Flying this week from Hawthorne CA to Napa CA - any advice?

bartobrien

Monarch Gyro Owner
Aircraft
Monarch Butterfly 582
Total Flight Time
I have been flying gyros for a little over 3 years and own a 65hp Monarch Butterfly single seater. I purchased a 914 MTO Free from AutoGyro through Chris Lord about 2 weeks before his death. He had given me my practical test in the MTO Free as part of the demonstration flight. The gyro was shipped to Hawthorne, where this great guy Henry Boger has an AutoGyro dealership for some minor work.

My wife and I are planning to drive to Hawthorne tomorrow and tuesday to start flying the MTO Free back to Napa. Think I will make it a 3 day trip so I have plenty of time to look around in the cities I pass on the way. Has anyone made this trip and does anyone have any advice or suggestions for me?

I've not flown that path for over 30 years so much has changed.
But the most scenic route if to fly the coast it is spectacular. I think I've only flown the interior route once or twice when I as in a major hurry.
Fly the coastline until you get to San Jose then fly inland to Merced Municipal = Macready Field (MCE) for fuel and lunch from there a little east and fly over Yosemite Valley and then south again flying over Sequoia and Kings National Park
From there back to the coast and to Modona Inn landing at San Luis Obispo County (SBP) and uber there and spend the night in one of their theme rooms if you have not been before.
From there to Santa Ynez (SQA) and Visit Solvang the Dutch village and have an Aebleskiver a round pancake and from there back to the coastline to the destination.

That is one of the most different landscapes and scenic flight paths in the USA!

I have made a similar trip often.

How you manage the complex airspace of LAX and SFO is important.

I would stay off any of the mini routes because of traffic.

Get a Los Angles and a San Francisco terminal area chart.

I follow the freeways and have a waypoint every five miles.

I have flown the coast from Santa Monica but they won’t always let you do that. I usually head down to the coast at El Monte to Whitman to Santa Paula.

I prefer going up highway 101 as far as Salinas and then going up the east bay to going up Interstate Five.

There will be a lot of radio work. I like to have the frequencies on my flight plan and stay one frequency ahead. It is better to change frequencies when you have the time. Most radios will allow you to preset the frequencies you will need.

You will probably be flying too low to get radar services past San Luis Obispo.

The weather challenges are fog in the morning and wind in the afternoon.

Be sure your transponder has been certified within the last 24 months and your paperwork is up to date for condition inspection, registration and airworthiness. You are required to carry your EAB operating limitations and weight and balance.

I would be happy to review your flight plan. You can plan on Skyvector and email it to me. [email protected] or call me at (805)680-9523. Evening is the best time to reach me. I am training all day today June 10 and most of the week.

If you want the ultimate $100 hamburger, stop at Harris Ranch, near Coalinga. Runway, fuel, and steaks all at the same place. I don't eat red meat, but others says it is terrific.

If you want the ultimate $100 hamburger, stop at Harris Ranch, near Coalinga. Runway, fuel, and steaks all at the same place. I don't eat red meat, but others says it is terrific.
That is true!!!

Peter Kalev is flying his AR-1 up from LA next Thursday to meet us at Byron (just below Napa) before headed over the mountain to Livermore for the AOPA event. You guys could fly up together if you haven't already left.

Last edited:
I've not flown that path for over 30 years so much has changed.
But the most scenic route if to fly the coast it is spectacular. I think I've only flown the interior route once or twice when I as in a major hurry.
Fly the coastline until you get to San Jose then fly inland to Merced Municipal = Macready Field (MCE) for fuel and lunch from there a little east and fly over Yosemite Valley and then south again flying over Sequoia and Kings National Park
From there back to the coast and to Modona Inn landing at San Luis Obispo County (SBP) and uber there and spend the night in one of their theme rooms if you have not been before.
From there to Santa Ynez (SQA) and Visit Solvang the Dutch village and have an Aebleskiver a round pancake and from there back to the coastline to the destination.

Thanks to you and everyone else who replied. I can report I have had two great days of flying. Weather is a big issue now so typically can’t leave until 2 pm. Hawthorne to Santa Ynez was spectacular. Did the special rules VHF corridor transitioning N over the LAX runways at 4500’. Then had to avoid the coastal fog and flew over the mountains at 6,000 ft. Air was calm and the views breathtaking. Then left today around 1:30 and flew to King City. Strong headwinds of 25 mph. Landed due to bladder pressure and then wasn’t sure I wanted to take off in 20+ mph winds. Waited an hour for the winds to calm down - which they didn’t - so I decided to brave the winds. When I was warming up the engine, the winds were gusting to 25 mph. But they were coming straight down the runway, so it turned out not to be an issue. I climbed to 4,000 ft. to get out of the coastal wind. Then Salinas went IFR but fortunately the tower gave me permission to come in. So will fly inland tomorrow to avoid the coastal fog and skirt the eastern side of the major airports and return to Napa. Only 101 NM to go.

and Visit Solvang the Dutch village and have an Aebleskiver
Hi John.
Just a correction: Solvang is a plastic kitsch version of a Danish village.
Brien, nice trip. In the coming years I plan on doing some of my own.
Cheers
Erik

Hi John.
Just a correction: Solvang is a plastic kitsch version of a Danish village.
Brien, nice trip. In the coming years I plan on doing some of my own.
Cheers
Erik
True but my girls love it and I enjoy Aebleskivers.

John,
nothing wrong with that, I enjoy æbleskiver myself (although they don't contain any apples).
It's just not DUTCH, but DANISH. That was my point. You should come visit - I live on a very special
Danish island named Bornholm. This small island has all the types of terrain found in scandinaia.
Going anywhere else is an expensive pain, but we feel very fortunate living here.
Cheers
Erik

Brien: That's just like reading the merits of Vance...nice.

John,
nothing wrong with that, I enjoy æbleskiver myself (although they don't contain any apples).
It's just not DUTCH, but DANISH. That was my point. You should come visit - I live on a very special
Danish island named Bornholm. This small island has all the types of terrain found in scandinaia.
Going anywhere else is an expensive pain, but we feel very fortunate living here.
Cheers
Erik

Brien: That's just like reading the merits of Vance...nice.
You're in trouble now Erik...
I've got an invitation and I love to travel....

John, you're welcome.
I'll drive you around the island and show you the sights.
Also treat you to some (more or less) local dishes.

Cheers
Erik

God, it is so good to have friends!!! Thank you Erik!!!

6 eggs, 1 tsp. sugar, 1 cup milk, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1-1/2 cups flour.
Separate yolks and egg whites, beat eggs yolks well, add sugar and milk, then sifted dry ingredients. Add stiffly beaten egg whites and bake.
Heat ebleskive pan, put one tsp. melted butter in each hole, then fill half full with batter. When light brown, turn with fork and brown other side. Cooked apples may be put on top of batter before turning to brown other side.
Oh, by the way I'm Scandinavian!

Well, I'll save this but never have the time to cook. Ever!!

You probably don't have a ebleskiver pan anyway!

You probably don't have a ebleskiver pan anyway!
Bro I did go look for them here. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=aebleskivers+pan+cast+iron&crid=SLKBLJC92ITS&sprefix=Aebleskivers,aps,219&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_12
So I may end up cooking. I do cook at the beach and the mountains. I eat out, fast, no mess to clean up and they cook better than I do.

However, I remember them at the restaurant as having a top and they turned it over to make them round not using a fork. Your description and these 1/2 pans do match my memory or know how you make them round as they did in 1/2 round pan??