Ground effect in a gyroplane?

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
This thread arouses a few of my controversial OPINIONS and I have to speak. Again, all this is my OPINION and I have never even sat in a gyro.
I am a US Army trained heli guy with just shy of 1000 hours in CH-47D's, UH-1H's, and the illustrious TH-55.

* Any "flang-wang-thang" that flies in forward flight with lift produced by an overhead rotor, IS substantially similar in its aerodynamics.
* A "private pilot knowledge level" education in rotary wing aerodynamics will be enough to give an adequate foundation to fly either gyro or helicopter safely at the private pilot level, as you develop a deeper understanding of the material.
* A private license is an entry level "license to learn." A PhD is not a requirement.
* The only gyros I would ever go up in is one of the two with a type certificate or an experimental with the engine and prop in the FRONT.
* Agree w/Wasp that there are 20,000 idiots flying and there's 100 hour pilots who are "naturals" and can fly anything well without being taught.
* I come from a time when private pilot students usually soloed below ten hours and rarely took more than 50 to get their license.
* The ARMY soloed us in the TH-55 on the 21st training day. 21x1.3= 27.3 hours.

Greg Vos

Aircraft
R44/22 H269/300 MD 500 Magni (all); Xenon RST; DTA; ELA; MTO
Total Flight Time
2480 odd (1300 gyro hours & counting)
This thread arouses a few of my controversial OPINIONS and I have to speak. Again, all this is my OPINION and I have never even sat in a gyro.
I am a US Army trained heli guy with just shy of 1000 hours in CH-47D's, UH-1H's, and the illustrious TH-55.

* Any "flang-wang-thang" that flies in forward flight with lift produced by an overhead rotor, IS substantially similar in its aerodynamics.
* A "private pilot knowledge level" education in rotary wing aerodynamics will be enough to give an adequate foundation to fly either gyro or helicopter safely at the private pilot level, as you develop a deeper understanding of the material.
* A private license is an entry level "license to learn." A PhD is not a requirement.
* The only gyros I would ever go up in is one of the two with a type certificate or an experimental with the engine and prop in the FRONT.
* Agree w/Wasp that there are 20,000 idiots flying and there's 100 hour pilots who are "naturals" and can fly anything well without being taught.
* I come from a time when private pilot students usually soloed below ten hours and rarely took more than 50 to get their license.
* The ARMY soloed us in the TH-55 on the 21st training day. 21x1.3= 27.3 hours.
I suggest you go and fly in a gyroplane with an instructor and then comment on the similar flight characteristics of a Heli and a gyro

I’m not a military heli pilot but I do have 1300 odd hours of heli under the belt and similar in gyro, a GYRO IS NOTHING LIKE A HELI!
A heli as you know requires zero fwd speed to fly ( it’s called hovering!) it has the ability to control rotor pitch and Rrpm please explain how you as top gun seem to think they make the lift in the same way? A gyro in fwd flight is more of a controlled parachute overhead and has little in comparison with any helicopter ....just my opinion as a Gyro CFI and heli pilot and ex Aircraft Pilot
im TIBA on this one

ps a gyroplane is more a fixed wing tail dragger by the comments of high time gyro instructors ...A heli has collective pitch a gyro is a fixed pitch sir with respect ... and while I don’t want to be in a competition for the record I went solo with a Helicopter at 7 hours.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
* The only gyros I would ever go up in is one of the two with a type certificate .
a GYRO IS NOTHING LIKE A HELI!
. . .
ps a gyroplane is more a fixed wing tail dragger by the comments of high time gyro instructors ...A heli has collective pitch a gyro is a fixed pitch
Bryan and Greg-

If you two were to fly one of the fully articulated gyros that Bryan mentioned, you would have some common basis for agreement. They behave very much like a helicopter, with similar stick feel and control lag, stability (or should I say instability?) and limited collective control. They are nothing like a fixed wing taildragger (they land without forward speed and with no groundloop tendency; and the rudder pedals do not require adjustment for any aileron drag (obviously) while turning). The cyclic hand flying the rotor feels very much like it did in my old Sikorsky (while the other hand mostly manages prop rpm, mixture, throttle, and two-position collective).

Last edited: