Genesis--In the Beginning--Chapter 1

Hi Stan,

:typing: If I could be of a help. Will assist in building for bed and breakfast. However one thing to be mentioned, I'am living in Germany :-(

I'am sure you will be doing well
Guenter

That is great news indeed!
Cannot wait...

Heres a picture of the first parts that arrived from Aircraft Spruce There will be another shipment later.

Stan

Attachments

• Jan26 006.jpg
    Jan26 006.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0
Stan,
I just had a powdercoat discussion with my powder coater. The thinkness of each of his coats is .002 inches.Does this sound right to you? My concern would be if you put to much construction paper, you might wind up with a gap or space.

It might be worth taking a piece of metal to the power coater now, ask him to coat it. Measure it with a micrometer before and after. See how much you will need to auctually "compensate."

Your thoughts?

Stay Safe.

Stan,
I just had a powdercoat discussion with my powder coater. The thinkness of each of his coats is .002 inches.Does this sound right to you? My concern would be if you put to much construction paper, you might wind up with a gap or space.

It might be worth taking a piece of metal to the power coater now, ask him to coat it. Measure it with a micrometer before and after. See how much you will need to auctually "compensate."

Your thoughts?

Stay Safe.
Heath you sound just like me sometimes. I plead guilty to being at times obsessive with tiny details. in your line of work tiny details are everything , and in your line of work they pay off handsomely.

But as pilots we mostly want to know that the flying machine we buy is reasonably safe and reasonably well designed. If we can be reasonably assured of that , the rest is simply budgets and bankers and wives.

Those are the three hardest things that we men must overcome , if they are successful , often we survive. Great countries are built on men who survive , and women and bankers who keep us on the right track.

Back to topic , I have painted a lot of things for a lot of years , and I focus on the tiny details. Tiny details make for perfect paint jobs. There is nothing else that contributes to one perfect job but a thousand tiny details. There are no shortcuts. Never have been.

I failed a test that I was given , I had applied to Bristol Aerospace in Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, they were desperately looking for painters.

How many mils of paint meet the requirements of weight and balance on the left rear aileron of a F18 fighter jet flying at 1600 mph.

I did not know the answer and I told them so . As I walked out of the interview there were about 8 personnel managers hovering around me wanting to hire me because of my honesty. They had never seen an application like mine.

Keep focusing on the tiniest details in your line of work Heath. They are the key to your success. Do not change.

If you are successful in your line of work , you will gain credibility and folks will tend to listen to what you have to say.

Focus on what you are good at Heath , leave the mils of paint calculations to those who are qualified.

Be the husband that you are , the protector you strive to be , and the eye in the sky that we all want , and one of these days we will fund your desires.

In the meantime keep your focus on the tiny details , it will further your career. It is the game you play. Rewards are handsome.

Handsome rewards come when a law enforcement guy with impeccable credentials an walk into the airplane store and ask "how many mils of paint are between the assembled parts".

Heath you sound just like me sometimes. I plead guilty to being at times obsessive with tiny details. in your line of work tiny details are everything , and in your line of work they pay off handsomely.

But as pilots we mostly want to know that the flying machine we buy is reasonably safe and reasonably well designed. If we can be reasonably assured of that , the rest is simply budgets and bankers and wives.

Those are the three hardest things that we men must overcome , if they are successful , often we survive. Great countries are built on men who survive , and women and bankers who keep us on the right track.

Back to topic , I have painted a lot of things for a lot of years , and I focus on the tiny details. Tiny details make for perfect paint jobs. There is nothing else that contributes to one perfect job but a thousand tiny details. There are no shortcuts. Never have been.

Focus on what you are good at Heath , leave the mils of paint calculations to those who are qualified.

Arnie,
I normally don't get defensive and truthfully, I appreciate your comments. I was not trying to be a paint or aircraft expert just give a perspective as Stan asked.

I am in the process of custom building a tactical shotgun. In that build, I am having the weapon refinshed with powder coat. The powder coater gave me those numbers. Close tollerances in a firearm are critical to safety and reliablity as well as appearance.

As I stated in my original post, I just was making the suggestion to Stan that he take a scrap, measure it with a micrometer for thinkness before powder coat...then after and he would know first hand what to expect. Then compare that with the paper he wants to use for spacers and make it a match.

I don't pretend to nor will I ever be an aircraft designer or builder. I just was responding with the information I had at my disposal to a great friend who is one of the best aircraft builders that I have ever met on the forum.

Enough said.

Stay safe.

Arnie,
I normally don't get defensive and truthfully, I appreciate your comments. I was not trying to be a paint or aircraft expert just give a perspective as Stan asked.

I am in the process of custom building a tactical shotgun. In that build, I am having the weapon refinshed with powder coat. The powder coater gave me those numbers. Close tollerances in a firearm are critical to safety and reliablity as well as appearance.

