ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
Hello Everyone,

I've been fairly absent for awhile but it's time to get back to work.

Over the next few weeks you should see some substantial changes to the forum. We'll be upgrading to the newer version of the software which should address some security concerns but also allow us to add new features. The current version is no longer seeing any new development so it's time for us to move up. That being said, we aren't going "all the way" with this upgrade. We'll be moving from vBulletin 3.8.x to 4.2.2. There is a version 5.x but after doing extensive reading and talking with several people it sounds like version 5 still has too many bugs and too many issues. We're going to hold back for now.

We'll also be implementing a new and hopefully much better classifieds system.

If there are other features you've seen on other forums that you'd like implemented here, please let me know and we'll see what we can do. Please send me a link with an example of what you're talking about so I can take a look.

I also have some ideas for the future but we need to get through this first step.

We will see occasional outages as we bring the forum down for work but hopefully most of this will take place in the wee hours of the morning and won't affect very many.

Also please be aware that any upgrade is going to make changes. I'm sure for some people this will absolutely destroy your world. Please try to keep it all in perspective and remain a little bit flexible. I'm pretty sure you'll find it all will be fine in the end.

Thanks for your cooperation and understanding.

Todd

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Thank you for all your hard work Todd!

Thank you for all your hard work Todd!

I love the Rotary Wing Forum!

Since you asked; I would love to have a "like" button because I often find myself at a loss for works and yet I want to be supportive.

Thank you, Vance

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
I find embedding youtube clips cumbersome in the current version. Might this be getting easier with the new one?

Also, I second Vance's "Like" button suggestion.

-- Chris.

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
I urge caution

I have seen other forums experience more problems than benefits by "new and improved versions" ... you may gain some pop snazz and sizzle and pink borders that would thrill a 13 year old girl ... but a lot of the good stuff gets lost or screwed up .

-Archived content that does not change over properly
-Links that do not work .... I am talking about internal RWF links to other RWF threads etc
-pictures that disappear
-Quoted posts that do not reproduce as quoted posts , but look like they were written by the person who was disagreeing with the quoted post ... a real mess
-Internal search functions that no longer work

One very large forum recently changed from vBulletin 3.8.x to 4.2.2 and they had lots of problems .... and nothing improved except they got a larger server ... they even lost their home page and several months later still have not fixed it ... the computer geek who promoted the upgrade disappeared into the night

In the back of my mind I have always been glad RWF stayed the same , it has a wealth of archived content worth saving forever

I hope I am wrong and the changes are beneficial .

ps: A thank You button would be a good thing .... it lets posters know when we appreciate their content

best wishes

Aussie_Paul

A reforming stirrer!!!!!
Aircraft
None at the moment.
Total Flight Time
Since 1982 Gyro 5000+ mostly instructing, and approx. 200 fixed wing in the late 1960s.
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for this wonderful forum Todd.

Aussie Paul. :)

500e

Aircraft
500c\d\e 300C & CBi
Total Flight Time
a lot more now
I urge caution

I have seen other forums experience more problems than benefits by "new and improved versions" ... you may gain some pop snazz and sizzle and pink borders that would thrill a 13 year old girl ... but a lot of the good stuff gets lost or screwed up .

-Links that do not work .... I am talking about internal RWF links to other RWF threads etc
-pictures that disappear
-Quoted posts that do not reproduce as quoted posts , but look like they were written by the person who was disagreeing with the quoted post ... a real mess

One very large forum recently changed from vBulletin 3.8.x to 4.2.2 and they had lots of problems .... and nothing improved except they got a larger server ... they even lost their home page and several months later still have not fixed it ... the computer geek who promoted the upgrade disappeared into the night

In the back of my mind I have always been glad RWF stayed the same , it has a wealth of archived content worth saving forever

ps: A thank You button would be a good thing .... it lets posters know when we appreciate their content

best wishes
I am also a caution sort of person, have seen the same as Arnie why change if not broken new is not always good, ps&s+p I can do without

MadMuz

Aircraft
Open Gyro, Grumman AA5, Cessna
Total Flight Time
Agree with the like button :violin:

Like vance said, it is good to show appreciation of a post without having to tie up a post window that it is hard to think of something to say in :noidea:

When he wrote that post ^ I actually went looking for the like button :noidea::usa2:

Penguin

Too Short a Member
Aircraft
Dominator, 582, 23' Dragon Wings, 60" Warp Drive
Total Flight Time
250+ hours
Somewhat disappointed.
I was hoping you were talking about higher quality members.
:noidea:

Glenn_K

I'm Batman
Aircraft
Butterfly "Super" Monarch, Butterfly Aurora, AutoGyro Calidus Piper Warrior, C150, C172
Total Flight Time
250+
My thanks as well

My thanks as well

I, too, would like to thank you, Todd, for the work you do for us here.

SandL

Aircraft
Bensen Merlin dragon wings Rotax 532
Total Flight Time
400hrs (4,000 instructional launches) gliding, 200 fixed wing, 100 gyro
just wondering if experience (taken from the personal profile) could be included at the top of each post so if some one is giving advice it is quick to see if they are a gyro pilot, helicopter pilot or builder .... or just an armchair pilot.
for example If I see a post suggesting a method of take off In a gyro I would like to know if the person suggesting has ever flown a gyro !

great Forum many thanks

cburg

Yahoo completely ruined what were some of the best forums when they "improved it". Now nobody even looks at them.

I urge caution

-pictures that disappear

best wishes

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
this forum has been upgraded already several times. It gets better with each upgrade.

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
On 22 December 2009, vBulletin 4.0 Gold was released to the public amid customer concerns that it met a predetermined release schedule rather than producing a stable product Common customer complaints included substantial browser display issues, which affected Safari, Opera, and Internet Explorer 6, and a greatly increased number of MySQL queries in the default configuration as a result of the new Content Management System.

On 12 January 2010, vBulletin 4.0.1 was released with over 200 bug fixes and style tweaks. On 8 April 2010, vBulletin 4.0.3 was released with over 300 bug fixes as well as simple integration with Facebook Connect for single-signon between customer's boards and Facebook.

On 18 June 2010, vBulletin 4.0.4 is released with over 450 bug fixes. The release was made despite various "showstopper" bugs, many of which caused issues with the upgrade process.

On 24 June 2010, vBulletin 4.0.4 "Patch Level 1" was released, but none of the previous showstopper bugs were fixed, except for two widget bugs according to official announcement.