Greetings from Missouri

3willie

I am an unabashed wannabe pilot.

After retiring a few years ago, I have taken up motorcycle riding and various other things that I did not have time for while working 60 hour work weeks. Recently I had the chance to take a ride in a Magni 24 and confirmed that I would love flying this type of aircraft. I have no flight experience so do realize all training, etc is an absolute necessity. I am a very good mechanic and would love to build a two seat autogyro, so currently studying different options. My wife tells me I will have to get rid of some of current toys if I want to do something else.

My beautiful 1949 GMC truck was a frame off restoration by myself and nephew will soon be appraised and up for sale so perhaps I soon will be in the market for an aircraft or kit. I am leaning toward a side by side set up and do realize that aerodynamics are quite different from in line tandem set ups. Until things fit into place, I am enjoying this website, tips, thoughts and recommendations.

John, I have an RAF 2000 I'll sell for $12,800, it has 70hrs TT with 2002 RAF blades, an aircraft com radio as well as strobes and a Larry Boyer HS. [email protected] Stan PRA 41973

Welcome to the forum John .... I spent almost a week in your state of Missouri last fall .... I love the countryside .... the people .... the food and low prices .... I cant wait to return.

I see you are from Cape Girardeau .... as a long time Rush Limbaugh fan I am aware it is his home town and have liked the place ever since :) .... I enjoy the brilliant humor of Rush as he navigates the political spectrum.

I am not a gyro pilot yet .... only a helicopter guy and I haven't even done that for a while now .

If you are an unabashed wannabe pilot you will fit right in here.

If you have a convenient picture of your 1949 truck you should attempt to post it here .... some of us are car guys too .

Arnie

It was licenced in 2004, it has the 100 hp 1.8L sub with the holly 350 carb. I'm at the lake house this weekend so I'm not in a position to send pictures. It has had its 40hrs flown off and has 70hrs showing on the hobbs. I've not seen an email from you, I'll check my spam. [email protected] Stan PRA 41973

Cape Girardeau is a great place to live

Cape Girardeau is a great place to live

Lots of people know of Cape Girardeau because of Rush either good or bad. I view him as an entertainer who is darn good at what he does. I don't listen to him too much, but I am also a very conservative kind of guy. The pictures of the old 1949 GMC really do not show the paint job well. It is a beautiful baby blue with some Prismatique (sparkly type stuff that bounces the light like little prisms). Getting it professionally appraised soon and then will consider selling. Most people think it came out pretty well.

Attachments

• IMG_1634.jpg
    IMG_1634.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1630.jpg
    IMG_1630.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1636.jpg
    IMG_1636.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 0
You have done a very nice job restoring the 1949 truck John ..... I was showing your pictures to some family today and they really like it too .... we are all autobody guys and we think you did a great job on the restoration.

My dad had a 2 ton model with dual wheels and he used it for hauling grain on the farm in the 1950's .... I was about 6 years old and had watched him start it ...... so one day he was away , so I found the key which he had hidden in the big horn under the hood ..... I turned the ignition on ..... pumped the gas pedal three times .... pulled the choke like he always did .... and standing on the floor I hit the starter button beside the gas pedal

Thing started right up ..... trouble was it was in 1st gear and it went ahead 20 feet before I could shut it off.

I figured out where reverse gear was ... but I was too small to work the clutch so I tried to start it in reverse gear and killed the 6 volt battery trying to park it back where it was supposed to be .... I was caught and dad hid all his keys much better for the next 10 years :)

Good luck with your truck appraisal and gyro pursuits .

Hi John!!!

I talked to John and heard about his project with the 1949 GMC glad to see the pictures it's better than your description = SWEET!!!

John is also being modest... This thing was totally apart including the gauges he had to put back together. When he asked if he could build a gyroplane... I thought are you kidding after what you just put together and look at the job he did!

John, you will do fine as a builder! ... I should do so well?

Last edited:
You guys are being very kind about the old truck and id did come out pretty sweet. I put a 235 truck engine from a 1960-62 era truck per the block casting numbers. Decided to move away from the old Babbitt style engine. Started the appraisal process this week and should have a good solid appraisal to work from when starting to sell it. I had fun completing the project, but I really do not drive it much. Lots more fun to ride my motorcycle and dream about flying. An old friend took me up in his plane over the weekend and let me fly for a while. Just added fuel to the fire!!!