As I stated in my original post, I just was making the suggestion to Stan that he take a scrap, measure it with a micrometer for thinkness before powder coat...then after and he would know first hand what to expect. Then compare that with the paper he wants to use for spacers and make it a match.

I don't pretend to nor will I ever be an aircraft designer or builder. I just was responding with the information I had at my disposal to a great friend who is one of the best aircraft builders that I have ever met on the forum.

Enough said.

Stay safe.
Yes Heath , I grasp that , thanks . Maybe I was just thinking out loud or something , there was a time in my life where I really did worry about the grams of weight of paint on one blade more than the other. One extra coat of paint on a flying surface weighs quite a bit. A quart of paint can weigh a lot more than a quart of water or avgas.

It required that somebody took me by the ear and explained that was a function of the weight and balance department and not mine. I always felt it was my responsibility.

I then began to observe the weight and balance folks and realized how hard they worked to keep things running smooth. For me it was a hard lesson. I always thought the painter was the most important person in an aircraft factory.

I have been humbled a couple of hundred additional times since then.

Arnie Madsen
the eternal student. Mostly slow.
Best regards in your precision Heath. I admire.

Stan do you have your videos yet? Nicolas recommends to paint first, assemble partially with smaller diameter bolts at the critical square points only, drill remaining holes to proper size and then bolt, then remove smaller bolts, drill to proper size. Once frame is completely assembled, disassemble entirely to debur all holes and blow out shavings from in tubes, then reassemble entire frame with proper finished bolts. I think this will be most efficient. Absolutely nullifies risk of having to compensate any paint tolerance with elongated holes. He uses the smaller bolts at the squaring points first incase any correction is needed before the final drill. Hope this made sense.

Edited for clarity. Should have used bullets lol

Last edited:
Oh man that guy can paint!!!
You are going to turn him lose, GREAT IDEA! :peace:
Dang I wish he was close to me.

I want a paint job like that!!!:Cry:

Well Stan , no problem, all is working out well. If it came in now , it would have to be air lifted in anyway, so NOooooo problem. :) :) :)

Tony

Funny it's easier for a person to get into the USA than a crate of aluminum. And aluminum can't even vote. Yet.

Ya I got the word too. At least we will have all the paper work required from now on.
Brian's and all that follow hopefully will be much easier!!!

Stan sure do hope that you will be able to get some vids of your work on this kit.

Not only would they be invaluable to other builders of this type, but they would show people how to do it safely and correctly.

It would be a great service to gyro builders in general, and I am also sure that you would be able to recoup any time, trouble or cost to yourself. Good videos of craftsmen at work are always at a premium. Almost none that I know of, of a gyro from start to finish.

Perhaps some deal may be come to between yourself, Nicolas and John.

@Leigh
Buddy, I think that is a great idea!!!!

Ya I got the word too. At least we will have all the paper work required from now on.
Brian's and all that follow hopefully will be much easier!!!

John I still haven't received the latest paperwork. Can you shoot something my way for my record?

I changed my title to Genesis Generator II and reserved I for Stan. We will all witness an evolution, big bang, and creation all at the same time when we turn our first bolt of the GENESIS!

Stan, I'm intimidated by the paint guy you have lined up! I called my dad that afternoon and said the gauntlet has been thrown...I need to get my paint scheme solid! :)

John I still haven't received the latest paperwork. Can you shoot something my way for my record?

OK check your email!

Oh no not a competition but just that I need to really think about paint. It's been the only thing I can't decide on. And I'm going nice and slow. Learning from last night's suspension fiasco, one thing right usually meant two things wrong or unpredicted. I'm learning that there is no "I'm going to get this this and this done tonight"...because deadlines means crappy work. I'm glad we called it quits last night and will be regrouping tonight.

Success no1 !!!!

the Kits are now free from our customs!!!! I have learned a lot of things now as of how customs work.

USA and Europe came into an agreement on controlling aviation equipment. Our customs (in Cyprus) was "Attacked" by foreign customs when they realized we were exporting aircraft parts.

I had to go through several restriction notes (99% had to do with Launch systems and the rest with dangerous materials). Now our Customs is satisfied that all restrictions do not aply to our kits!!!!!!!

This means that items are now free to leave EU. what remains to be seen now is if US customs will need more papers. This Monday will be the moment of truth!!!! keep your fingers crossed!!

Brian's Kit is scheduled to leave Cyprus by end of February. I am going to present the export papers to our customs this monday.... so we will have the time to provide any additional info if needed before we are ready for shipping. Once all papers are in order we can then just drop the kit to the airline and of it goes to the USA.

Thanks Nicolas! I wonder how many rubber stamps and signatures and papers will be on your crates Stan! Can't wait to hear the news! :)

Dang, sounds like alot of trouble to just mail some aluminum tubing and stuff. why not call it parts for a airboat kit?

And why don't some of you guys build Dominators or Starbees or some other american stuff..... I haven't been talking to Ernie much lately, but I would suspect business to be really slow lately. We need to think of our " local " manufactors too!