Flying from Tampa to Oshkosh in Apollo AG1

Abid

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 560 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes. Pilot Airplane
Hi All:
We are flying tomorrow from Tampa to North Carolina in two trikes and Apollo AG-1. There is a front and system around so hope we can make it to deliver a trike to a customer.
We plan to continue after a night's stay to Chicago and then Oshkosh where we will be in the UL area, booth 909 (UL 909). Please come and say hi.

Here is the plan for tomorrow if weather permits. Some are just way points, there are total of 4 stops
http://skyvector.com/?ll=30.3889872....KOGB:A.K7.KMMT:A.K7.KPYG:A.K7.KEXX:A.K7.6NC8

Abid and Greg- Have a safe flight and I am looking forward to having you two stop by my place on the way to Mentone.

Stan

In Camden, SC. Just 100 miles shy of our destination in NC but the squall line parked itself between here and Greensboro. 18 knot winds last two airports with 98 F on the ground. As expected in July in the South at 2 to 3 pm in the afternoon.
Forgot about the camera

And yes both the trikes and gyro handled the conditions fine.

Attachments

• Oshkosh-2014-SC-stop-Gusting.jpg
    Oshkosh-2014-SC-stop-Gusting.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Oshkosh-2014-SC-stop-Woodward-Field.jpg
    Oshkosh-2014-SC-stop-Woodward-Field.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Weather conditions are little unstable around here . Y'all should have dropped in on Barry k.
At Anson co. (KAFP) nice friendly airport . Have a safe trip. See you at Oshkosh :)

I was thinking of calling brother Barry K but the squall line caught us before we made it there. :sad:

Stan,
it looks like we'll be hanging out with for a few days coming and going :peace:

Greg- I wont have any free time before Osh Kosh .....but am freeing up a day after Oshkosh to have you and Abid stop by. We have some projects with the grandkids next week.

Looking forward to you stopping by either Monday or Tuesday the first week of August.

Stan

Great more grand adventures!!!

Post pictures please?

Greg- I hope you read this in time! A friend of mine whom Abid knows....Curt Schoaf just called me saying he heard you were stopping in Paxton tonight. My wife and I are partying with 3 of our grandkids today and tonight. We won't be around on Saturday or Sunday either. That's why I mentioned coming to Paxton after OshKosh.

If you do land in Paxton, its just a short 1/2 mile walk to the motel to the east of the airport. I would gladly drive you there and pick you up as needed.....if....I weren't gone!

Hope to still see you after OshKosh.

Stan

Anson county detour no sign of Barry

Attachments

• 1406305008013.jpg
    1406305008013.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 0
Greg,
Let me know when youre coming back through Anson County...I'll cook ya some grub and put ya up for the night if youre all tuckered out!

Barry

This is SOO COOL! Love this thread

Looking good.

How does the fuel burn compare between the AG and the DJ?

Airspeed?

Gyro burns more at same speed of course. Probably between 15 to 20 percent more. The best glide ratio in DJ-II Trije is 9.5:1 and that tells the whole story.

Low ceilings today but we flew over to 6NC8. Staying here for the night and delivered the trike to Papa Tango Aviation. Todd Halver. Runway right outside the door. 2500 foot grass strip. I gave him a familiarity flight in his trike. 180 foot takeoff with me and him and 10 gallons of fuel. Also hot a few people up in the gyroplane. Supposedly a couple of hydroplanes based at a nearby airport but according to locals they don't fly much.

I was able able to contact Greg Spicola. Seems my friend that called me heard wrong. Greg and the fleet are to arrive in Paxton Sunday evening. They are coming to my stairshop for a tour......and if they would like to go to my gun range....we could vent off a few rounds at some targets!

Greg......my dad is 93....and would it be possible for a quick flight for him to see his beautiful crops that I keep telling him he has? I haven't mentioned it to him yet if this is possible....as he gets all anxious. Its better to just surprise him with stuff like this.

He is getting old and had an incident with his tractor yesterday. Had it nose down in a ditch.....and was out in the middle of the boonies for 2 hours. He was trying to walk out to civilization......and finally called me with his cell phone. He barely could remember how to dial it. I found him resting on a mound of dirt along the ditch bank, and had to help him into my truck. He is ok....but it makes me realize he is slipping in health.

He is not the type to take the keys away from him. That would finish him off.....so we just let him live as he always has.....independent as heck. I am the chip off the ol block also.

Looking forward to seeing you on Monday.