Flying Car

DavePA11

Brian - good point. Probably right to leave asap for health concerns. It was small company manufacturing epoxy.

XXavier

Aircraft
ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
628 gyro (Sept. 2020)
Hi folks..

OSHA and NTSB will have something to say about exposed rotating blades...

Flying knives?

Even at 10 feet, ducts will be needed, add weight, but it will be necessary.

Curtis
Propellers are exposed rotating blades, and no ducts or protections are used on them... To say nothing of rotors, that sometimes cut heads and arms...

curtisscholl

Aircraft
Building Gyrobee
Total Flight Time
60+
Propellers are exposed rotating blades, and no ducts or protections are used on them... To say nothing of rotors, that sometimes cut heads and arms...
Rebuttal...

1. The Flying car cannot be considered an aircraft it it cannot get above 10 feet. It would be a slaughter if it were used on today's roads.

2. If the intent of staying low is to use current roadways, the NTSB and OSHA will have something to say about it.

3. If it is supposed to be a "Jetson" vehicle, then I would agree with your assessment of and only if the altitudes travelled were at aircraft altitudes and routes helicopters would use.

But that current proof of concept vehicle is not ready for prime time just yet. Along with other limitations seen thus far it is a nice toy to play with until the craft can get above the current height limitation.

I would still want ducting to protect ground support personnel on this craft particularly. "Clear prop" may not be enough warning.Just my $.02

XXavier

Aircraft
ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
628 gyro (Sept. 2020)
Rebuttal...

1. The Flying car cannot be considered an aircraft it it cannot get above 10 feet. It would be a slaughter if it were used on today's roads.

2. If the intent of staying low is to use current roadways, the NTSB and OSHA will have something to say about it.

3. If it is supposed to be a "Jetson" vehicle, then I would agree with your assessment of and only if the altitudes travelled were at aircraft altitudes and routes helicopters would use.

But that current proof of concept vehicle is not ready for prime time just yet. Along with other limitations seen thus far it is a nice toy to play with until the craft can get above the current height limitation.

I would still want ducting to protect ground support personnel on this craft particularly. "Clear prop" may not be enough warning.Just my $.02
Times have changed... Today, people are squeamish and risk-averse... Not so in 1914...

Captura de pantalla 2020-09-02 a las 13.44.42.png

Last edited:

DavePA11

I always had to watch for people coming up to see my gryo before the rotors were stopped, and couldn’t see behind me. So Would always wait until taxing near hanger until rotors were stopped. The airport was essentially a grass strip where anyone could walk up to the hanger.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Right here In our gyro world, I can think of several people who were either killed or maimed by rotor blades or props.

The appropriate standard of safety for a product to be used in a consumer/civilian environment is quite different from that for a product to be used by experts, test pilots, warriors and other Right-Stuff folk.

bugflyer

Bugflyer
Aircraft
owned C-205, Titan Tornado II, flown C150s, PA-140s, PA-18, R-22. R-44, 1 hour in P51C
Total Flight Time
What are the chances this will be affordable to the commoners.

None whatsoever.
However...if you haven't seen this, take a look.

smiles,
Charles

Martin W.

What are the chances this will be affordable to the commoners.

Looks impressive until the fine print reveals there is no pilot on board , let alone the 5 passengers it claims to hold , so what we have so far is an oversize drone which recently burned in an electrical fire .