Flying the Kite, airplanes grounded

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
Here's a video my Grandson uploaded and edited for me. Hope you guys can get a few kicks from it. Thanks to Bob Trout for being there when the winds blew. No planes were flying at this normally very "busy" tower controlled airport, KFDK, just outside the DC SFRA. Too gusty and windy for most of them. Not the Gyro Kite.

Thanks Chris. I know that you loved the free flying a lot!

Someone asked what I was doing with my left hand? Answer, "holding on".!!!! Rudder is not necessary and could be locked down. It will kite downwind of the stake and using the cyclic, you can move left and right perhaps 30 degrees each way easily and control your height of course. You must be ready should the wind "quit" suddenly. That will likely "plunk" you down rather quickly. Wind needs to be about 22 mph minimum but 30 and steady is best.

Did you open for ToadTheWetSprocket in Providence last year? I might have been there . . . these things all blur together.

Looks to me like the gyro kite could use a good rotor brake.

Just waited until about 40 rrpm and then just patted it down. No trouble, long as you don’t have some sharp cotter pins up there that can “grab” the hand. No “rings” policy for sure. The Army had that right. It was important to get it slowed down quickly from 40 as the rotor will become limber and unmanageable.

Last edited:
Besides WaspAir, adding a "rotor brake" would violate the primary directive,.... K-I-S-S,.... Keep it simple silly.!!!

I have a person that posted to me on YouTube, "GyroKite". He is looking for the plans to the B-8 Glider. Anyone have a link to them? I have a set for the K-B2 and I know they are nearly identical.

Has anyone posted the B8G plans? Would like a link if you have. Much appreciated.

Hey Stan, not like getting combat, “heavy metal” turbine time. However, Kiting does rank way up there in the fun flying category. Aren’t you glad you have your “turbine time”

Chris,

I live in an area with access to various hills and mountains around me. Numerous times through the year, we will have wind events that sustain at 25 - 35 knots in speed with gust up to 60+ knots.

I've entertained the idea of taking a Bensen B8 airframe and build an "on the point" trainer with a smaller rotor disk (perhaps 16' in diameter) that will sit atop a universal joint near the center of gravity. The trainer will not be able to lift off the ground and "kite" but will be ale to "fly" on top of the U-joint, providing the student the ability to develop the required "muscle memory" in regards to cyclic input to "fly" steady and stable.

I know Bensen did experiment with the "on-the-point" trainer concept, however that idea has been lost over time.

Wayne

PRA Chaper One gyro-glider "Kiting" on El Mirage Dry Lakebed during one windy day event that is common in the High Desert of SoCal.

Wayne

The Bensen B8 Gyro Glier plans are on the PRA website members section.

If these are what you are what you are after and connot acquire them let me know. I will see what I can do.
That link worked yesterday, but not today anymore it seems. I am getting a page that says “ PRA moved to a new hosting service. Any new link to this downloadable plans page please ? Many thanks,
Woody

Here's a video my Grandson uploaded and edited for me. Hope you guys can get a few kicks from it. Thanks to Bob Trout for being there when the winds blew. No planes were flying at this normally very "busy" tower controlled airport, KFDK, just outside the DC SFRA. Too gusty and windy for most of them. Not the Gyro Kite.

Chris - Is that actually "you" flying the Gyro-Kite in the clip in the opening post?