Getting Closer to My Dream...

Jany77 - I believe it was Type II Anodizing - I had Apex do it in Sparks, Nevada - it ws reasonable, I liked the result, and they were happy to do my small batch.

Early Xmas!

Early Xmas!

Well, I got my box of parts from SportCopter last week, but just only today was able to open it. Went through most of it, and will finish tomorrow. WOW! Talk about a class act! They really know how to keep things organised.

Attachments

• Early Xmas.jpg
    Early Xmas.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Well Packed.jpg
    Well Packed.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 4
  • Wheels.jpg
    Wheels.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 3
  • H Stab.jpg
    H Stab.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 2
  • H Stab Winglet.jpg
    H Stab Winglet.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Main Axle.jpg
    Main Axle.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
...And More!

...And More!

Plus, I have these nice parts, and a few I didn't take pictures of. More tubing in the crate. Going to finish my inventory tomorrow. It will be a lot of fun going through all this!

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
  • More Parts.jpg
    More Parts.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 0
  • And More Parts.jpg
    And More Parts.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 0
Christmas in May? Merry Christmas...very exciting!

Your excitement is infectious Terry.

Your excitement is infectious Terry.

You remind me of a Cephalocereus Palmeri commonly referred to as “old man cactus” that blooms when it reaches a new level of maturity.

Ours hasn’t bloomed in two years and the blooms may still be several years out.

Thank you for sharing the fun.

Attachments

• old man cactus.jpg
    old man cactus.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 0
Wow,I've never been compared to a plant before ;) (and it's a GOOD LOOKING plant too!) Thanks Vance, I appreciate the compliment! It's exciting to be getting closer to building. I hope to be in a position soon to start a build log and share my progress. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
More New Stuff

More New Stuff

Well, I got a care package from Sport Copter today - got my new Pod (Carbon Fiber), plus small items that needed replaced, and the remaining frame pieces that I needed. I have a few holes to drill, but that won't take too long. Then, it's off to FINALLY get painted. I have a color in mind, but have to see the cost first. I still have a back-up color I can go with.

I won't have the pod panel from SC until I decide what I want on the panel. I might be looking at MGL stuff (may have to see about that PRA discount John Roundtree has mentioned on his posts!) :)

It appears that I may actually get the chance to start assembly of the frame this year! Once I get the paint done, I'll throw a few pictures here to show. At that time, I'll probably start up a builders (B)log, so I can accurately track my build. ONWARD!

Attachments

• Pod1.jpg
    Pod1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1
  • Pod2.jpg
    Pod2.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Paul, sorry for the late response! I've been in Boston for a week, and then on the road here in SoCal. Got home today and weighed it - as the picture shows with the brackets and mounting tangs, it comes in at a whopping 2.4 pounds - VERY light! The cost - $650, and to me, WELL WORTH IT! It has a larger area for gauges, and looks great to boot!

More New Stuff - Again!

More New Stuff - Again!

Well, last week while I was in Boston, my new fuel tank arrived from SportCopter - and it looks FANTASTIC! SportCopter was even wonderful enough to install the fittings in the tank. I love how the black color I wanted turned out. ANOTHER quality product from SportCopter! Now, I have to get some holes drilled in a new part I received, get some small parts stripped, then get the parts painted.

Work has kept me busy, but with luck, I'll have my parts painted by end of the year, and the build will start in January!

Attachments

• Fuel Tank 1.jpg
    Fuel Tank 1.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Fuel Tank 2.jpg
    Fuel Tank 2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Fuel Tank 3.jpg
    Fuel Tank 3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 1
Hi Terry,

I can't wait to see the Sport Copter when completed!

Suggestion: Contact Scott Heger and see if he's willing to check over your completed Sport Copter before the DAR does his/her inspection. Scott has a fair amount of Sport Copter experience as a builder and owner, and is local in SoCal. While you're at it, ask Scott if he's willing to fly the first test flight.

If you're a member of the EAA, they have a good insurance program to cover the first ten hours of the phase one fly off time. Most events if any, do happen in those first ten hours.

Wayne

I plan on having PLENTY of eyes on my gyro before it breaks the ground! I'm also a member of the EAA, and I'll look into that insurance - might be a good idea. It's been slow, but have had some good news recently, and "hopefully" I'll be able to get it fully built by fall of next year. If you would have asked me last summer when I thought I'd have my gyro, the answer would have been "a few more years from now!" So, all in all, things are looking up ( up, up and AWAY, so to speak!)

Congratz Terry,

Glad to hear the progress you are making!

Thanks David. It's been glacialy slow, but things should speed up a lot after the New Year starts. I hope your training is going well!

Powder Coating Done!!

Powder Coating Done!!

Finally!! I now have my parts stripped, cleaned and powder coated :) Over the next 2 weeks, I'm going to organize my garage, and get my build log set up so I can accurately track my build. Work has been very busy,and my weekdays don't allow me any time to play.

I hope to have most of my gyro constructed by summer, though most likely not ready to fly until 2018. It isn't a race for me :) With the color I've chosen, it should look really nice once it's all put together. Let the FUN begin!!!!

Attachments

• Rudder.jpg
    Rudder.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 3
Well, this will be my last post on this thread... I now have a Build Log that I will update as I proceed (link is at bottom of my Signature), and future postings will go on the Builders Corner Thread (where it belongs). Should be an interesting experience....

Well, I got a care package from Sport Copter today - got my new Pod (Carbon Fiber), plus small items that needed replaced, and the remaining frame pieces that I needed. I have a few holes to drill, but that won't take too long. Then, it's off to FINALLY get painted. I have a color in mind, but have to see the cost first. I still have a back-up color I can go with.

Your carbon fiber pod is way too pretty to cover with paint, clear coat it and be done with it!

Stan, I TOTALLY agree! It will look so much better unpainted. That was my plan when I first got it.

How exciting, so cool to see your build log up and your machine coming together!