Gary Goldsberry

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Terrible news. My condolences and prayers for the family. May he rest in peace.

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
I am just sickened to hear this tragedy. My first Mentone was in 2002. I never will forget Gary pulling his Bensen out of his trailer, and Sue wiping it all down for him. The air show he put on with that thing was simply antigravitical. Prayers to Sue and all.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
It is hard to come to grips with.

Gary was one of the best pilots I know and taught me a lot.

It is a reminder that tomorrow is promised to no one.

He was in a very real sense responsible for the PRA acquiring the Mentone Airport where I am headed shortly.

Rest in peace my friend.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
As I pulled up outside the Mentone PRA office on Friday afternoon ...I was "greeted" with this terrible news ....Gary had made an emergency landing on a test flight in a helicopter a couple of hours ago and it caught fire ...Lifewatched out ..."It does not look good"!! ... My immediate thoughts for Sue and family ...deepest empathy ...having gone through the same experience ...4 years ago! There will be a sadness here at Mentone losing such a legend & icon of our organization - as there was 4 years ago! We have lost so many and the losses go on ... RIP Gary ....there is a HUGE hole here without you & Sue this year!

SportCopter

Aircraft
Vortex M912, SportCopterII, Vortex 582
What a shock, and one is never ready to hear such news. When I think of the PRA, I think of Gary Goldsberry! He has been such a cornerstone for the PRA, with major sacrifices of his time and energy. We thank you for that Gary and your family! I have always appreciated everything Gary has accomplished for all of us members of the PRA. It is amazing how much one man can make such a huge and positive light over an industry.

Gary was also a true professional businessman and an incredible Pilot and Instructor, who was always there for me and my company, and was a real pleasure to work with. Gary you will be truly missed, as you have been historic in our industry.

Thank you for touching each one of us. You are always in our prayers. Godspeed Gary Goldsberry!

WHUBBS

Aircraft
Magni M-22 Voyager
Total Flight Time
1522 fw / 1020 gyro
Several PRA members here in Tennessee are so very sad for the loss of our good friend and mentor of our sport, we pray for Mrs. Goldsberry and the family I first met Gary in 1998 the year I joined PRA and started flying a Gyroplane. I loved to just watch Gary fly his little machine each and every year. Our good friend is now flying with God and he won't ever let you fall again RIP good friend.

Col Murph'

A few years back it was Gary who performed the first condition inspection on my newly acquired gyro. Always a man of few words, he worked quietly mentioning only enough facts to pique my interest and make me want to do the research. Many months later he flew my check ride. His comment after the first landing, "* - - -, you know how to fly this thing. We're done." A good mechanic, a good pilot, a good friend. We shared time together, and I am honored.

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
In the obit, reading the rotorcraft portion of his life...then, the cat bomb!
Someone w/ a sense of humor there writing it!

His passion was rotorcraft. He was an active member and Past President of the Popular Rotorcraft Association. He hated cats... AND CHICKENS

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Here is to Gary a more, knowledgeable, gregarious, helpful, and generous man the likes of which we may never meet again.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Here how I remember Gary... tearing up the skys and enjoying life to the fullest.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Thank-you John for those videos .... it's good to share & remember!
It was a wonderful honor to be assigned lead in the missing-man fly-by with Desmon & Craig wings and Doug in his award-winning sportcopter doing the break-out ...flying west ...with his smoker going!
Even better was a last minute passenger ... Sue Goldsberry asked to ride along with me in my red Titanium .... as we broke ground & climbing out into the sky above Mentone...she broke out into a delighted laugh ...she said she was laughing & crying...all together! we never wanted to share this sisterhood of sudden loss of our beloved spouses ..... but there we were - sharing a special flight in tribute to her wonderful Gary!

tcastro

Aircraft
Grumman-AA1A/Brock-KB-2
Total Flight Time
What kind of helicopter was he flying and what was the problem that cause the accident??

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
What kind of helicopter was he flying and what was the problem that cause the accident??
He was test flying Brent Drake's Brantly and the engine quit at about 25'. That is in the dead man's zone on that model. You cannot gain enough airspeed and it banks to the right if I remember correctly, or the left. It landed so hard it drove the landing gear through the floor and fuel tank bursting into flames. His 1st words were engine out, then get me out of here. They did but he was too badly burned to survive and they unplugged the life support system and Gary left us.

hillberg

Had two Brantleys with fuel line issues one caught fire (Loose line connection) caught during a hover and the other leaked fuel like a sieve.(no fire)

The fire wall to engine line when old will act like a sprinkler and cause big problems for a little piece of hose.

This was in the late 80s