Gonzales Flyin

mark 's gyro

mark 's gyro

heres a few pic of marks good looking gyro
thanks, I should finish it before the next flyin. Also there is another KB4 lurking in the bushes.

Attachments

• gyro marks.jpg
    gyro marks.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 1
  • gyro marks2.jpg
    gyro marks2.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 1
  • gyro marks3.jpg
    gyro marks3.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 1
thanks for the kind words fellows.
Tim,
I tried to make a pod from fiberglass and it was bad, very bad. So I bought a pod for a 2008 Suzuki quad runner. I posted how I made it on a thread about pods. I like it up close for me to see but it needs to be triangles to stiffen the side movement. It houses the EIS and main switch. The light is functional but I did not hook up the wire for fear it may generate too much heat next to the EIS. I will experiment with it some this summer. I am pleased with how the gyro flys ,but it still needs some fine tuning. I have a few pictures of it. Notice the strong crosswind in the yaw string on the bottom picture. You can click on the picture to open it up and click again to open it more.

Attachments

• Bulow Play 004.jpg
    Bulow Play 004.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Bulow Play 005a.jpg
    Bulow Play 005a.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 1
  • Bulow Play 006.jpg
    Bulow Play 006.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 1
  • Bulow Play 015.jpg
    Bulow Play 015.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
thanks for the kind words fellows.
Tim,
I tried to make a pod from fiberglass and it was bad, very bad. So I bought a pod for a 2008 Suzuki quad runner. .
When I looked at it I was wondering if it was cut down from kind of motorcycle. never gave thought about a Quad runner.

That is a slick idea. I agree. I an hashing over the Idea of moveing my pod closer on my gyro if I can't get the Falcon Body for mine. right now mine sits kind of low and forward,I would like it to be close enough to be able to easyily reach in flight if I have a 4 point harness on.

what kind of Prerotatior are you running? if I see right it looks electric with a shaft going up the mast. am I seeing right? if so can you show me some pics of how it is made. I am wanting to make a shaft driven prerotatior but useing a gear box off the engine to drive it.

Tim,
It is electric starter mounted to the mast instead of the head. It is good enough to get the Dragon Wings up to beginning taxi speed. I am using a light battery so taxi a short space with prerotor engaged. I was running out of time to get in the air so I went the quickest , easiest, and cheapest route for prerotor. It does not get much easier that hanging a starter and running a few cables. I had plans to come off the front of the Rotax engine with a 90 degree drive, but several people voiced concerns about the bearing loading. so I put that Ideal on the shelf for now. I think a belt drive rather than the friction wheel will give you less slippage , thus more RPM. I am working on that still. Put the electric on and get flying, make improvements in winter when you can't fly. If I did all I wanted to do to the KB4 it would still be in the shop. If you want the perfect gyro, you need two. One to fly and one to always be improving. I will take some pictures of my setup and post in the old Dropped keel thread so we can keep the information together.
Ron A. built a no nonsense machine in great time and he is flying. I am sure he will tell you he has had better machines and he will in all probability build something with more of the features he likes , but he is flying and now has the leisure to do what ever he likes to his other gyros.
Looking forward to your first flight report.

Tim,
It is electric starter mounted to the mast instead of the head. .
Thanks Mark, thats what it looked like was the starter to the mast, what I mainly need to see is how you connected it to the head, the shaft going up to the starter.

what I have been toying with the Idea of is a small gear box that would be mounted on slide rails that would use 2 harley big twin clutch disks, one mounted to the engine and one to the gear box, the gear box would have a spring loaded lever that when raised would slide the gear boc back makeing contact with the 2 disks ,you would lighting let them slip until the blades started to turn then pull harder to get a full lock in.

I would then even with the engine at idle speed you should get some good speed on the blades.

When I built my Dusty 2 helicopter and was doing early gear box tests i had a single belt on the pully,and I am here to tell you,it did not take much at all to spin the 80 pounds plus blades and head.

that why I am suprised that people are not getting better speed with prerotatiors on gyros.

