him machine, in windy conditions, as well as off a grass strip. All new to him. From the video, it looked like he was already experienced in those things!
Yep ... he doesn't credit himself enough with the fine job he did ... Sure hope the wind is waay down - next time he passes by with time on his hands! go do some fun flying around the farm fields! :D

I can't believe that was a week ago already!

I was planning to face down MY controlled airspace ( ICT's Charlie airspace) demons today ... by flying into one of our EAA /CAF friend's 80th B'day party @ Westport 71K (AKA "Dead Cow International") ... right close to ICT! ... but the 15kt winds forecast ... became stupid - 20 & gusting ... right along the flightpath ... quicker to drive than battle those headwinds & coupled with the ATC communication process - I'm so not current/proficient! - just a no-go ADM for me!

The birthday honoree Earl Long ... is the last local Bensen flier of the old PRA Chap ??? Wichita Wing & rotor club - he related a funny 'Jim" story @ Jim's memorial celebration! :yo:

I got to fly twice in the last week ... on perfect low wind days! ... better hope/luck next time Glenn! ;)

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Good aviation decision making Chris.

Good aviation decision making Chris.

I was planning to face down MY controlled airspace ( ICT's Charlie airspace) demons today ... by flying into one of our EAA /CAF friend's 80th B'day party @ Westport 71K (AKA "Dead Cow International") ... right close to ICT! ... but the 15kt winds forecast ... became stupid - 20 & gusting ... right along the flightpath ... quicker to drive than battle those headwinds & coupled with the ATC communication process - I'm so not current/proficient! - just a no-go ADM for me!

The birthday honoree Earl Long ... is the last local Bensen flier of the old PRA Chap ??? Wichita Wing & rotor club - he related a funny 'Jim" story @ Jim's memorial celebration! :yo:

I got to fly twice in the last week ... on perfect low wind days! ... better hope/luck next time Glenn! ;)

I feel one challenge at a time is best.
Just write out your radio calls with blanks and fill in the blanks.
Here is a sample of a class Charlie radio call sheet

SBA 13-990 R7/25 15R/R33L 15L/R33R
W 132.65 (805)681-0583 T 119.7 G 121.7
Approach W120.55 (151-329)E125.4 (330-150)
Santa Barbara App., Exp Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf
________miles to the_______With information ________
Make___________For__________Report______________
Santa Barbara Tower Exp Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf
Santa Barbara Ground, taxi to ____________________________
Clearance Delivery Exp Gyroplane 142 Mike Golf
R Departure to the ____________from runway 7/25
Squawk ________________Fly___________________
at or below__________________
Holding short of runway_______________
Ready for departure

You contact departure, altitude is verified and they take care of the rest of the details.

Texasautogyro

Gyro Master Instructor
Aircraft
AutoGyro MTO Sport/Cessna 172
Total Flight Time
6400 with over 2400 in gyro
I am sorry Vance that looks almost to confusing to me. And I do that every day.

Usually I find it short and sweet even flying out of DFW.

Most towered airports just need to know who you are where you are and what you want. This is the same for on the ground or inbound. Then they tell you what to do. If a studend or pilot is rusty I suggest you 1st study the airport of Intended use so you know what's going on and any known procedures. Then listen on the radio and pic out a aircraft and listen to learn the lingo. This helps a ton. If you have not done it for a long time fly with an instructor to get refreshed. Most towered airport want you to call them inbound at about 5-7 miles out and give them your current altitude. However where I fly and in Merrill field in anchorage Alaska they are so busy at the classD airport they want 10 miles. Also some very unique class D towered airports have VFR arrivals to enter the airspace. This is very spacific in Alaska and you will be in violation if you do not know or study them first.