GPS, ADS-B, Ipad multiple displays in Xenon Panel

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
1,000+
When I was getting my Uavionix ADS-B I broke down and bought a new Ifly740 gps so with my iPad I now have two redundant displays. Each can show a sectional moving map, gps info, synthetic vision, terrain avoidance, inflight weather from two independent sources and ADS-B traffic. We have a hospital with flight for life helicopter very close to our airport and right next to my house - in the past we just depended on radio calls to avoid each other but it was great to see him on ADS-B today and really know in real time how close we were.

The panel looks great.

https://youtu.be/YoiRYDTg8fo

Hi Rob,

That looks like an excellent setup! I'm currently considering my first gyro purchase and the Trendak Tercel (pretty much the same airframe/cabin as the Xenon) is high on my list as is the Magni M24. I have been considering avionics and would like ADS-B, synthetic vision and satellite weather in as small a package as I can reasonably get away with. To save space and improve visibility I would like something that I can mount vertically similar to the way you have your iFly setup - (I imagine the 7" size might even panel mount in the centre of the Tercel console - if I can work that with the other instrumentation).

I was originally considering the Garmin Aera 760 with GDL 52 (the G3X just seems to pricey and I think I would be happier with other aircraft performance data etc. visible separately - my brain seems to prefer that!). Did you have a chance to compare the Aera 760 with the iFly 740? The iFly 740 seems to check all the boxes.

I will be flying in the Canadian Rockies and the West Coast and think a setup like yours (especially in the Tercel/Xenon cockpit) would be well suited to my environment also.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

In the meantime, happy flying! :)

Cheers,
Mike

Hi Rob,

That looks like an excellent setup! I'm currently considering my first gyro purchase and the Trendak Tercel (pretty much the same airframe/cabin as the Xenon) is high on my list as is the Magni M24. I have been considering avionics and would like ADS-B, synthetic vision and satellite weather in as small a package as I can reasonably get away with. To save space and improve visibility I would like something that I can mount vertically similar to the way you have your iFly setup - (I imagine the 7" size might even panel mount in the centre of the Tercel console - if I can work that with the other instrumentation).

I was originally considering the Garmin Aera 760 with GDL 52 (the G3X just seems to pricey and I think I would be happier with other aircraft performance data etc. visible separately - my brain seems to prefer that!). Did you have a chance to compare the Aera 760 with the iFly 740? The iFly 740 seems to check all the boxes.

I will be flying in the Canadian Rockies and the West Coast and think a setup like yours (especially in the Tercel/Xenon cockpit) would be well suited to my environment also.

Any and all thoughts welcome.

In the meantime, happy flying! :)

Cheers,
Mike
I chose the iFly for several reasons, some of which may or may not apply to you as well. As far as EFB software for iPads the iFly is the only one where you can make the text and labels really large which is handy for senior eyes in a somewhat bouncy rotorcraft. So that makes it superior to foreflight, Wing x, FlyQ etc. iFly also has lots of terrain features which are good for low level flying. iPads can freeze up from overheating so it is prudent to have a dedicated gps which also has a brightEr screen. The 740b has the same ability of larger text fonts and instrument overlays as the iPad. Having the same software on both simplifies the learning curve and reduces mistakes of which button does what- a problem you would have with say a dedicated Garmin and an iPad with foreflight. Also since both my units have customizable instrument overlays I can make them appear the same. Also at no extra charge I even have my iPhone as a 3rd unit running the same program and I can build a flight plan on any unit and share instantly to the others.

I love my Xenon and think it flies way better than the Magni. If I were buying today I would get the Xenon version from Alvaro.

Feel free to pm me with any specific questions

Rob

Hi Rob,

That all makes perfect sense. It's looking like the biggest challenge with iFly may be Canadian maps. It looks like iFly doesn't have full Canadian maps (airspaces etc.) though portions of Southern Canada and larger airports may be supported. Requires a little more investigation.

I also agree that the Alvaro's AG-915 is a really nice Xenon build, particularly as it based around the Rotax 915. That said, I was hoping to purchase a factory built machine certified for Canada (the Trendak Tercel is certified). It also seems you can now order the AAT Tercel with the Rotax 915 though you might be the first to take delivery of one! I'm not too sure about the AAT modified Rotax and will try to learn a little more about that engine (what changes were made, how it is supported in Canada etc.). The idea of a kit build does have some appeal though, as I would be able to maintain the machine myself. I just need to be realistic about how much time I will really have to build and maintain a gyro.

Mike

Hi Rob,

That all makes perfect sense. It's looking like the biggest challenge with iFly may be Canadian maps. It looks like iFly doesn't have full Canadian maps (airspaces etc.) though portions of Southern Canada and larger airports may be supported. Requires a little more investigation.

I also agree that the Alvaro's AG-915 is a really nice Xenon build, particularly as it based around the Rotax 915. That said, I was hoping to purchase a factory built machine certified for Canada (the Trendak Tercel is certified). It also seems you can now order the AAT Tercel with the Rotax 915 though you might be the first to take delivery of one! I'm not too sure about the AAT modified Rotax and will try to learn a little more about that engine (what changes were made, how it is supported in Canada etc.). The idea of a kit build does have some appeal though, as I would be able to maintain the machine myself. I just need to be realistic about how much time I will really have to build and maintain a gyro.

Mike
I have the Trendak turbo version and imported 10 similar Xenons to the US. They have been dependable.

Rob

I recently attended a virtual FAA seminar and the discussion was the use of electronic pads with ForeFlight and the like navigation software. Many pilots within Southern California are busting various FARs, airspace, and have created collision hazards because of the pilots are flying with their heads within the cockpits, religiously following non-certified electronic navigation software is telling them.

Wayne

I recently attended a virtual FAA seminar and the discussion was the use of electronic pads with ForeFlight and the like navigation software. Many pilots within Southern California are busting various FARs, airspace, and have created collision hazards because of the pilots are flying with their heads within the cockpits, religiously following non-certified electronic navigation software is telling them.

Wayne
I can see people not being diligent as far as see and avoid if they are focused on pushing buttons and looking at screens. As far as non certified equipment, other than an instrument approach I’d be extremely doubtful the equipment is a problem. Possibly they were referring to people routing direct and not looking at what airspace the route crosses.

I sailed around the world when gps was new and watched people route gps direct courses over reefs and through small islands.

Rob

Exactly Rob. The primary decision maker is within the dura matter between one's ears, not the electronic device and associated software within.

AVIATE and then NAVIGATE.

Wayne