Flying Car Progress

kolibri282

The Terrafugia has just completed a first flight between two airports of 35 minutes duration.

https://www.risingkashmir.com/Flyin...tory--completes-first-inter-city-flight-69397

In the text below we find the information that:
"In the US, the Federal Aviation Administration recently granted Terrafugia's roadable airplane a special certificate in the light sport category (S-LSA), making it legal for flight."
https://www.engadget.com/aircar-first-inter-city-flight-092852060.html

It seems they have solved all technical problems so let's keep our fingers crossed they also clear all bureaucratic hurdles to obtain air and road certification!

Last edited:

bugflyer

Bugflyer
Aircraft
owned C-205, Titan Tornado II,1 hour in P51C, 1 hour in Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
The Terrafugia has just completed a first flight between two airports of 35 minutes duration.

https://www.risingkashmir.com/Flyin...tory--completes-first-inter-city-flight-69397

In the text below we find the information that:
"In the US, the Federal Aviation Administration recently granted Terrafugia's roadable airplane a special certificate in the light sport category (S-LSA), making it legal for flight."
https://www.engadget.com/aircar-first-inter-city-flight-092852060.html

It seems they have solved all technical problems so let's keep our fingers crossed they also clear all bureaucratic hurdles to obtain air and road certification!
That's not Terrafugia

smiles,
Charles

okikuma

As an automobile, the vehicle will need to meet the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) safety regulations, Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) emissions standards, and the more strict State of California emissions standards to be able to be licensed in all 50 states.

Wayne

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
700 hours
Still waiting on a design that could compete commercially and practically at each level with existing aircraft and existing automobile designs. Too many compromises have to be made. Even seaplanes are a poor substitute for a good boat for the same reason.

Hydro Pilot

Aircraft
Single seat dominator
Total Flight Time
230 Hrs
Every flying car I've seen needs an airport for takeoff and an airport for landing. What are the odds of commuters having those near their source and destination AND allow you to drive on and off the runways? What scares me though is the way the FAA tends to bend with public opinion over safety as they have done with things like drone delivery. I can forsee the day when you won't need a pilot license for a flying car much like you don't need a license to drive a boat. Just buy and fly.

chrisk

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Magni M24, Turbo Mooney 231
Total Flight Time
Every flying car I've seen needs an airport for takeoff and an airport for landing. What are the odds of commuters having those near their source and destination AND allow you to drive on and off the runways? What scares me though is the way the FAA tends to bend with public opinion over safety as they have done with things like drone delivery. I can forsee the day when you won't need a pilot license for a flying car much like you don't need a license to drive a boat. Just buy and fly.
A flying car solves the last mile problem. That said, I'd be afraid of door dings.

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Amphicars are pretty cool. But they weren't made for very long.
I love the stories of owners driving them down a boat ramp while folks were screaming at them to STOP!!
Then there are the one-offs :cool:

Attachments

• nautilimo.jpg
    nautilimo.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Like crossing a violin with a jackhammer. The two devices (car and airplane) have such wildly different needs that the inevitable compromises cut very deeply.

A car must be robust enough to protect the occupants in crashes. Cars operate very close together, with frequent hard stops and speed changes, sharp turns and closing speeds of 140 mph or better (2 x 70 mph). A featherweight car doesn't stand a snowball's chance in a collision with a 3-ton SUV, such as those driven by millions of soccer moms and dads.

Aircraft, frankly, have barely any crash protection compared to cars. They can't afford the weight. They don't -- and don't need to -- corner or stop very well. Their suspensions and steering mechanisms are primitive compared even to the simplest car. Which is fine for the little surface operation they need to do.

George Carlin asked us to recall how stupid the average guy is, and then to consider the fact that half of the population is stupider than that. A bit harsh, maybe, but the level of competence I see on the road is scary enough without giving these same people airplanes.

Perhaps the price will limit the number of these hybrids out there.