Getting Closer to My Dream...

Tim - I've actually looked at your page, and plan on adding the muffler extender to mine - even copied a picture of it as a reference! There was an AD from SportCopter for the angle brackets that had been added on this one, so I should be good there. I'll continue to look at yours (and any others) to make mine as current and complete as I can. Thank you!

Terry,
sent you a private message on lots of extra parts that I have.

Looking forward to some flying time with you

Looking forward to some flying time with you

Glad you got hands on it. What a great build that will be. Looking forward to flying our Sportcopters out at El Mirage soon.

David

Attachments

• My Friendly Flyer-1024x576.jpg
    My Friendly Flyer-1024x576.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 0
Dave, I'm looking forward to it as well! Be nice when mine looks more like yours :)

Terry, can you add a few close pics of your rudder/brake pedals. I'm going to put "toe brakes" on my Air command this winter. I need some ideas.

Getting a Little Work Done

Getting a Little Work Done

Well, since my elbow was finally getting better to use, I've been trying to do a little work here and there on my gyro. Here you can see some of the dirty, pitted parts of my pre-rotator and ring gear, as well as part of my Roto Control. I took them to get blasted, so I could clean them up a bit. I think they're looking a lot better now :) And the Roto Control parts look really nice after some Purple Polish!

Attachments

• prerotator parts 01.jpg
    prerotator parts 01.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Ring Gear & Roto.jpg
    Ring Gear & Roto.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Clean Ring.jpg
    Clean Ring.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Clean Prerotator Parts1.jpg
    Clean Prerotator Parts1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Clean Prerotator Part2.jpg
    Clean Prerotator Part2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Polished Roto.jpg
    Polished Roto.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2
Looking good Terry!

Looking good Terry!

What did you use to blast them?

A Little More to Show...

A Little More to Show...

And, here I have all the parts that were Anodized Blue (you can see how the years have weathered them!) They are going to be re-done in a nice Gold Color, along with the Pre-Rotator parts. Richard Press (fellow Chapter 1 member) was kind enough to come over this past weekend and we used his grinder and my dremel to cut off the spring loops from the muffler parts (I'm going with the newer compression clamps). I had an additional part welded today to divert the exhaust a little (as some other people have done) and plan to send it off for Ceramic coating.

The hub bar was very pitted and grungy from years of weather. So, I decided to give it some luster. Now, I DID NOT take it apart! I know that SportCopter builds these with some bushings internal, so I used a lot of Purple Polish (after a light touching with a Scotchbrite wheel - thanks Richard!) and as you can see, it looks pretty darn good! (IMHO)

I have a plethora of parts on order from SportCopter (Trenna has been such a pleasure to work with!), and still need to get new hardware ordered, some other minor parts from SC as well (I'm making a list) (to SportCopter, not Santa Claus!!!)

The bad news is with the recent watering of my kitchen floor (thanks to a bad refrigerator valve in the wall), we're going to be diverting more funds for a kitchen re-model (yay?) So, it might be a bit before I post more. BUT, I'm getting some stuff done!

Attachments

• dirty hubbar.jpg
    dirty hubbar.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 3
  • hub bar.jpg
    hub bar.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Muffler Work.jpg
    Muffler Work.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 4
  • To be Anodized.jpg
    To be Anodized.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 4
Vance,

Found a place in Riverside, and they used glass beads to blast them. They came out great, and with just a little Purple Polish, they look almost brand new.

I got my rotax exhaust jet coated in Temecula, I think it was less than $100.00

Dave,

Do you remember where in Temecula? That would be a lot easier than shipping to Jet Hot :)

I will find the name tomorrow

A Little Progress

A Little Progress

Well, I've got parts (most of them) being shipped from SportCopter shortly - should be here in a few days. Plus, I just sent them a list of some MORE small items that I'm replacing. My re-anodized parts came back looking a bit better than when they left (pics below). While there is slight color differences where the blue was darker, none of that will show once it's all put together again. With having to now save for a kitchen remodel, funds are not very accessible for my toy. BUT, I'll make progress as time and money meet together. I am going to get my exhaust Jet Coated shortly. SO, I'm still working on it (as time and money permit). Just wanted to share :)

Attachments

• Parts Before.jpg
    Parts Before.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 1
I could not find the name of the company that did my jet coating, just did a google search and there are a lot of them in southern cal.

Jet-Hot (HOT DAMN!)

Jet-Hot (HOT DAMN!)

Well, I got my parts back from Jet-Hot while I was away on work and just opened them - OMG!!! They look freakin AWESOME! They bead blasted them BIG TIME (I had a few left in my manifold rattling around but got them out.) These not only look brand new inside but the coating is perfect! You can't even tell where we cut off the spring loops. I am BEYOND pleased with how these turned out. WORTH EVERY PENNY. There was very minor corrosion, but nothing of that exists now. If I didn't know better, I'd swear they sent me brand new parts. This is the way to go!

Attachments

• 20160222_125148.jpg
    20160222_125148.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160430_182128.jpg
    20160430_182128.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160430_182137.jpg
    20160430_182137.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160430_182156.jpg
    20160430_182156.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160430_182224.jpg
    20160430_182224.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20160430_182227.jpg
    20160430_182227.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 2
I know the feeling Terry... It's been a long road for both of us.
Congratulations almost there.

The parts look great!

Can you share with us who did the Jet-Hot or is that the name of the company and not the procedure.

Also how much would it cost for me to do the same process?

Ceramic Coating

Ceramic Coating

John,

The company is called Jet-Hot and I sent it off to them about 2 1/2 weeks ago for them to coat it. They offer a few different choices as to color and toughness of coating. It ran me - with shipping - about $220 or so.

As I said, it was worth every penny! I can't get over how brand new these parts look. They have a Get a Quote section on their site. Fill that in, and they contact you very quickly to quote you on your project. I took pictures of each part and sent those with measurements of each part.

Wow, those look really nice Terry, congrats. Your Vortex is going to look outstanding when you get her finished up!