Flying my gyro on the History Channel

Tina

Total Flight Time
400+ FW 100+ GYRO
I had my interview yesterday with the History Channel and all went well, I think. I went over every thing I was to talk about with the producer before the shoot but when they said ACTION! I was tongue tied and forgot what I was to talk about but they said I did fine and can use some of it for the show, they can edit out all the bad stuff :lol:

The best part was them filming me when flying down the runway. I always get footage of other people flying and no one has ever gotten a good shoot of me flying but this day it was my turn. I had a professional cameraman taking footage of me flying with a camera that cost as much as my Corvette. Now who can ask for more :D

It was funny to watch this cameraman take footage of me flying, he went right up to the runway and on it at times. There was other people in the pattern and my Dad would radio them to watch out for the cameraman on the runway that is taking pictures of Tina in her gyro. I did 2 fly bys and then one landing to a full stop. My Dad said to me land on the numbers and this was my chance to do that spot landing that I have been practicing. Well I made it but was kind of short and made the gyro glide a little longer then I should have and lost some airspeed and bounced it in. It wasn't to bad but not one of my best landing I would say.

The show is called Shock Wave and should be airing in 6 weeks. I am to call the producer in two weeks to find out for sure on the date.

I have to say life is good every since I got into gyros ;)

I will keep you all posted of the date and time.

Attachments

• HC1.JPG
    HC1.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 0
  • HC2.JPG
    HC2.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 0
  • HC3.JPG
    HC3.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 0
  • HC5.jpg
    HC5.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HC6.jpg
    HC6.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Great News Tina!
And excellent job!!!!

Nice job, Tina!

Keep us posted. I'm gonna record that show.

Tina: You are a big plus to rotorcraft! Way to go and a big high 5!

Stan

I just found out the show will air August 8th. Here is a link to the show Shockwave.

http://www.history.com/minisites/shockwave/

I asked the producer if I can have a copy of the hole footage of me flying that they took and he said yes, after the show airs. They will also send me a copy of the show.

He said I can not use the footage of me flying for making any money from. I then asked if I can put it on Youtube and he said I will have to get back to you on that :rolleyes:

Lets Hope For The Best

Lets Hope For The Best

Here is the sites description of the shows:

Shockwave takes you beyond the visual sensation of traumatic events and explores the science of what went wrong

That understood, lets hope they portray Gyros as something positive and not a pastime for kooks and suicidals.... however I keep remembering the axiom in news of If It Bleeds, It Leads. I hope there is some balance.

Fiveboy

:phone:The History Channel called me today said the show was moved back to August 15th.

I will put in another reminder to you all a few days prior to the shows airing :typing:

Women in gyros?

Women in gyros?

My girlfriend is really curious how many women fly gyros.

IMHO, Tina you are the Danica Patrick of the Gyro world.

Congratulations

My girlfriend is really curious how many women fly gyros.

IMHO, Tina you are the Danica Patrick of the Gyro world.

Congratulations

That is a good question. I only know of 4 of us but maybe there is more?

Marion Springer
Kelly Vanek
Britta Penca
Tina Tyler

Can anyone add to this list?

Last edited:
Freud would posit it has something to do with the stick----?
Then again he always had a cigar in his mouth.

Fiveboy

I think there is very few women flying gyros because most have kids and that would be very selfish to risk your life for fun when you have other people depending on you for their will being.

I can tell you I would not be flying a gyro if I had kids, simple as that!

Tina men have kids too! Are you saying that Moms are more important or that men are just more selfish.... ok I already know that answer! Yes to both. LoL

Fiveboy

Can anyone add to this list?

Lisa Magni. In fact, she sponsors a womens' gyro-pilots club (which I don't think does anything, but you ladies can join!) called the Pink Ladies.

http://www.magnigyro.com/English/pinkladies.htm

I know several women who've expressed interest in flying gyros, including one who can take or leave f/w flying but finds rotorcraft irresistible. They tend to be the kinds of women who like outdoor fun activities in general. Most women fixed-wing pilots don't seem that interested, from where I sit. (Women are a very small minority of pilots, and women pilots are more likely than men to be professional pilots rather than fun flyers).

I think we need more gyro pilots period, and if more of them are ladies, so much the better. Wouldn't it be nice if we couldn't even think of being able to list them all?

cheers

-=K=-

Great, I can add to the list:

Marion Springer
Jennifer Vanek
Britta Penca
Tina Tyler
Shirley in England
Cathy Greenes
Lisa Magni
Mrs DeGraw

Any more names out there?