Forum Closing Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I do hope someone will be allowed to take over. As someone wrote: This forum saves lives.

I was invited to SW. I have never been a Trump supporter - but I mind my own business.
Live and let live etc. They (we!) are nice people and the more places I can cry "help" or help others, the better.

A new carbon rotor is on its way for spring, so I can finally get my license - in my own gyro.
After that, I'll build my Gyrobee from the parts I have ready. Problem is, I don't have room for it when built.
I do have hangar space ready at the airport when it's finished, though.
If (or when) I need help - I do hope I have somewhere to ask......;)

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
I am of Irish decent myself (McCall- County Antrim) although we have been in the US since the early 1700's, and I have yet to meet an Irishman that was not heavily opinionated......just saying....

So true .... gotta love the Irish.

Bono was performing in Ireland and before he started he asked the audience to be silent ... then began to slowly clap his hands .... then he said ... "every time I clap my hands a child dies in Africa"

From the crowd came an Irish voice ..... "then stop clappin your friggen hands ya evil bastard"

Some aspects of the workload (software upgrades, server maintenance, etc) could be reduced by using a forum service such as reddit (ie starting a "rotorcraft" subreddit off aviation) ... these services all support multiple levels of content moderation and management tools. IMO preserving every byte of existing content including topic hierarchies that never got a single post isn't really much of a value add. Several tools have already been called out that would let you scrape what's here and park a read-only copy on a URL where anybody could see/search it. That would let individuals, moderators, or automated tools repost stuff where it was felt things should be preserved with continuity.

Totally get where Todd is coming from; you can't get anything done in a garage filled with garbage and empty Amazon boxes.

Anyone else notice that this thread has over 5000 hits in less than 4 days ??
That even beats the trump thread by a large margin.
Proof that even the most disappointing topics can fuel the highest readership.
As I have said several times ... high readership is fundamental in any forum.

I hope someone can step forward and take RWF over ... the historical content is priceless and can never be replaced.

Just had another thought .... what if the Popular Rotorcraft Association bought the forum from Todd and preserved it.

Appoint a couple of decent moderators and let it continue pretty much the same.

May not be a good idea ... not sure ... it could become a top heavy bureaucracy or "taint" the PRA name

Some pleasant and non intrusive advertising at low cost for our gyro parts suppliers , dealers , and CFI's could bring in some revenue.

Anything is better than shutting it down completely

Opinions welcome

If Todd chooses not to respond to anyone here who wants to take over the "burdens" of the RWF perhaps then one of these people could just start a new forum. Since a number of persons here have made copies the info could be reinserted. And I would support a modest fee to cover the costs of maintaining the web site. Note when the powered parachute forum went dark last year for several months it came back it might as well stayed dark based on the current participation.

Those Irish eyes are smiling
I am not Irish , but love 'em
This thread has wandered all over the place ... here's hoping for 6000 hits in 5 days
A Texan gyro pilot walks into an Irish pub and says .... I bet $1000 nobody here can drink 10 pints of beer in 1 hour.

The pub went strangely silent , and after a few minutes one of the patrons even got up and walked out the door.

But then an hour later he walked back in and told the Texan he would accept the challenge.

Great says the Texan .... but if you dont mind me asking .... why did you leave for an hour ?

Irish guy replies .... I had to go to the pub down the street to make sure I could actually drink 10 pints in an hour.
Have a good weekend everybody

you can't get anything done in a garage filled with garbage and empty Amazon boxes
I know that's fact! Wait a sec... have you been peeking in my garage Larry???

""Just had another thought .... what if the Popular Rotorcraft Association bought the forum from Todd and preserved it.

May not be a good idea ... not sure ... it could become a top heavy bureaucracy or "taint" the PRA name""

Not sure that would be a goer as they are having a prolonged transition to their own website at the moment, which should be their #1 objective without the distraction of trying to manage this forum

Attachments

• PRA_2021JAN.jpg
    PRA_2021JAN.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 3

So true .... gotta love the Irish.

Bono was performing in Ireland and before he started he asked the audience to be silent ... then began to slowly clap his hands .... then he said ... "every time I clap my hands a child dies in Africa"

From the crowd came an Irish voice ..... "then stop clappin your friggen hands ya evil bastard"
Rich Hall said there was no work for comedians in Ireland cos they're perfectly capable of entertaining each other. I dunno.

""Just had another thought .... what if the Popular Rotorcraft Association bought the forum from Todd and preserved it.

May not be a good idea ... not sure ... it could become a top heavy bureaucracy or "taint" the PRA name""

Not sure that would be a goer as they are having a prolonged transition to their own website at the moment, which should be their #1 objective without the distraction of trying to manage this forum
I agree ... anybody but John , he has enough unfinished projects to keep him busy.
Mostly I was thinking "ownership" by the PRA and some volunteers to help to run it ... or even paid help .... at one time they had a full time secretary , not sure if they still do. From what I understand screening out spammers is (was) a daily task. I think software may have taken care of most of that. Not sure.

Well, I thought I could download the subfora one by one.
But it doesn't seem to work. Like it's all or nothing.
And there isn't time to download the entire thing.
I'll just see, what I can get.
Cheers
Erik

PS: Yes, seems to me the talk of "Irish luck" must be sarcastic.
Family and I were in Dublin a few years ago. It was most depressing.
Quite run down and the tourist bus tour was about rebellions,
punishments (people hung) and graveyards. English Imperialism.
Very nice people but somewhat depressing place.

Well, I thought I could download the subfora one by one.
But it doesn't seem to work. Like it's all or nothing.
I was able to download Leighs build thread and have it working on local machine and via dvd. Tried to replicate on my test server at Godaddy and not good results.

The cost of the server, domain name and application are insignificant, If Todd will transfer no issues, if not, bye bye, RWF. That is if in fact he does shut it down!

Status
Not open for further replies.