Fuel consumption

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
A group of us have done a few X Country trips lately in a mixture of different gyros and found it interesting that the Cavalon is about 10-15% more economical than the M24. On our last trip there was three Cavalons and two M24's and the fuel consumption difference was consistent with all aircraft.
Interestingly on previous trips the M16 seems to be more fuel efficient than the Mto.......anyone have any ideas?
All aircraft have 914 engines and we all travelled together at the same altitude and speed.

Gyro28866

David McCutchen
Aircraft
Benson B7m & B8m, Dominator II; Kolb Mark III Classic
Total Flight Time
750 combined FW & Gyro
The first thing I would look at is Propeller pitch and engine rpm.
Second, I would consider the All up weight of each machine and the rotor rpm.
Then, try to consider the drag profile, parasitic and induced.

DavePA11

Rick - Not related to your question, but what is the typical cruise speed for the Cavalon and M24? Thanks!

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Skylane, AutoGyro Cavalon (Due in May), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
300+
I typically cruise in the 82-85kts in my Cavalon.

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
DavePA11;n1127012 said:
Rick - Not related to your question, but what is the typical cruise speed for the Cavalon and M24? Thanks!
I do most of my flying in the Cavalon two up and generally with full fuel as I do a lot of traveling, in cruise I normally sit on around 4800-4900 rpm at 28-29 MAP which gives me around 70knots. It can obviously fly a lot quicker but I find those settings the most comfortable. I also have an IVO inflight adjustable prop which works really well.
i have done quite a few trips with friends in their M24's and the Cavalon appears to be a much quicker and more fuel efficient machine as their engine is always around 200rpm more than mine for the same speed.

Last edited:

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
Gyro28866;n1127007 said:
The first thing I would look at is Propeller pitch and engine rpm.
Second, I would consider the All up weight of each machine and the rotor rpm.
Then, try to consider the drag profile, parasitic and induced.
The M24 has a fixed pitch prop and is adjusted for maximum revs on WOT. As far as weight goes the Cavalon with a larger fuel tank is heavier than the M24. I think the major factor is drag as I have photographed my friends in flight many times and the M24 appears to fly in a slightly nose down attitude consistently. This could be a consequence of the high thrust line, one for the experts to determine.

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
magknight;n1127013 said:
I typically cruise in the 82-85kts in my Cavalon.
Is that by yourself or two up? To fly at that speed two up I would imagine you would need to sit on around 5200rpm which I know is fine, the problem would be that I would leave all of my flying buddies behind.
i do a lot of traveling around Oz and have found that most modern gyros can cruise at 70-75 knots and all pilots seem to be comfortable with that speed. I recently took a group of 9 across the country and back and managed to keep the lot of us fairly close together throughout the trip.

DavePA11

70-75knots is cruise speed at5200rpm in my Vortex M912 with rotor rpm around 350-360. Still trying to find good solution to reduce noise. Flycom helmet works good, but still seem to need ear plugs. Does the cabin in the Cavalon help reduce noise more like fixed wing plane?Thanks.

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Skylane, AutoGyro Cavalon (Due in May), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
300+
Rick E;n1127019 said:
Is that by yourself or two up? To fly at that speed two up I would imagine you would need to sit on around 5200rpm which I know is fine, the problem would be that I would leave all of my flying buddies behind.
i do a lot of traveling around Oz and have found that most modern gyros can cruise at 70-75 knots and all pilots seem to be comfortable with that speed. I recently took a group of 9 across the country and back and managed to keep the lot of us fairly close together throughout the trip.
Yes that's 2 up, I cruise at 5100-5200 RPM and 31 MAP. If by myself I'll cruise at 4900 and 29 MAP. I assume you meant you cruise at 28-29 not 38-39 MAP :).

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
My rotor speed is normally around 380rrpm. The later Cavalons have extra cabin sound proofing, mine is a bit older I do however use Bose headsets that have fantastic noise cancelling properties and while they don't cut the noise out completely go pretty close.
I instruct in an Mto Sport and find the standard Autogyro helmet works very well. I am about to start training a guy in a Titanium gyro and will be using a Flycom helmet in his gyro, it will be interesting to compare the two different helmets.

Rick E

Aircraft
Cavalon and an MTO Sport
Total Flight Time
1980+
magknight;n1127025 said:
Yes that's 2 up, I cruise at 5100-5200 RPM and 31 MAP. If by myself I'll cruise at 4900 and 29 MAP. I assume you meant you cruise at 28-29 not 38-39 MAP :).
Thanks for that, I have just corrected my post.
Flying by myself I normally set the Ivo prop for 4800rpm @ 29 MAP and cruise at 80 knots. They are a very quick machine in cruise mode, I do however find it quite sluggish during takeoff and while climbing. It could be the Ivo prop which may not be quite as well suited to those phases of flight.