Good shot of my littlewing

Very cool!

Very cool!

That is a very cool picture of a very cool gyroplane.

Thank you for sharing.

gyro jim,
nice, you should be proud of that for sure.
john

Gyro Jim,
You have all the right to be proud of your machine, Jim. Really nice photo....machine and pilot...

Awesome photo and awesome machine!

Jim Sharer's Little Wing LW3 is sure a beauty.

Jim originally built his LW3 with a Verner horizontally opposed twin cylinder engine (I'm guessing a VM 133MK), but found that this engine lacked the required horsepower to fly safely. Therefore, Jim replaced the Verner with an 80 hp Rotax 912. Jim mentioned in a different post that he has over 200 hours flight time in his LW3.

The following videos Jim has posted on YouTube himself about his Little Wing LW3 showing up close some of the details of his gyroplane.

Wayne

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUP2dl0xbfo

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRH2B68bD3I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcF4VgbV6RI

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGMErX-PDQM

www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQJB1Zjcztk

www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5CdEhKkxzU

Attachments

• sharer001.jpg
    sharer001.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 2
  • N165JS.jpg
    N165JS.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Okikuma,

I'm curious about Little Wing flying technique. Having never flown a tractor model, I'm curious about cyclic position and use during taxi, pre-rotation, and takeoff. I assume you don't use as much forward cyclic during ground ops or after stopping during landing to ensure prop/rotor clearance. Can you fill me in?

Hi Jonathan,

I've never flown a Little Wing Autogyro. The person to ask would be Jim Sharer or Ron Herron. They would be the most qualified to answer your questions.

Wayne

Jonathon,

I have had my LittleWing for almost a year so I can answer your questions.

According to Ron Herron, all LittleWings need a stick lock. The stick is extremely "heavy" when taxiing around with rotors not moving. The stick stays in the locked forward position until pre rotation is in progress then I take it out and pull aft as rpm's increase like any other gyro. Stick forces lighten up as rpm's increase.

I keep stick aft until about ready to lift off then move forward only slightly before flying speed is reached. Was told by prior owner to not to lift the tail like in a tailwheel airplane as bad things could happen!!!!!

Once airborne it is very stable in pitch but it does yaw left and right more than other gyros because of the covered fuselage, especially in turbulence.

Landing is a non-event....just fly to ground in three point attitude and then move stick forward to the lock when stopped.

MM,

Thank you for the cool info. That is exactly what I needed to slake my curiosity.

Somebody took this shot at a local flyin

That IS a great shot ! Looks great(red is my color ), & that PRA decal looks right at home on there !

The best shots I have of myself flying, were taken by strangers at flyins. The one in my avatar is one of them. I had them blown up to poster size & framed them !

I was a PRA member for so many years, that I should have got a lifetime membeship. I just can't do the 50 bucks a year anymore.

What comes with the membership now ? Those decals, membership card & magazine is what I paid for every year. I have those decals on both sides of my car & I love them !