Flying Adventures to Mexico and Border Crossing Procedures

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Airgyro AG915 Centurian, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Gyroplane 70Hrs, not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
"Flying Adventures to Mexico and Border Crossing Procedures"
Topic: Paul Kortopates will speak about flying in Mexico including border crossing procedures.
On Thursday, November 3, 2022 at 18:30 Pacific Daylight Time
4200 Ruffin Road
Titan Conference Room
San Diego, CA 92123
Select Number:
WP09117291
Description:
See instructions below for new security procedures for all attendees.​
Join us to hear Paul Kortopates, Lead FAASTeam Rep, CFI-I, A&P/IA, Miramar College Aviation Instructor and GA pilot for over 30 years. He'll speak about the many flying adventures awaiting any pilot flying south of the border. He'll cover the details, using a fun example of a long weekend trip to pet the California Gray Whales this winter at any of 3 lagoons in Baja - a truly novel experience. Flying south is very different from flying in the US with unexpected risks and pitfalls; especially complying with US and Mexican cross border requirements. Destination runways are often dirt. Amenities such as constant contact with ATC, radar coverage and ADS-B weather disappear shortly after crossing the border. Additionally, VFR and IFR have different rules. Paul will discuss how to mitigate the different risks inherit in flying in Mexico. He'll also guide us through the seemingly complex border crossing procedures. He has been flying to Mexico and further afield for over 20 years in his Mooney, including Central America and Cuba. He has done many Mexico checkouts flights for pilots wanting to get first-hand experience before taking friends and family down. He'll also provide a taste of the fun adventures awaiting pilots in pictures. Flying south isn't limited to the aircraft owner, and he'll also discuss how a rental pilot can rent planes permitted to fly into Mexico.
There will be time for Q&A after the presentation.
Prior to attending a safety seminar in person, please review and abide by Current CDC, State and Local Health Guidelines.

To view further details and registration information for this seminar, click here.
The sponsor for this seminar is: San Diego FAA Safety Team
The FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) is committed to providing equal access to this meeting/event for all participants. If you need alternative formats or services because of a disability, please communicate your request as soon as possible with the person in the 'Contact Information' area of the meeting/event notice. Note that two weeks is usually required to arrange services.
The following credit(s) are available for the WINGS/AMT Programs:
Advanced Knowledge 1 - 1 Credit

Click here to view the WINGS help page

Mexico didn't recognize sport pilot privileges when I last checked, so know before you go gyronauts!

Mexico didn't recognize sport pilot privileges when I last checked, so know before you go gyronauts!
Yep. In addition, 12 inch registration markings.

AOPA puts a nice info package here:

Any very important for most of us:

• Regarding experimental aircraft: Due to a recent policy change, the operation of U.S. registered amateur built aircraft is currently prohibited in Mexico. AOPA has asked the civil aviation authorities in Mexico to reverse this recent policy change. AOPA will update this notice and notify the membership when this change occurs.

Jim

Last edited:
I contacted Paul, the presenter yesterday, and asked if he knew and would be explaining:
1) if an experimental gyroplane could now be flown in Mexico?
2) if Mexico recognizes a Sport Pilot license?

He said yes to 1), Experimental can be registered in Mexico. He will explain the paperwork and that it may take months in his presentation.
He said he was not aware of Mexico not recognizing a Sport Pilot license. But knew where to get the answer and thanked me for asking.

1) if an experimental gyroplane could now be flown in Mexico?
He said yes to 1), Experimental can be registered in Mexico. He will explain the paperwork and that it may take months in his presentation.
He said he was not aware of Mexico not recognizing a Sport Pilot license. But knew where to get the answer and thanked me for asking.
Yes, an experimental gyroplane can be registered in Mexico. I know of a few over the years. A U.S. registered experimental cannot, at this time, be flown in Mexico.

Do they have an ultralight category?

Do they have an ultralight category?
Sort of. They have a category called "light experimental aircraft." I don't really have more details. There's a company called xairmexico.com that walks people through the hoops.

Don't forget to add an hour or two talking with BP intelligence officers when you land. I wasn't crossing the border, but just flying the desert near Wellton.
They chased me down like I was Al Capone with a case of Whiskey.