Forum Moderation

gyromike

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Bensen B8MG
I suppose you've all read Todd's announcement and probably know what prompted it.

Todd emailed me about this and I was pretty much of the same mindset as him. Things had been getting ugly, and I was probably remiss for not putting a stop to it earlier. I didn't want to appear to be too heavy-handed, and I usually try to stay neutral. But things had clearly gotten out of hand and seemed to be getting worse. I apologize for not being more pro-active.

I will be more diligent about keeping things on an even keel from now on. We have a lot of people who are interested in gyros and the first thing they see, on the best gyro forum on the internet, is a bunch of squabbling. We have to be a little more cognizant of our behavior toward each other, and to the image we present to the public.

To echo what Todd posted:

Keep your personal squabbles private. Take it to email, or use a phone, or get together in a parking lot and duke it out. We don't want to hear it. We don't want to read it.

Posting private emails without the consent of the sender is forbidden. Whether you agree with what is written or not, it's private correspondence and needs to stay private.

If you have a legitimate gripe with a particular design or theory and want to discuss it, fine. That's what this forum is for. But think about what you have just written before hitting the 'Reply' button. Too often these technical discussions start getting personal and nothing but hard feelings result, with nothing being resolved. I would think that even a bunch of hard-headed individualists like us can disagree without being disagreeable.

We're all here to share our experiences and learn from each other.
But if I have to start thinning out objectionable posts and putting people in a non-posting status, I will.

Mike,

Thanks for stepping in on this Ron E fiasco!

Regardless of all other issues related to his public postings, Ron E's posts including Dolfin's private email response, and Ron's dealings with Stan, should have been private issues, no question.

No further comment on the Dofin issue. He is who he is, and most everyone is aware of it, except someone who is new to the forum.

Regarding Stan's gyro sale, if this were kept private, I'm positive it would have worked out to a very agreeable conclusion. Stan would have learned a lesson regarding resale of gyro's, and Ron would have learned to take someone experienced with him to look at a gyro for purchase.

And we all would have been saved a ton of useless drivel and keyboard fisticuffs regarding both situations. But best of all, no newcomers would have been subjected to the endless bashing this forum seems to generate.

Again, thanks for calling a timeout.

Hear...Hear, Mike and Todd.

A great move.

I haven't checked yet, but have those two threads been removed?!

Cheers :)

Todd, Mike, I applaude your efforts on cleaning up the Forum. This should have been done long ago. I see one more problem poster that should be adressed. When I see posts that call the forum stupid it just seems like a game to me for this poster. I`m sick of the Beauty Shop BS, Soap Opera, Childish conduct that comes from this poster. If you all want this forum to attract people to our world of Gyros do it in a positve way. I posted my feelings on another thread started by this poster but he must have removed it before all could read.

I don't think so Ron...Altho :D

Mike...thru private messages, I know there are a couple other posters that are highly irritating and combative at times...maybe I'm one of 'em :noidea: but, maybe if you received a number of complaints about a particular poster, he or she could be given a get cool notice or, be canned outright. ;)

Harry,

I hope I don't have to do that. I think we can police ourselves fairly well if we just think a little before posting.

A lot of times I'll type up something in Word and save it to my hard drive, then come back to it a little later to review it before posting. Mainly for error checks, but also to see if it can be worded more diplomatically.

Good thing Mike and Todd. A good move in the right direction. Actually Humans do like rules and to know where the line in the sand is drawn. :eek:hwell:

Aussie Paul. :)

If we don't watch out the forum will be having threads like" What ever happened to""""????

I don't think so Ron...Altho :D

Mike...thru private messages, I know there are a couple other posters that are highly irritating and combative at times...maybe I'm one of 'em :noidea: but, maybe if you received a number of complaints about a particular poster, he or she could be given a get cool notice or, be canned outright. ;)

I don't know Harry, I will wait and see what Rick says.

I had followed the definitive thread(s) with interest, placing myself on both sides and believe that neither party were “duking it out.” Quite the contrary per my latest reading thereof. Both were rather civil and appeared to learn from it. Less level-headedness amongst either may have resulted in yet another unnecessary pilot casualty. From my chair all worked out well, and the new owner has a ship more carefully inspected than probably would have otherwise. The seller benefited as well by understanding the consequences of passing along “assumed” knowledge.

