Flying out of your Backyard

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Here is an interesting link from a member of Sky Tec Dan G flying from his back yard. It is very interesting how he prerotated and then went down the hill. \\

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33Wyr4yvaTA&NR\\

Looks like this might be a duplicate video from Sky Tec. But its all good. enjoy

Last edited:
What makes this soo interesting is : We had a story this last summer where a guy built an Ultralight gyro and since he was living in a planned community there were no wires. So he took off from his street and flew around Little Rock. A class B zone. When he landed the police picked him up and took his gyro. I don't know what came of it but it didi make the news around here. The FAA got involved also. Now how can we get a gyro in every garage when you can't take off anywhere in a class B airspace?

Ultralights can't fly in Class "B" airspace. Properly equipped, EAB & ELSA aircraft can (after the phase one time is flown off)

I flew my ultralight gyro along with 18 other ultralights under Class B airspace.

But we had a waiver to do so. We had to follow a specific route, stay below a certain altitude. Had to have the group leader maintan radio contact. And since we were close to lake Michigan each aircraft had to have a floatation device. And the waiver was good for one day only.

I spent my teens at my father's home in Okeechobee, his back yard is 5,240ft long. The largest thing we flew out of it was a Junkers JU-52. The owner named it Iron Annie.

I flew my Rally IIIB from the street in my trailer court, but it was out in the country and all the neighbors just waited to see the crash. (It didn't come)