Forum activity low

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
Is it me or has forum activity dropped lately? I joined two years ago and in such a small amount of time I've noticed a great decline in thread activity. Many people have disappeared or post very rarely. Some threads get a ton of play and others fall off quickly. I am specifically sensitive to this observation recently as most of my video threads on the RAF get lots of views but rarely a response. Maybe others do the same, but I take the time out of my day to go out and record for you guys. For others that are interested in our sport. To promote flying gyroplanes. And to get no response from the membership is disheartening. Makes a guy think what's the point. Is it worth it? Appreciated? I look at other threads and see the same thing. Tumbleweeds drifting through some of the threads. Is it seasonal? Is the summer slow? Am I right in that the forum in general is slowing? Can The admin pull activity numbers and advise? How does one or a few energize and get activity, feedback? Any suggestions of what you would like to see? Slow or no activity and people are just going to find something else to do. I personally would like to see more activity, more videos, more pictures and stories from others. Things have died down a lot since I've become a member. Comments.

PW_Plack

It may be related to economic activity. There are only a couple current build threads which seem to be moving. It may also be related to a bunch of negativity lately.

As for response to the videos, they ARE appreciated, especially by newbies, and unless you've asked a question that requires a response, the views ARE the response!

When I was first interested in gyros, I spent hours watching and reading anything I could find on the web. Ten years later, I'm more careful with my time. The proliferation of little cameras with tons of capacity at low prices is producing videos that keep getting longer and longer, and many could benefit from editing. Some make you watch through several minutes of routine stuff (or tiny, out-of-focus specks that aren't even in the frame half the time) to get to the part you thought would be interesting.

I find myself clicking on very few videos over about two minutes anymore.

Earthboundmisft

The 'FIXER'
Satellite Beach, (Sea Park),(Original 'Lums Bums'
Aircraft
The 'MISSFIT' gyro, GRAND CHAMPION, Bensen Days 2010
Total Flight Time
700 F/W, 227 Gyro
I think a lot of people troll through without posting. Myself included most times.
I enjoy watching the videos.
I get mad reading a lot of the posts.
I have to refrain from posting what i'm thinking.
There are several turds in the punchbowl.
Oops, I posted anyhow...

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Wait until the weather cools off, and it gets dark earlier. it will pick up.
I have a 2 place project I will be working on this winter. Right now I am too busy with work and grass cutting etc.

willisbr

Aircraft
Maule MT7-235; RAF 2000 (sold)
Good words guys. I got a few similar PMs as well. good point Paul aboit editing. My vids can be admittedly lengthy mainly so I can "take my mom" flying with me more than her schedule allows. So she watches. :)

Wiplash

Todd Noble
Aircraft
Air Command 582 LowRider w/stab
Total Flight Time
Gyro - 101 as of 7-10-16
I think a lot of people troll through without posting. Myself included most times.
I enjoy watching the videos.
I get mad reading a lot of the posts.
I have to refrain from posting what i'm thinking.
There are several turds in the punchbowl.
Oops, I posted anyhow...

I'll 2nd that.

I've watched most if not all of your videos and I do appreciate the effort you put into them. :yo:

A'llotta Turds... Unfortunatley...

If it's not too much trouble, keep those vids coming!

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Technical stuff boomed some 7 years ago and produced lots of discussion.
RAF related posting have gone down, most know what it is and it became less fashionable.
Political content has been heavily moderated and less lines there also.
Flying in summer time takes lots of posters out . . . specially don´t like saturdays, all the gang out in the fields and I am down here grounded!
Somber mood after 2001, war, bush, obama et all . . .not many jokes anymore!
Last but not least . . .2012 is right around the corner and some worry about and get less talkative.
But this is a great place for 1001 uses and where my friends are . . .I will be here untill the lights go out! (hey joker, not menacing ok?)
Heron

choppergabor

Aircraft
N65GK Behemoth
Total Flight Time
Too few to mention
Well some of our regulars banned themselves to post. They are just not interested in getting into pissing contests anymore. It is a shame that activity is down as Brian said sometimes you ask yourself what the point is in posting when there is no feedback. I know I was reading and watching everything I could when I first signed up. I still get some very valuable inputs and help from a few. Seems as if every time something of importance comes up someone gets offended and especially around PRA issues. It's kind of poisoning the water right now. Brian I for one appreciate your postings and I am sure there is a silent majority doing the same thing. Sometimes people don't say nothing just to stay neutral so they don't look to be on anyone's side or against anyone else. When this whole thing calms down you'll see some more postings. Until that keep putting your stuff out because the lurkers out there are reading and watching and you are a great service to the sport by doing so. :)

cgmg

Aircraft
Empty hangar right now, have owned and flown Air Command & RAF
Total Flight Time
I've been telling Cathy recently that the activity has really slowed, and there appears to be more non-flying threads than ever before.

