Fusioncopter Nano Ultralight Gyroplane USA Distributor

NJpilot

Gold Supporter
Do you think the extra 3hp of a Polini 303 would be at all impactful? Does the Nano have trim controls?

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Do you think the extra 3hp of a Polini 303 would be at all impactful? Does the Nano have trim controls?
3 hp would be hard to tell the difference. No trim controls on the Nano but once a single place is set up.... there is no need to re-trim.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
A few config. issues to ponder:

The H-stab is set at a lifting incidence when in the 3-point position. This is generally a de-stabilizing setup; zero or negative (leading-edge-down) incidence is normal. A lifting H-stab generates a nose-down bias, just as HTL does. It won't produce a PPO as HTL will, but it may make the gyro's initial reaction to turbulence a bit confused.

The nosewheel is exceptionally high when in the taildragger position. The height of the nosewheel or tailwheel when either one is off the ground is sufficient at around 7" for a gyro with Bensen-ish dimensions. We're looking for a rock-back angle of 8-ish deg. compared to the gyro's cruise stance.

The vertical fin looks to be all-flying, but lacking an anti-servo tab. It's better to have the tab, but at least there should be adequate friction in the rudder cable system to more or less "stick" the rudder where you push it. That's one reason to use plastic, or wooden, cable fairleads (non-rotating cable guides) instead of pulleys.

The center-of mass appears low compared to the center of the prop (i.e. it's potentially HTL). It's best to check, though. Appearances can be deceptive, e.g. the gas is not that low, the wheels are apparently light and the rotor weight may pull the CG up to the prop thrustline.

Narrow, spoked wheels are great from the weight and drag viewpoints. They don't tolerate side loads well, though. Many a spoker has caved in when a pilot landed in a crab.

The main axle appears to be a spring without a damper. Springs store energy and them give it back later, which can lead to up-and-down resonance -- the "jiggles." Shock absorbers (or other friction devices that divert the energy and turn it to heat instead of spring-bending) are helpful.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
I should have been clearer about "3-point position." The H-stab is certainly at lifting AOA when she's on the tailwheel, but also when she's on the 3 mains. The former is to be expected and is not an issue. The latter is less good, if the cruising stance is roughly the same as the "3 mains" stance.

Strike

Aircraft
Autogiro
Total Flight Time
ЧАС.Я видел видео полета, я вообще вижу, как эта модель сильно нервничает! очень нестабильно! Двигатель считаю, что во время полета почти 85/90% его мощности! Я не считаю его образцом для всех, особенно для новичков !!

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
I should have been clearer about "3-point position." The H-stab is certainly at lifting AOA when she's on the tailwheel, but also when she's on the 3 mains. The former is to be expected and is not an issue. The latter is less good, if the cruising stance is roughly the same as the "3 mains" stance.
Toward the end of the video when we see it taxiing on the runway form behind while zoomed-in from a distance, gives a truer view of the HS incidence. I see more of the top surface than I would expect to if the pitch were zero, giving me the impression that it is mounted slightly positive. This does seem to run counter to what I've learned here.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Obviously not designed by an aeronautical engineer nor any other kind of engineer but it’s cute.
Well.... it is designed by competent aeronautical company. Very well designed and built.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
My impression is that Mr Beaty does not much like any gyros currently being produced.

gyrojeffro

Obviously not designed by an aeronautical engineer nor any other kind of engineer but it’s cute.
I like the wheels tho, taggart was onto something with the bicycle bush wheels.
those wheels tho! its like taggart new what a bush copter should be! The original had bicycle wheels.

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 9

DavePA11

Looks like fun, but at 9:30 in the morning the density altitude at my home field is already 8600 feet and will only go up as the day warms, so I don't think it will fly up here.
How would a Magni M-22 with 914 perform around Colorado?

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
My impression is that Mr Beaty does not much like any gyros currently being produced.
The only gyro from across the Atlantic where the designer appears to have some technical background and to be more than just a stylist copying other EuroTubs is the gyro flown by Joe Peres, the Aviomania GS2.
The EuroTub style, low slung and racy like an Italian sports car, was created by Vittrio Magni, an aviation mechanic who, according his own statements, learned how to design gyros as a result of building a Bensen from plans.

Strike

Aircraft
Autogiro
Total Flight Time
L'unico giroscopio dall'altra parte dell'Atlantico in cui il designer sembra avere un background tecnico ed essere più di un semplice stilista che copia altri EuroTub è il giroscopio pilotato da Joe Peres, l'Aviomania GS2.
Lo stile EuroTub, basso e vivace come un'auto sportiva italiana, è stato creato da Vittrio Magni, un meccanico aeronautico che, secondo le sue stesse dichiarazioni, ha imparato a progettare giroscopi grazie alla costruzione di una Bensen dai piani.
😲🤭😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Well.... the Nano does well for what it’s designed to do. Fits a notch and it is a true ultralight. Mine weighs in at 238 lbs empty.

Rattler 1

Aircraft
C150-C172-Taylorcraft-Tbird-Rans S9-challenger-Benson-Air Command-Sportcopter
Total Flight Time
How much wind can the Nano take? I had a Sport Copter and really didn't worry much about the wind. Will it fly in 20 MPH wind? I really like the 103 part. Less Gov involvement. Less $ after purchase etc. I also like the partial enclosure as I live in MN and it gets cold up here.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
It can handle some wind but it is an ultralight. Very lightweight and not much penetration.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Now, the four-seater's configuration is really concerning. Any possible nits or picks over little details of the Nano are trivial by comparison to the apparent use of two semi-rigid rotors on a single mast and far too much area ahead of the CG for the tail to handle.

A whole lot of 'splainin' to do, Lucy.

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Now, the four-seater's configuration is really concerning. Any possible nits or picks over little details of the Nano are trivial by comparison to the apparent use of two semi-rigid rotors on a single mast and far too much area ahead of the CG for the tail to handle.

A whole lot of 'splainin' to do, Lucy.
I recall Chuck B and others explaining the stress issues with twin rotors in this configuration. I'd be interested to see how they dealt with the phase issue. I see, however, from the attached side-view photo that the rotors appear to be perhaps 25-30 degrees out of phase instead of 90. I wonder if that was part of the solution. There's a pic of the head (I believe) in a testing apparatus but hard to discern what's going on.

Attachments

• fusion4 side.jpg
    fusion4 side.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 20
  • fusion4 head.jpg
    fusion4 head.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 21