Gun competition today

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ihave been wound up for over a month after signing up for this pistol shooting match at a new gun range nearby. It is a state of the art facility with very professional people running it. Cops....SWAT team members, SWAT team leader, snipers.....etc.

There are 44 entered into this competition and this just brings back my old competitive juices from my muzzle loading competition days. I have never fired a pistol in competition but have squirrel hunted with them all my life. I just have to pretend that white oval on the target is a squirrel!

I posted a picture of my practice target that I shot at the range two days ago. The shots on that target were all at 15 yards. I had one flyer out of the white oval....but it was still a 10. The actual contest will have us fire 5 shots at 5 yards.....5 shots at 10 yards....5 shots at 15 yards...and 5 shots at 25 yards. The top half of the 44 shooters gets to move on to shoot the round again...where the group will be cut in half ...etc...etc...till the final round. That pistol of mine is a Hi-Standard...Supermatic Trophy pistol....Our USA Olympic team shot this same pistol in the Olympics back in the 70;s. I bought that pistol brand new in 1971....it is 43 years old!

I love this stuff....and will post my results if its in last place....1st place....or the likely somewhere in between!

Here is a link to the this state of the art facility. Go to the instructor page and you will see the high credentials of these guys. Some of them are signed up for this match.

All I can say is that I am competing against myself....I have been practicing for a month just becoming a better pistol shot. It already has been worth the $20 entry fee even if I place dead last. I love this stuff.

Here is the link to the facility. You can scroll down to the Independence Day shoot out which actually is this morning.

http://www.highcalibertrainingcenter.com/

Stan

Attachments

• FOT6961.jpg
    FOT6961.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gyrodeputy

Total Flight Time
200 and growing
I hope you take the time to watch the other shooters. I learn more as a firearms instructor about what not to do than trying to train myself. Hope that makes sense. Lol. Can't wait to see how your doing / did!

REDHORSE556CES

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
200+
Shootin' match

Shootin' match

I could never hit much of anything with a semi-auto. But give me a wheel gun (revolver) and I might not shoot the 'X' out but I could come pretty darn close.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Had the most fun coming in 2nd place

Had the most fun coming in 2nd place

What a rush. We started all shooting our relays. Each relay...the herd of shooters gets cut in half.

A perfect score is 200 with all 20 shots in the white oval. Each relay I dropped one out of the ten ring...but had a lot of 'X's. I scored a 199 and various number of 'X's each and every relay.

Until the 4th relay...when the herd was really getting thinned down....no one else had shot a 199. I made it to the final four where we had our last relay.

Once again I shot a 199.....dropping a 9 at 25 yards. When the relay was over....we had to wait in another room while they were scoring the targets.

The range officer came out and said we had a tie....there were two of us that had shot a 199. Another guy and myself. The range officer says that they break ties by who shot the most 'X's in the last relay. I had 15 'X's"...and congratulations to the other competitor who had 16 'X's. I lost by one 'X' and never had so much fun loosing by such a little amount.

What I see is potentially winning this thing. One better shoot a 200 with lots of "X"s......

They are fast.....they already have the results up on their facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/highcalibertrainingcenter

The range officer said he never had seen such high scores. There were many shooting in the 196-198 area.

What is tough is that it is possible to shoot all perfect 200 scores with all 'X's' and get to the final round...and compete against someone who didn't score an x at all or even shoot a 200. But the winner is decided by who makes it to the last relay, no matter what....and wins that last relay.

Here are the winners. Ist place on the left....myself with a 2nd place...and the third place winner on the right.

My targets are posted and if you look closely....you can count the 15 X shots I had....and my index finger pointing to the one flyer I had...

Stan

Attachments

• WP_20140705_10_58_50_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140705_10_58_50_Pro.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 0
  • WP_20140705_12_12_28_Pro.jpg
    WP_20140705_12_12_28_Pro.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

greg spicola

Aircraft
AR-1 /Dom 2 place/ Anything with Rotorblades/
Total Flight Time
2600+ in gyros 510 in helicopter
Outstanding Stan !

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
Great result, Stan, congratulations. I only shot the P8 pistol during my army bout, never missed at 25 m. However, I could not reliably predict, whether it was going to be toe or hair.
That pattern is awsome!!!!

Kai.

Roundwing

What is tough is that it is possible to shoot all perfect 200 scores with all 'X's' and get to the final round...and compete against someone who didn't score an x at all or even shoot a 200. But the winner is decided by who makes it to the last relay, no matter what....and wins that last relay.

Stan

As long as everyone has to play by the same rules its OK.

Shoot well enough to get to the final round then really constipate (tighten it up):)

Great shooting Stan!

Rick

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Thanks guys....and a big thank you to my family who knows how competitively wired I am.

I am having a cerebral tug-of- war ......between flying my helicopter and rekindling my shooting competition.

If I ever lose my medical, I won't ever be bored.

This is so much fun, and I could shoot a lot better with practice and discipline. Nothing like competition to improve ones self. Of course the group of shooters I was involved with are all motivated to come back again over Labor Day weekend, and probably all shoot as a group even better.

Stan

gyrodeputy

Total Flight Time
200 and growing
Nice job Stan. I had no idea you were that good of a shot!!! I am once again impressed.

Was it a timed event or slow fire?

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Heath- 5 shots....30 seconds. Malfunctions are allowed to try to finish their target.

This is my first pistol competition in my life. I am hard on myself and should be able to tighten my groups .