Funny that a gyro is harder to meet Part 103 than a fixed wing

If it isn't too much trouble, could you weigh the Wunderlich prerotator flex shaft, mounts, and bendix, but not the ring gear Scott? Maybe I've overestimated how much it weighs. I know the cordless drill motor idea and my brushless system are far lighter.

If it isn't too much trouble, could you weigh the Wunderlich prerotator flex shaft, mounts, and bendix, but not the ring gear Scott? Maybe I've overestimated how much it weighs. I know the cordless drill motor idea and my brushless system are far lighter.
John, can you post some pictures and info on your brushless pre-rotor set up please?

David

I may get a chance later in the week, I will try to remember to do so.

This is what I'm using now David. I have the sprocket set as over running. I've used Ratchet and pawl, one way needle roller bearings and sprags to do this. The sprocket is on the outside of the device and the inside is built into the head itself. Spun counterclockwise from the top it turns the head and rotors, otherwise the head turns/freewheels/overruns and the sprocket doesn't while inflight. The upside is that it allows use of sprockets which are easy to change and tweak and it is dramatically lighter partly because that and no bendix. The downside is that it is more difficult incorporating a rotor brake. You see the weight of the entire rotorhead, motor, sprockets, esc, and chain are only about 7 1/2 pounds. Batteries add 3 pounds.
https://www.rotaryforum.com/attachments/1581967561797-png.1146627/

This is what I'm using now David. I have the sprocket set as over running. I've used Ratchet and pawl, one way needle roller bearings and sprags to do this. The sprocket is on the outside of the device and the inside is built into the head itself. Spun counterclockwise from the top it turns the head and rotors, otherwise the head turns/freewheels/overruns and the sprocket doesn't while inflight. The upside is that it allows use of sprockets which are easy to change and tweak and it is dramatically lighter partly because that and no bendix. The downside is that it is more difficult incorporating a rotor brake. You see the weight of the entire rotorhead, motor, sprockets, esc, and chain are only about 7 1/2 pounds. Batteries add 3 pounds.

AWESOME! Very good answer to weight and complexity of ujoints or cvj's, and sliding shafts.

what model of engine are you using? how many volts do you feed it?