I agree with Paul's statement about long videos. I will give a video about 30 seconds to get interesting, if it's not, I move on. Maybe a lot of guys are like me, we enjoy what we see, but feel that 30 "that was a nice video" comments aren't needed.

The economy certainly has people flying less due to the higher cost of gas, and members of the forum who have had jobs lost, pay cuts, or transfers, eating into their flying budgets and time.

Personally, even though I'm retired, my flying hours were minimal this summer, due to the terrible weather. Between all the rain, the wind, and then the heat, it just didn't feel important to get out to the hangar and do some flying. Hopefully, now that Cathy is finding time to fly more with me, you'll see more pics from us.

A friend flies a Taylorcraft, and he says that their forum has been really slow this summer, so maybe the lack of participation on our forum isn't that unusual.

Brian, I do get a kick out of your enthusiasm as a newbie to the world of gyro flight. So stay excited about it, even though we aren't responding to your posts by the hundreds. As Paul said, lots of views mean someone is interested.

lanichol

Aircraft
RAF 2000 AAI Modified, Var Pitch IVO, hydraulic pre-rotator, mechanical FI
Total Flight Time
18 hrs gryo & training
Activity here in the past has always been seasonal. The hours of daylight decreases and people eventually settle back to their keyboards & their shop projects. This summer has been horrible for most if you lack AC.

2004 members were searching for the parameters for a better, safer gyro. New gyros came on the market and stability was much less of an issue. The long cross-country fliers made a big impact on the perception of gyros. So the exploration of the gyros is more settled. The forum is still interesting reading and the videos...great.

Midget 1

Aircraft
Fusioncopter JK-2 Nano
Total Flight Time
When to post and when not to post, that is the question! When you have a question that others with experience can provide feedback, that's a good time. When your personal knowledge or experience could be a contribution to others, that's a good time. When you have produced something that you think others might enjoy seeing, that's a good time. And when something is posted that makes the hair stand up on the back of your neck, that's not the time.

Redbaron

Banned
Aircraft
bee
I personally love your videos brian, especially the engine outs. as paul p said your not gonna get a "atta boy" from everyone. keep the videos coming cause I'm watching.

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
willisbr

Hi Brian

I think you have hit it right on the head, 1. economy and 2. poisonous threads.

The brakes on the economy are starting to "smoke" big time just about everywhere, as far as what the "experts" on the news media say about recovery, well prety much BS.

I left the forum for a while because of the "cat fights" and open irresponsible arguments on the forum where people were so wrapped up in their "rights and what was said and who said what" ect ect ect ect. that I finally got so disgusted and embarassed that's right embarassed, that I finally had to just get off. I see that one previous member is no longer here and one extremely bad thread has been deleted, thank you mr. administrator. I could never be an administrator, I'm getting to old and to short on patience and would have no friends left if I had that job.. When I left for a while a number of people said "just hit the ignore button" or "just ignore that person". Most likely I was not even reading "that persons" post, when you have someone that is "totally negative" you don't waste any attention to them, it was the people that I would normally consider "sane and responsible" that were so outrageous in there display of the lack of good judgement. Many argued about the "right of free speech and no censorship". Well from my point of view " all freedoms come the with the obligation of RESPONSIBILITY, you have a drivers license, and you must drive with responsibility, you have a pilots license, you must fly responsible or you loose them. " Free Speech" also should carry the same conditions. I don't know if anyone has paid any attention to the rapid growth of the autogyro in Europe, and the rise in the number of "new members" on the forum that are from Europe. I would imagine that most of these do not have English as their primary language, they come to the forum seeking information and association with like minded fliers and run into the kind of [email protected]@##$%$%^^ on these cat fight threads and have to wonder "what the H --- have I got into" THIS IS WHY THE IGNORE BUTTON DOES NOT WORK, it is not for me, but for the forums reputation and for the reputation of the PRA which I have been a member quite a long time (# 17081) and I take personal offense at the degrading of the organization by such public postings. I hope that a more considerate view will be use in the future for the benifit of all members of the forum.

