Getting Closer to My Dream...

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
Well, look at what I have in my garage! A SportCopter - (well, many PARTS of one). I've been wanting to get my own Gyro for many years now, but never quite seemed to be in a position to actually start. An opportunity came along to acquire the parts to a SportCopter, which was too good an opportunity to pass up.

There are some parts that are bent, or cracked, but can be replaced, along with a plethora of other old parts that are going to be upgraded. So, the GOOD news is that I'm FINALLY moving to be a gyro owner and pilot, rather than just an observer.

The BAD news - I fractured my right elbow on Monday at work, and right now I can't do much of anything; off of work, and can't really work on my new project. Hopefully I'll see the Dr soon, and get my elbow resolved, and sometime next year start working more towards getting my Gyro built. I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Attachments

• Parts.jpg
    Parts.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 9
Congratulations Terry!

Congratulations Terry!

It is all about progress.

Yes, but WHICH 2 weeks are we talking about?

You will have fun with this project.
It is one of the most aesthetic gyros right out of the box.
The rotor head is also unique and a work of art.
Enjoy Terry, life is good.

I plan on it, George. So glad you're doing well!

I was so happy for you Terry when I heard you bought it and what a great deal!!!

My parts are coming this month and upgrading her to a G1CE with the new pod we will be flying together THIS YEAR!

I cannot wait for that day!!

Hi Terry, which model is it? Vortex, Lightning?

Steve, It is a SportCopter Vortex, with 25ft, 8" chord blades, 582 E Box. I know, hard to tell from the picture! :)

Last edited:
Good luck with the project - please keep us up to date as you progress with the Vortex

Congratulations Terry!
I redecorated an entire living room and dining room (including painting) with a full cast on my left arm. You can do it! :first:

Seems it might be a torn muscle or tendon - Ortho Doc couldn't see any fracture - off to MRI next! Since there's apparently no break, going to try to do some little work this weekend. I've a few parts that need some steel sleeves pressed out so I can repaint and re-anodize. I really want to keep busy on it!

Terry -
Friend of mine in south OZ has one, and he love's it !!

Best a luck !!

fj

I do hope you heal up soon!!!
Thank sucks especially as you have a early Christmas present and you cannot really play with it?

Kevin - As MUCH as I'd like to have more power - Yamaha - that will take some time to save for, especially as I need to spend some dough to get it where I want it first! So, I'll start out using the 582, and once I've saved a bit, and gotten some flight time with the 582, I may look to upgrade. I don't want to get ahead of myself! One step at a time....

SportCopter bloodlines

SportCopter bloodlines

Hey Terry: While you're crippled up for awhile...

1. Here you are @ El Mirage KBFFI in 2011 sitting in my 503-powered SC. Remember the winds had come up a bit & you taxied around upwind and downwind?

2. In 2012 (also @ El Mirage), you're sitting in the Yamaha-powered SC w/ Ryan alongside showing his new Lego-gyro-man.

3. Three SC guys.

4. Now everyone in this shot, except Vance, is a SC guy! Edit: Vance can be forgiven as he at least flies SC Sport Rotors on his Predator machine.

5. Even Ryan likes the soft foam seat. He's also lighting up his new Lego man toy's flashlight-feet!

Attachments

• Kevin_Terry01.jpg
    Kevin_Terry01.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 5
  • RyanAndTerry01.jpg
    RyanAndTerry01.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Now Sport Copter boys 01.jpg
    Now Sport Copter boys 01.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Almost all Sport Copter boys.jpg
    Almost all Sport Copter boys.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Ryan01.jpg
    Ryan01.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Kevin - Ah, those were some FUN days! And, I hope to have even more of them once I'm flying :) One step at a time... Gonna try to do a little in the garage now!

Congratulations, Terry! Take a look through my build thread. There were a couple upgrades I was not aware of and others pointed toes out as I went along. The upgrades I can think of off the top of my head are some additional angle brackets on the engine mount and an additional exhaust bracket. I wish you the best of luck with your build.