Flying doesn't come easy!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Aviation does not come easy.

I have a client in his 70s who is a successful businessman and understands customer service.

A knee replacement and a son’s accident have disrupted his training.

He is from around 1,100 miles away so getting his aircraft and himself to Santa Maria, CA is not simple or cheap.

He purchased his aircraft a couple of months ago and imagined the registration was not time critical particularly in relation to his other challenges. The FAA has canceled the registration and the aircraft is not airworthy until it has a current registration. All my aviation certificates are a risk if I fly an aircraft without all the correct paperwork. I suspect it will take about four weeks for the application to reach the top of the stack of applications; perhaps longer because of COVID 19.

We found a hangar at the Santa Maria Public Airport (KSMX) shared with another client of mine and before he left to deal with his son’s injury he applied for a security pass from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA). KSMX has scheduled airlines so it is a higher level of TSA security than an airport without scheduled airlines.

The airport personnel called him when it arrived and told him it would be waiting for him when he returned. At that time the return date was unknown. Now it turns out the airport personnel can only keep the pass for thirty days and it has been destroyed and he needs to reapply. His passport is back home so until it arrives, he reapplies and the airport finishes the paperwork I have to let him in the gate so he can work on his aircraft. Another pilot cannot let him through the gate because he does not have a pilot certificate. I can because I have a copy of his passport but my copy will not suffice for the airport personnel and I am responsible for him after I let him in. I live about a twenty five minute drive from the airport.

If someone lets him through the gate without seeing a pilot certificate they are subject to a $10,000 fine.

As a flight instructor I take a course once a year on the latest TSA procedures so I am expected to comply with TSA on a higher level that a typical general aviation pilot.

On a happier note we had a very successful mission yesterday with some important lessons learned and some useful video to reinforce the lessons.

We have a complex strategy for managing his hearing challenges that seems to be working. It is something I have been researching and working on for several months. It would not work for everyone but it is working for him.

Attachments

• GH010687_Moment.jpg
    GH010687_Moment.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 23

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Vance you are a particularly sympathetic/empathetic human being.

You have dealt with obstacles throughout life, as they come. You cope with, have coped with various setbacks, and just get on with doing what needs to be done.

You see the positives, instead for searching for the negatives.

Little comes easy, lots comes with a little effort, some pain. That’s life.

Been a pleasure to meet you, and occasionally, just to say hello. :)

Applaud your efforts in your instruction.

ultracruiser41

Gold Member
Aircraft
Cavalon, OutBack Tango, Ryan PT 22, JetGyro, Jet Provost, Champ, Radial Rocket Gyro, HummelBird
Total Flight Time
Too many to count
Outstanding!! 😃

Sv.grainne

I'm finding that the bureaucracy is reasonable so far. Studied for and took my sport pilot ex, applied for and received IACRA credentials, then applied for and received studentent pilot certificate. Applied for and received LODA in what I thought was record time and got the registration certificate for my kit build gyro. Now if I could get my kit!

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Reads like you are on a roll Bobby Ward.

Passing your knowledge test early saves a lot of ground instruction time.

Your instructor will still have to go over the questions you missed and log that in the ground portion of your log book.

Passing your knowledge test early saves a lot of ground instruction time.

Your instructor will still have to go over the questions you missed and log that in the ground portion of your log book.

Most people have some bumps along the way.

A great conversation starter with most pilots is; “tell me about your first solo cross country."

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Agree that FAA isn't usually too bad, Bobby. TSA is a whole "nother" animal.
What's the hold-up with the kit?

Sv.grainne

Pretty much done, some mods to the rotor head being tested this weekend. Hope to have final issues resolved in the coming week then will have the kit shipped air freight.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
A good video explaining the latest FAA madness with AC 61-42 ... LODA's needed for everyone giving(even for "free") or receiving ( ie owners) flight training in their limited, experimental, primary aircraft!

and the earlier commentary on the subject!

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
In my opinion this is not as insidious as some make it out to be.

For years there has been poor language in many of the Federal Aviation Regulations and people have sort of winked because they understood the intent and the legal department would issue opinions based on the intent.

A judge outside of the FAA recognized a particular case of inappropriate language combined with convoluted logic and pointed out the error by issuing an opinion.

I feel the judge was correct in his opinion, the judgment concluded that Warbird Adventures was operating a limited category aircraft for compensated flight training without a required exemption.

The language on flight instruction has long been confusing and convoluted with patches on patches to give it the intended meaning.

The FAA has a lot of work to do to and they move slowly and often in more than one direction.

In my opinion the new easy Letter of Deviation Authority (LODA) process is a step in a good direction.

There are those in the FAA who wish all experimental aircraft would just go away.

I have confidence this will all get worked out.

As it stands now; if you want to receive flight training or a flight review in your experimental aircraft you need to have a letter of deviation authority.

It doesn’t take long and is a simple process unlike the LODA process I went through to give instruction in The Predator.

Attachments

• 1s.jpg
    1s.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
If large numbers of LODA's (one per aircraft) will now be issued, that suggests that the reg the FAA is allowing "deviation" from is not serving the public's needs and wishes.

To exaggerate just a bit, it's as if the DMV banned all private automobiles, but would issue an "easy to obtain" LODA to each car buyer who wanted one. It's perverse to ban a thing that so many people want, and then make lots of "exceptions."

The FAA should at least be working on a formal regulation that creates a reasonable procedure for conducting instruction in Experimentals, warbirds and such. If (as is likely) the regulators feel that these aircraft are less safe than Cessna 152's and the like, then perhaps a written warning to this effect, and a signed liability waiver, could be prerequisites under the rule.

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
To my thinking, the CFI is charging based on there instructor certificate. It does not matter what the aircraft is categorized as. It has already been established that the CFI does not necessarily need a commercial certificate, as they are billing on their CFI certificate.

The student, whether brand new or ATP rated does not make a difference as they are the paying the instructor. i.E they are not being compensated. They are the end buyer.

The fuss is about whether one can charge for or share expenses on an experimental, or limited category aircraft. At present, the procedure was to obtain a LODA, Letter Of Deviation Authority, which allowed an experimental or limited category aircraft to be used for flight training in aircraft categories that would not be allowed otherwise. They could not used for rental, only flight training.

Which makes one wonder, under which provision was the P47 operating under that a FAA representative did not like. With the judges ruling not be available for review, it is difficult to understand under what basis the decision was rendered, and what are the total far reaching consequenses that are yet to be announced.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
To my thinking, the CFI is charging based on there instructor certificate. It does not matter what the aircraft is categorized as. It has already been established that the CFI does not necessarily need a commercial certificate, as they are billing on their CFI certificate.
My CFI certificate says on it "VALID ONLY WHEN ACCOMPANIED BY PILOT CERTIFICATE NO. xxxxxxx" which is my Commercial certificate. I was required to hold one to get the other.

The theory used to be that a CFI giving instruction to a rated pilot who is qualified to be PIC (such as for a flight review, advanced training such as acro, checking out in a new model; etc) didn't need a medical certificate because the compensation was for instruction, not piloting. Similarly, if the instruction was to someone not qualified to be PIC, only a third class medical was necessary (again, not charging for piloting but for instructing). Under the FAA's new approach, if you're considered to be carrying a person for hire while instructing (as viewed by the court in the Warbirds case), then you need at least a second class medical for either operation, and that applies to all aircraft, certified, experimental, or anything else.