GREAT news for EAB in Kansas!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Just read our latest EAA Chap88 newsletter ...... :director:

This is wonderful news for EAB's in Kansas ... the (Newton) Harvey county Treasurer demanded their pound of flesh from me for the privilege of hangering my property on Harvey county soil last year! :mad::censored:

Amateur-built aircraft are now tax exempt in Kansas!
Sec. 5. K.S.A. 79-220 is hereby amended to read as follows: 79-220. The
following described property, to the extent herein specified, is hereby exempt from
all property or ad valorem taxes levied under the laws of the state of Kansas: Any
antique aircraft and amateur-built aircraft used exclusively for recreational or
display purposes or any combination thereof. The term ‘‘amateur-built aircraft’’
means an aircraft, manned or unmanned, the major portion of which has been
fabricated and assembled by a person or persons who undertook the construction
project solely for their own education or recreation. The provisions of this section
shall apply to all taxable years commencing after December 31, 2013

I did support the effort to encourage our KS House & Senate members to vote for this legislation ... looks like our letter writing campaign had the intended effect! :yo:

How about the Wind?

How about the Wind?

Just read our latest EAA Chap88 newsletter ...... :director:

This is wonderful news for EAB's in Kansas ... the (Newton) Harvey county Treasurer demanded their pound of flesh from me for the privilege of hangering my property on Harvey county soil last year! :mad::censored:

Amateur-built aircraft are now tax exempt in Kansas!
Sec. 5. K.S.A. 79-220 is hereby amended to read as follows: 79-220. The
following described property, to the extent herein specified, is hereby exempt from
all property or ad valorem taxes levied under the laws of the state of Kansas: Any
antique aircraft and amateur-built aircraft used exclusively for recreational or
display purposes or any combination thereof. The term ‘‘amateur-built aircraft’’
means an aircraft, manned or unmanned, the major portion of which has been
fabricated and assembled by a person or persons who undertook the construction
project solely for their own education or recreation. The provisions of this section
shall apply to all taxable years commencing after December 31, 2013

I did support the effort to encourage our KS House & Senate members to vote for this legislation ... looks like our letter writing campaign had the intended effect! :yo:

That is Great news Chris. Perhaps we need to try that here in Utah!

Now if you could just have the State House and Senate do something about that pesky wind, you'd have it made! :lol:

Wind - effects!!!

Wind - effects!!!

That is Great news Chris. Perhaps we need to try that here in Utah!

Now if you could just have the State House and Senate do something about that pesky wind, you'd have it made! :lol:

..... I suspect we'd have to appeal to a much higher authority to modify the weird global weather cycle!!! :lol:

In spite of all the hot air that blows from Topeka & especially Washington DC ....it's truly beyond their pay-grade!!! :flame:

Thanks for the update Chris. Here in Crawford county I was paying around 4% per year.

Mike

I hope I'm wrong, but looking at the Kansas legislature website it appears that this bill died in committee May 30th.

Mike

Attachments

• HB2542.JPG
    HB2542.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 1
WOW ... that'd be a bad deal! ...I wonder if our EAA Chapter ... jumped the gun!?????

Time to light a fire under some state senators I think!!!! :flame:

My property tax assessment came with a note that recent legislation affected it!!!!

Hmmm ... who to believe!?????

Chris,
I'm working on filling out the tax appeal forms to send in for the exemption but there's a $100 fee to file the appeal, and after seeing the senate web page I wondered if this is really a done deal or will I just be paying an extra $100 on top of my taxes.

If you find out anything one way or the other please post here, and I'll do the same.

Thanks,
Mike

This article http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...Homebuilders-win-tax-exemption-in-Kansas.aspx says the bill was signed by the governor May 14th so that sounds like it went through, not sure why the senate web site says it died in committee, maybe it split into a different bill number?

Edit: I see now that there is a link in the article to a different bill that also included the exemption, that explains it. So, good news after all!

Anyway, I have submitted my appeal for the exemption and received a card back from the state saying they received it and will let me know the outcome.

I does appear that it will only be granted if you built the aircraft yourself, not if you purchase a craft that lists someone else as the builder.

Mike

Last edited:
Whew!!!!

Whew!!!!

