Forced landing in my Helicycle....I am ok

Dennis- I am well aware of making the governor box RF tight by having no holes..and all the corners are sealed on the inside with aluminum tape. Drilling a hole right above the light is perfectly fine. I will have a sheet metal screw plugging it.

Stan

Stan

Sorry but wasn't trying to tell you how to do anything with your ship just reminding others that a lot of effort when into making it RFI proof.

Last edited:
Dennis- I didn't mean it as pointed as it sounded. What I was getting at was that the factory made me very aware of proper shielding, not to leave any holes etc. I mentioned drilling a hole but just didn't follow up with that I was going to drill a hole the right size so as a sheet metal screw would plug it. I have been flying around some high tension power lines, and I can hear them pulsing in my headset! So far it doesn't seem to bother it. The turbine has been the smoothest and quietest powerplant. I have flown. .........................By the way, I forgot to mention that I did not hear the turbine shutoff. The sudden left yaw I believe caught all my attention, and I was listening for the turbine whine, but it just wasn't there. Stan

Stan, Did they run calibration curves for the fuel control on the test stand? It might be worthwhile to run a similar set of numbers now. I believe enough data points could be obtained with the engine installed to make a comparison. There are limits for hysteresis of the fuel control that should be known. Also, droop and compensation settings might have been documented.

I am not saying anything is wrong just suggesting comparing before to now might be worthwhile and relatively easy.

Papa Smurf- Thanks for the advice. I do not have the equipment or the know how....yet.....to obtain that data. It will take me awhile to understand the dynamics of a turbine. I just know its been a winderful powerplant for myself and others. Stan

I don't know anything about these particular turbines but I think a simple check of your governor control could be made by dividing the controls range of motion into a series of points. Advance the governor control(throttle) and note the rpm at each point then move the throttle in the decreasing direction to each prenoted point....note the RPM. The speeds should the same.... Both directions every time. Any difference would need to be investigated. Well some difference(hysteresis) is allowed but I don't know the number for your machine/control. It is a very small amount though. Maybe even less than the nominal accuracy of a typical dash tach.

Papa Smurf- About all I can say is that the governor has always maintained a very tight range of rpm's during flight no matter what I am doing, close to 61500. Plus or minus 200 rpm. That's only around 0.33 percent. The only time it faultered was when I was asking the machine to deliver more than it could. I will still do max performance takeoffs, but not over max. Stan

Although I do not like the fuel shut-off without my control, the real problem that caused this cascade of events is the belt slippage around the small driver sheave. The engine had sufficient power and was working correctly until its torque was greater than the belt fiction. If these belts are not "X" type I would probably make it so.

I would also want a panel warning light to come on before the fuel flow caused enough torque to cause belt slippage. To give adequate warning, I think it would be wise to add a small N.O. limit switch, set to close when the governor opened the fuel control valve far enough….and before there was any belt slippage. The bright panel light would tell the pilot to lower the collective a bit.....

I think this thread has gone full circle, and I feel there was nothing that the machine did to let me down. This is the last time here I am going to repeat myself, I totally let euphoria run my collective control. We all have had "dumb ass" moments, and that moment was mine. I feel I don't have very many of those moments, and I sure won't repeat this one. I feel I was given the chance to redeem myself, and that I did. I am waiting for my MFS coming configured for NO . This had nothing to do with this flameout a week ago, but is number 1 priority to almost completely prevent another flameout due to. MFS or power running it failure. Thanks for all the comments$ Sure did get a variety. Stan

Ed, I wold think that I would rather have a belt slip than have gearbox failure due to over torque.

I believe frank Robinson once said, it is not that went over limit, but how many times, that you did not know.

In other words it is better to prevent the over torque in the beginning than to have it come back at you in a bigger way later. Possibly a gearbox seizure, maybe!

The real point I was trying to make is that anyone pulling collective could have this belt slippage problem unless they knew when to stop. It is not the pilots fault and it is not the machine's fault….yet it can and possibly will happen again without some "warning" that no more torque/collective should be used. I think it is commendable that Stan is taking the blame for this incident….but that isn't going to prevent someone else from doing the same thing without a good idea where they should stop pulling. I won't say more about this since it appears to be a sore point....

I think this thread has gone full circle, and I feel there was nothing that the machine did to let me down. Stan

Stan

From your very first post I understood that your helicopter worked exactly as designed and it was the pilot who went past the limits.

Honesty and aviation should go hand in hand. Our lives depend on it.

A person who implicates himself can be trusted that the remainder of what he says is trustworthy.

Excellent helicopters can be found here and there. Extremely honest men are not found as often.

Thank you for those lessons.

Arnie.

Now that is a courteous commiseration.

'He fell with style.' I like that. :)

Lakishap- "fell with style", I like that. Let me finish that........
" fell with style and landed with flare. I will accept that! Stan

Latest updates- I have learned a few things from analyzing my video, and reliving the still vivid memories of that flameout. One thing that fits the puzzle together about what happened was explained to me today by Blake. Blake had another checkout pilot call him inquiring about my details leading up to this incident. This other pilot had a similar thing happen to him, except his didn't quite hit the overspeed to shut it down. After it was verified that my belts were at the proper tension, I had just checked them, then other clues fell in line. It was 80 degrees that day, I am max weight for a pilot, I had topped the tanks off, and was pushing the envelope asking the turbine to deliver more power than the fuel limits were set to. Blake explained to me that my fuel control was more than likely at its stops, and I was simply pulling the turbine down. I was busy watching the rotor rpm,s and they were slowing down indicating either belt slippage, turbine bogging down, or both. Then when I abruptly released some of the collective, the turbine just sped up from no load. Hindsight. Teaches me that should I find my rotor rpm's lowering, to more gently ease off the collective. Abrupt dropping of the collective is good for engine outs, but not for pull downs. I will definately remember this, but I bet I will NEVER over collective this helicopter again. I mean it has plenty of performance anyway. My main fuel solenoid has been reconfigured to NO, and is being shipped tomorrow. I have grounded my machine until that has been changed, even though it had nothing to do with this flameout. I want it to fail safe, and I am just trying to prevent a future auto. Stan

@Mark, Thanks for the link, I had missed it!!!