Well, with the above rant finished, I have to say we are not unique, I see the same problems on car forums, motorcycle forums photography forums, ect ect. Maybe the human race is just going nuts and it has to be the other persons fault !!

Tony

gyronutjoe

Fl. Member
I love watching the videos, but didn't know I should have posted. Will try to more in the future.

RotoPlane

Gold Supporter
I found myself agreeing with most of the above views. I scan the new threads and posts usually a couple time each day but don't read every one….just don't have the time. If one looks interesting and informative, I'll take the time or come back later.

Most of the time I don't post because I would just be saying what has already been said several times. I did watch this video for about five minutes 'cause that's all I had time for. I rarely watch longer than 8 minutes unless I'm learning something interesting. I usually stay out of the bickering threads.

I try visiting build threads now and then to keep up to date. I find I enjoy Gabi's build and I learn new things, plus I've never felt reluctant to post there. I have learned not to post gyro stuff that is not in the main stream of this forums interests, but I have found it a great place to learn.

Gyro_Kai

Aircraft
MT-03, Calidus (rent)
Total Flight Time
about 150
Hello,

time and weather keep me from flying, so I'm not posting that much this summer. But I try to post on photo and video posts, as I know, it takes work and dedication to make them. Will continue to do so.
Sometimes, I agree, number of views is it. I have not much value to add on the great build threads here, so I just watch. We also seem to have covered a lot of technical issues so extensively that most questions can be answered with "look at this thread" or "use search function". The latter, however, shys off newbies.

Kai.

Sita

Perhaps we take the internet too serious,someone's opinion is not a new law passed by the gov.,it's his/her opinion.

How sad it may seem but "bickering" is just an "off spring" of what is shown to us dayli in the media.
There is no "good" news,news "has" to be tragic-dramatic-violent etc...,that's what is been shown to us every day.
This trend is being pushed through the dayli life under the form of....bickering.
Simply look how many views a "[email protected]#sing match" has,not only here but on EVERY forum.

We've been lied to so many times by gov.,police,justice,unions,salesmen,advertisement etc...that words don't have a meaning anymore.

Young people have learned to live with that and move on.Old farts,like myself,have difficulties with that.
We sometimes still believe that when something is said,it has to be "true",that's how we have been raised.
View and opinion are the absolute thruth to he who express them,not neccesarely to he who read or hear them.

Rules take away personal responsability.....there never have been so many rules as today......and we seem to like it !!!

Minnesota_Mike

Mike, find another thread man. Seriously

Why does anyone want to bother with posting (or learning for that matter) when this is the type of typical comment coming from "members" of standing in this forum.
(And this was a minor-off cuff comment...not like some of the more incendiary comments/threads found on this site quite often).

The sentiments expressed here by MANY (of such high regard for themselves, with little etiquette for others) leaves so very, very much to be desired.

I have been saying this for a long time now...and yet still vacuous minds still wonder why lurkers refuse to post...and many are driven away daily. (well DUH...!!!)

The worst effect of all this is those who REALLY need the great info. found on this site will NEVER log on to gain any insight EVER....and in the long run to the greater detriment of the safety of our sport <and themselves>.

And that make us ALL look bad....no one is spared blame when they bite the dust in a mishap when "We" could have been able to assist with simply kind comments and encouragement.

Self fulfilling prophecy...Pi$$ on folks...get no response...and even less participation.
No rocket science here folks.

I'm a member of many forums....and this place to date has NO RULES for etiquette, for discourse, nor penalties for unruly behavior....go figure...!!!
(Hello...does any body even CARE here...?)

In the end...Ya' get what you deserve.
Cry crocodile tears....I have no sympathy.

M-M.

Last edited:

Sita

Most of the time rules are written for those who have no intention to follow them.
If we need rules on how to behave,being polite.......