The public posting of private correspondence, though, was tacky. There is a plethora of methods here on our own forum to speak with others without the need to “announce and frame the skid-marks in others’ underwear.” Though (partially) in the buyer’s defense, he’s a Forum newbie and may not be aware of etiquette. Nonetheless, most cultures have similar values based on inherent moral principals, and the Net’s melting pot is no different. I mean no disrespect to the “unsatisfied buyer” when I say this, but the airing of private conversations skates a thin line. It does raise an interesting question though about tape recording private phone calls for public listening… Hmm.

Either way, Thank you Mike & Todd. I’m very proud to be a member of this great forum, and believe you made the right move when needed. As I’ve noted before, we’re all a bunch of pocket-protector nerds with melon-size balls… why else would we fly these things? But more importantly I think: we’re a brotherhood of sorts. We all have egos that can afford to be taken up or down a notch or two but, like siblings, we learn and get over it… then we go outside and play!

Thanks,
Brian

Yea Brian

I like to go outside and play. Siblings do fight but when it's over they play with their sibling like nothing happen. And don't say anything bad about the other. They will protect their sibling. Our brotherhood has one very strong binding force. It is the air we breath, smell and fly in. It is the invisible force that we all love. The outdoors is definately where it is at.

As a outsider looking in may I ask a question and make a comment.

I do believe the sales deal should have been kept private. The he said/she said had not business being made public. Along with all the comments that followed.

Now as the the private e-mail in regards to instruction I can see it a little different. If an instructor has has gone on record which appears to go against what is considered acceptable I see nothing wrong with someone showing what he has said. How can a newbee know not to use this instructor if no one will speak-up? I know when I got my F/W I got burned by an instructor that shouldn't have been an instructor. In fact had I not taken control I would have burned a whole in the ground due to iceing. He said it would be OK even after I question he about the chance of getting into bad weather.

It is one thing where there are thousands of instructors but I have learned there isn't very many in the gyro world.

I have found the comments on such topics as CLT vs HLT a good lesson. It gave me the knowledge of what to look for.

That's my 1/2 cent.

Leon
kc0iv

Heads up we got a spammer in our midst.
Freetramml has all the ear marks of one. No real name and a commercial as a first post. Pull his plug fast!!!

I just don't understand...

I just don't understand...

A driver has a car wreck and everyone sends condolences.

A pilot crashes an airplane and everyone sends flowers.

A biker goes down and we have benefit rides, usually $25 per bike. (Maybe it's just an excuse to ride?)

A gyro goes down and it's an instant world wide gathering of vultures to pick apart the bones.

Last edited:
A gyro goes down and it's an instant world wide gathering of vultures to pick apart the bones. I'm not so sure I want to fly a gyro anymore. I'll stay with the bikes where I have true friends.

I can well understand your feelings in that regard, Coby.

Sometimes, I think along the same lines. Maybe, I should give it up...the fiascos on the forum, that is, not the flying. :rolleyes:

:director:
Come on Cody, if your "hawgs" engineering was " f--kt up and people were dying because the bike went into a high speed wobble and killed you, and you knew the design was flawed, would you keep your mouth shut, I think not.

Jay, I hear that at 150mph it does have a high speed wobble. I'll never know!

Last edited:
I have not been to other Foruns, only gyros.
I am gratefull for all information posted here, we say condolences to the family and go back to our business: why, where, how, when, what and so on . . .
I see no vultures here, only people with different levels of sensitivity and inteligence, but over all I see a lot of good hearts.
By monitoring and interfering on people´s behavior, we are going to have a uniform code of conduct and in time we all look alike, like in the Army.
That is when I will move away . . .no interest in pre fabricated behavior.
Just be yourself and participate, no threats of leaving or if you don´t do this I will do that . . .be like NIKE . . .just do it! Or not . . .
thanks vultures, eagles, hawks, and all the way down to humming birds (size)
Heron