Glue Integrity For Rotor Dyne Blades????

Ron Iaconis

GYRO 1 Ron Iaconis
Aircraft
Bensen/Mac&Dual instr W/Steve McGowan's Sparrowhawk&Tandem Parson's
Total Flight Time
Hi,
I have a set of Rotordyne Blades manufactured out of Burbank, CA.
The Serial Number is # 377 ,,,,,
Does anyone know if there is a problem with either the glue or other concerns?
These blades as far as I know were manufactured by Robert Reece,,,the originator of Rotor Dyne Blades,,,back in the 1970's
Any input would be much appreciated,,,
Thanks,
Ron Iaconis

Last edited:
Ron, I had a set from Burbank cal. come unglued. Steve Krouse put rivits in both sides, equal ammount they where ok then.

Thanks Bud !!!!!

Thanks Bud !!!!!

Thanks Bud,
I will be looking into these blades,,,
Ron

Up Date,,,

S/N of these Robert Reece Blades is # 377 (Three Seven Seven)
Just wondering?????
If these are some of the very first blades,,,are they a good glue job???
Or some of the early ones that may have been possibly marginal glue job???
Any info or help would be much appreciated.....

Last edited:
The trailing edge is the only glue that released on mine. The way I found out there was something wrong was when i pulled up into a slow flight mode. With the stick back and power on the stick like to have beat my leg off!. Ernie found the seperation and ran his knife blade into the trailing edge before they could be seen. Try and seperate them by hand first using only your finger nails. They flew just fine after the rivits were installed. [These were not Robert Reese blades but Lazo suppos? blades. He did not understand the bonding process.]

The Rotordynes I am presently using were made here in the UK by Gary Layzell, no problems with delamination on trailing edge, but he does have some rivets there.

Did Robert Reece predate the Phaneuf brothers, Bud and Steve? They were the first owners of Rotordyne that I can recall, going back to the early-mid 70's.

IIR, Lazslo was next. He developed a bad rep for glue joints that failed.

Tracy Hansen took over from him and brought back one of the Phaeufs to correct the bonding procedure. Tracy's blades were good, as far as I know.

Robert Reece,I Believe is Originator

Robert Reece,I Believe is Originator

I believe that Robert Reece started up Rotordyne,,,if I am not mistaken,,,,
So,,,,from what I can determine,,,these blades are number 377 from probably his first set...
I will check all that you have mentioned to me Bud,,, again,,,appreciate your help...
Ron

The originals used purple colored glue. They also had cast end caps. The blades made by Tracy used end caps but, the guys before Tracy and after Tracy didn't. If you have original blades they should be fine.

Ron

I missed you again at Rome, CH 56 meeting. I really hope you can make it to the next one!

Greg