Glider Tow

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
I don't understand this. I have been towed in a fixed wing glider by a pickup truck and a rope, by a powerful winch and a cable, and by a wide variety of airplanes working like 3-dimensional water skiing. Never had any reversal of rudder effect, and certainly no re-reversal when I released from tow in flight (whether using a nose hook or a center of gravity belly hook).

I would speculate that the rudder was blocked initially to simplify training by limiting temporarily the axes you have to worry about. If one completed gyroglider training with reverse effect rudder, and then moved to free flight with an engine and normal rudder, that would be one nasty transition.
I have never personally flown one. I am just going by what I was told by Dad and Chuck Beaty. Both got their starts on a Bensen Glider.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1, A&S 18A, Phoebus C, SGS 1-26A, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I have never personally flown one. I am just going by what I was told by Dad and Chuck Beaty. Both got their starts on a Bensen Glider.
Okay - gotcha.

Last edited:

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
I understand your point, but the connection is not rigid as in a trailer hitch, because the tow rope can displace from side to side as the aircraft tracks left and right of the tow vehicle path. Glider pilots on aerotow can "box the wake" and hold a displaced position to the right using right rudder to resist the straightening pull of the rope. Nonetheless, push right rudder, and the aircraft will yaw right on tow or not, which was my point.
I understand both your points. I'm sure you are correct with regard to fixed-wing gliders, but Okikuma is correct with respect to gyrogliders.
If you make a brief rudder input, the gyroglider will indeed yaw in the direction inputted, at least a little. If you hold that rudder input, the gyroglider will move laterally in the opposite direction.
I observed this in practice, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on. So you are both right. Well done.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
Winds at my home right now are 33 with gusts to 48, so it would be a good day for kiting a gyroglider.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
True... I'm not that crazy, though. Fixed-wing gliders make me nervous enough.
We can fix that nervousness for you if you pass through Colorado some day. Just think -- no engine failures, no fuel exhaustion, no fires, no tail strikes, no PPOs, no torque-overs, no nosewheel induced roll-overs, no "behind the curve" flying, no rotor management or blade sailing, no issues with low g, many are acro capable, and the FAA thinks they're so safe and simple that they let 14 year olds solo in them.

okikuma

I understand your point, but the connection is not rigid as in a trailer hitch, because the tow rope can displace from side to side as the aircraft tracks left and right of the tow vehicle path. Glider pilots on aerotow can "box the wake" and hold a displaced position to the right using right rudder to resist the straightening pull of the rope. Nonetheless, push right rudder, and the aircraft will yaw right on tow or not, which was my point.

I understand both your points. I'm sure you are correct with regard to fixed-wing gliders, but Okikuma is correct with respect to gyrogliders.
If you make a brief rudder input, the gyroglider will indeed yaw in the direction inputted, at least a little. If you hold that rudder input, the gyroglider will move laterally in the opposite direction.
I observed this in practice, but it took me a while to figure out what was going on. So you are both right. Well done.
Sorry, I had to hit the rack last night before I responded.

Thank you Fergus for your help in clarification. Sometime back there were some videos you had posted of you and your mates towing your gyroglider behind a station wagon on a sod field and later along a curve stretch of a beach if I recall correctly. If you can, please re-post those videos.

Wayne

Wayne