I wonder how well an RAF type prerotator would work on a single-place gyro. If it will spin up 30 ft blades good just think what it would do to some 23-24 footers.

Tim,
I believe an RAF prerotor would be very close to lift off speed if you use the right size pulley on the prop end..I have thought about some electric clutches as well and a pulley tension setup to let you engage slow for start up. Research only takes time and money.huh?

Bad weather turn out good

Bad weather turn out good

Friday night , I left my shop at 2 am. It was gusting about 30mph. There were weather bullentin on the TV for sevear Thunder Storms and Tornado watch for several of the parishes. About 1/2 hour later the rain and lighting began.
I thought surely our flyin would be cancelled. The FAA cancelled theirs for the same day.
Come morning the outside was so calm an beautiful , I could not believe it . Bill said he was on his way to Jennings.
So I drove to Ball, La and picked up my truck and headed back home for the gyro. Due to weather it was one of the smallest turn outs I have seen at a LA. flyin , but when you got quality people, you don't need quantity.

Attachments

• J 1 group.JPG
    J 1 group.JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 1
  • J2 group.JPG
    J2 group.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 1
I wonder how well an RAF type prerotator would work on a single-place gyro. If it will spin up 30 ft blades good just think what it would do to some 23-24 footers.
I'm not sure, but I think that's what Birdy uses on his ferral? Maybe he'll chime in here and share his wit and wisdom.

Don't let your children look at this.

Don't let your children look at this.

Mike Gaspard was caught on Camera eating more crawfish than last year. Can you count them plates?

Attachments

• J Mike Gaspard 1st and 2nd plate.JPG
    J Mike Gaspard 1st and 2nd plate.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 1
  • J Gaspard 3rd plate.JPG
    J Gaspard 3rd plate.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 1
Sorry I didn't make it guys. Got stuck in Chicago; cancelled flights due to weather and mechanical problems. Got home really late and couldn't get up to the fly-in.

Mark, clear out some of your private messages so I people can reply to yours!:rant:

Sorry I didn't make it guys. Got stuck in Chicago; cancelled flights due to weather and mechanical problems. Got home really late and couldn't get up to the fly-in.

Mark, clear out some of your private messages so I people can reply to yours!:rant:

love that new picture of yours, and clean out some messages, OK. Also here are some more pictures of Gaspard, on his 5th and 6 th plate of crawfish. He was glad for low turnout because he ate 7 plates of crawfish!!!

Attachments

• J Gaspard 7th plate.JPG
    J Gaspard 7th plate.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1
Did Mike leave any crawfish to the rest of you?!

I need to get with you Mark and discuss some things. Maybe we could get together soon. I may take a ride to see how Manuel's doing soon. I'll let you know.

Most everybody had this look on their face so, I would have to say yes, we all got crawfish, just not 7 plates.
Manuel will be glad to see you . I need to visit him also.

Attachments

• J Jeff Brevell.JPG
    J Jeff Brevell.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 1
  • J Glen Duhon.JPG
    J Glen Duhon.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 1
Glad I didn't break your camera!!

Glad I didn't break your camera!!

Hey Mark,

Man you took a big risk taking a photo of me. What 's the latest on Manuel with his back surgery? Is he up and around on his feet doing limited movements? and how about his gyro was it airworthy, able to do crow hops?

just Keeping in touch,

Glenn

Manuel called Bill and told him he is doing very well and feels like his recovery will be quick. His aircraft has received his Airworthness Cert. and it is ready for crow hops, so I think he will start in Sept. after the Doctor gives the go ahead. Did you get the email for the PPC flyin at Bunkie?
Bob Simmons and his son , sure was glad to see him again and his machine is almost ready to fly.

Attachments

• J Bob and Son.JPG
    J Bob and Son.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Glenn & Mark,

I'll probably be heading up to Manuel's on Monday, May 19. Just for a visit and to drop off Mark's tall tail. I plan on giving Manuel a call later in the week to verify. I'll let you know what's up with his recovery.

He's a tough old bird! :D

Are you going to bring your gyro?, Maybe we could get a few people together to fly at Marksville, it is right out Manuels back yard.