This article http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/...Homebuilders-win-tax-exemption-in-Kansas.aspx says the bill was signed by the governor May 14th so that sounds like it went through, not sure why the senate web site says it died in committee, maybe it split into a different bill number?

Edit: I see now that there is a link in the article to a different bill that also included the exemption, that explains it. So, good news after all!:whoo:

Anyway, I have submitted my appeal for the exemption and received a card back from the state saying they received it and will let me know the outcome.

I does appear that it will only be granted if you built the aircraft yourself, not if you purchase a craft that lists someone else as the builder.

Mike

You had me worried for a bit there Mike!

Glad you dug a bit deeper & clarified things! It didn't make sense that our EAAChapter88 .... made a big deal of the exemption ... if it wasn't final & signed!

I am slightly anxious about the value at which Bartow County will assess my Mini-500 when I apply for Registration with the FAA.

From the Tax Assesor's view, it could be $30k to $50k? From most on this forum, it's $2k or less...LOL!

Realistically, if it winds up at $10k or less, I'd be content.

Good News

Good News

I received a letter in the mail today from the state tax appeals committee stating that my exemption appeal has been approved.

Mike

Update

Update

After a "how-to-fill-out-the forms" presentation & help working through the forms at our local EAA Chap 88 monthly meeting last Sat eve ... today I submitted the stack-of-stuff required with the fee @ Hvy county appraisers office! Hopefully that is the end of the atrocious property tax levied on OZ'rora!
The office staff were most helpful & aware of the situation with EAB's ... I was the 2nd filing in Harvey county!

In Tennessee we do not have a Personal Property Use tax unless it is used in a business. Then, there is a use tax each year.
However, There is a SALES & USE TAX, which is 7% State and 2.75% Local (total 9.75%) The
State requests records from the FAA approx. every three years. They determine an estimated value of the purchase and charge the tax, with penalty and interest.
It is your responsibility to notify the State within 30 days and pay the proper tax when you make the purchase. Anything after that has a penalty and interest added to it. I know this well, two years post purchase and I received a Certified Letter from the Tennessee Department of Revenue demanding taxes due on an estimated value of twice what I paid for the Gyro. In their sand box those kids do not play fair! Through much debate and a trip to Nashville, I was able to prove what I paid for the Gyro and have the tax adjusted to that value, the penalty was waved but I still had the interest.

State of Kansas .... Christmas gift!!!

Speedy paperwork processing! :yo: No more property tax! :whoo:
Time to go shop for insurance!:rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1

Speedy paperwork processing! :yo: No more property tax! :whoo:
Time to go shop for insurance!:rolleyes:
Thanks Chris for sharing this important news. My CPA was not aware of that, so I pulled it up and showed him Kansas has no Property Taxes on EBA Aircraft. That is a very good thing and saves a lot of $ that can be spent on insurance, etc. Hopefully most aircraft buyers are also aware that many of not most States have a "flyway" law that allows for you to purchase an aircraft in a Flyway State (other than your home State) and pay no sales taxes. I know Kansas and Florida are two of many others with such laws.

Last edited:
This has been the law in Kansas for some time. You should not have been paying property tax on any aircraft that conforms to the 51% rule.

I did not lose out, since I have not owned an EAB aircraft since passage. But that is about to change with my order of a new AR1C. I wonder if some folks are buying certified Gyros in other States with laws like Kansas that are unaware that by doing so, they may be subject to property taxes? Ouch!

Thanks Chris for sharing this important news. My CPA was not aware of that, so I pulled it up and showed him Kansas has no Property Taxes on EBA Aircraft. That is a very good thing and saves a lot of $ that can be spent on insurance, etc. Hopefully most aircraft buyers are also aware that many of not most States have a "flyway" law that allows for you to purchase an aircraft in a Flyway State (other than your home State) and pay no sales taxes. I know Kansas and Florida are two of many others with such laws.
Wasn’t aware of that in Fla? We were sent a tax enquiry on our first gyro scratch built from plans in Orlando, we showed all the receipts and heard no more about it. But that was over 10 years ago.

Our present build is in Minnesota but when finished will be taken down to be based in Tampa. Where do we stand on that?

I guess in depends on whether Minnesota is a ‘Flyway’ State?

Problem is Fla has a use tax so I think that will apply.

Last edited: