Group 5 Helicycle for Sale

ylf

Aircraft
T-Bird2 / Helicycle
Total Flight Time
I have decided to put my Helicycle up for sale. It was completed and first flown in 2013 and has accumulated 158 trouble-free hrs. However, at the last oil change I discovered small metal flakes in the main transmission filter. Bore scope investigation found a small chip on the face of one pinion tooth, so the transmission will need removed and sent to Eagle R&D for inspection/repair.

As I had already been considering selling and moving to another project, I have decided to see if there is any interest by someone wanting to get a great helicopter at a reduced price in trade for some elbow grease and wrench turning.

Complete build log: http://www.mykitlog.com/ylf

Flying videos and build pictures: www.youtube.com/c/hcopter

SOLD

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 6
  • 1275758_10200146527419627_1986471521_o.jpg
    1275758_10200146527419627_1986471521_o.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Snap_003.jpg
    Snap_003.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Still available, price lowered. Sure wish the prices were this low when I was looking to buy 6 years ago.

Mike

Mike
I would jump all over yours today at the price but for my initial Helicycle investment I would prefer to not remove the transmission for any repair or potential repair . It is a great price and absolutely beautiful .

Heliboy- I am going to be as honest as I can with you. Mike hasn't a clue I am going to say this. I saw his beautifully built Helicycle fly in to Branson, Missouri where I was staying. It is a steal at that price!!! Its not that big of a deal having the transmission fixed. My Helicycle sold for over $20,000 more. Its a group 5!!!! Meaning it has the newest engine mount.

I could almost buy it myself but I am happy being a surface dweller and doing other things. I can voutch that Mike did an exceptional job building it, and his work exceeds what I did on mine.

Stan : I highly respect your input and agree its an incredible value. But I think as an experienced builder it may not be a big issue for you with transmission change out but for me at this point in the venture it would be . I think for someone with even minimal change out experience and access to a transmission its no question a steal. I truly appreciate your input on your personal experience with it. I think its commendable that he put the information out there and is upfront on exactly what it needs.

Stan : Regarding changeout : How difficult is that to perform ? Im sure there are others as well that would be interested in this information. It sounds a bit intimidating at first glance but it may be much less of an issue.

Last edited:
It would take awhile to get it out , but it would take more explaining than I feel like typing. I would just contact Homer Bell and see what he would charge to change it out. I am going to butt out...I just had to give my opinion which is worth what you had to pay for it!

Stan: Your input is valuable . I think I likely asked questions others may be thinking.

Its definitely a steal and a deal for the right person

Mike,

If no one except Eagle R&D has had wrenches on your MRGB, they should be willing to fix it for you for FREE because the mounting distance was not correct when the gearbox was initially set up. It is very clear the contact patch was happening wayyy out toward the heel of the teeth which is known to cause failure.

stockg14.gif

http://www.arrowgear.com/pdf_files/design.pdf

Last edited:
Stan - thanks for the kind words, I wish we'd of had more time that day to visit and talk Helicycles.

Heliboy - I estimate it would take me 20-30 hrs of work to remove the transmission, including all the little things like building a fixture to support the engine and frame. I'm told it can come out without removing the engine by removing the rear gear hoop. Of course the blades, head and swash need to come off first as well as the lower fuel tanks.

Bryan - The MRGB is as it came from Eagle, I agree that there was some issue with the gears that caused this. Only that one pinion tooth shows any damage visible via bore scope so I was suspecting a flaw in the metal or surface hardening. Eagle has seen the pictures and a video taken from the scope but won't speculate until they can look at it.

Mike

Mike : Thank you for providing more specifics regarding the timeline for removal. I'm speaking soley from the standpoint of an interested consumer that would love to have a Helicycle in my newly built hangar. I know its time consuming but it would certainly not take you long to sell her if the transmission were not an issue. Again I think is commendable that you even put the transmission bore scope picture up to view . That type of transparency really shows a great deal of respect and character on your part .

If you factor 25 hours to take out and 25 hours to put back in at even a high cost of $75/hr for A&P : adding that cost on to your current price to total: $48,500 . Im unsure of the cost for a new gearbox but I dont believe it would be more than $3000-4000 . As well kept and beautiful as your ship is you could easily sell it out for your original $52,000 if the transmission were not an issue.

Do you know the cost of a new main transmission ? Again these are questions I believe others may wonder as well when considering the overall picture to get her in tip top shape at such as great price.

The factory told me it would be about $3000 to overhaul the trans with new gears.