FlyCom Helmet

Mark:
purchased a ga flycom to use in my dominator
When I originally purchased my Flycomm system, I installed and attempted to use it at Bensen Days, It was a frustrating disaster with the transmit on the radio. I contacted Flycomm (david?) and per his instructions, opened the Intercom box and got pictures for him. Instantly, he knew the problem. I had the wrong Patch cable.
He mailed me a new cable and the system has worked perfectly since.
As it turned out, they had a change/modification in the circuitry of the intercom. The miss match of old style patch cable and new style intercom created my issue. So he sent me a new style cable.

My experience sounds like yours, except I did not have an intercom box so no patch cable issue. I've removed the circuit card and should have a new headset volume control today. Once I put everything back together will post back here.

I told Flycom what radio I was using and bought all of the cords needed, two helmets and the intercom from them. Couldn't be more pleased. I can hear others well, others can hear me well.

I had to use the flycom intercom with Flycom helmet to get everything working corrrectly.

I got the FlyCom to get away from the headset. I wanted the headset integrated into the helmet.

Interesting video obviously limited by the speaker's personal inventory of headsets. Wonder how his conclusions would differ with the addition of a few more to the mix. I started decades ago with DC with complete satisfaction because it was the state of the art. Later went to an Avcomm but found no real improvement over the DC. Back to a DC when I started flying helicopters but really stepped up when I got a Lightspeed Zulu 2 for a birthday present. After flying with the Z2 for a couple of years and and a couple hundred hours, learned that Lightspeed would upgrade my Z2 to a Zulu 3 for $100, sent it to them, got it back and have never looked back. I'll admit I considered the Bose when I got the Lightspeed and concluded it might have a more comfortable head piece with the hinge in the middle but found the sound quality and controls more to my liking with the Lightspeed. I'm now considering having my helmet modified to incorporate the Lightspeed noise cancelling capability.

Not on the topic, but ... did anybody try HALO.
I used my HALO several times in R22 with doors off and it was great. At home I trial-fit a Pyrotect full-face helmet over the HALO and it was comfortable. This is the setup I plan to use when the NANO gyro arrives,

smiles,
Charles

I finished modifying the helmet today, removed the circuit board, installed a new volume control, added a David Clark M7A Mic element. Everything is now OK! Never did hear back from Customer Service!

bingo, I have a winner. HALO.
It was cheap enough to order to try it, = $379 + 9.50 shipping. Compared to the similar Boise I found for $1,045. See Here to compare.
I currently have 2 David Clark ANR headsets about 10 years old.
2 LightSpeed Zulu ANR headsets are about 8 years old and in worse shape for wear.
The LightSpeed have better ANR.
Those are for my Archer and would NOT fit with the new helmet I just ordered. HALO should.
Ron has new Dabid Clarks headsets in the ARGON. Not really used them, other than a couple of radio checks from inside the hangar, engine off, to ground control.
Will use them tomorrow for runway taxi tests.

Once the Halo arrives I will bring all of them to the ARGON and test them in the pattern.

Last edited:
The amplifier circuit board is wired directly in the mic circuit on my helmet. I removed the circuit board, replaced the mic element with a David Clark mic element and now It works like it should have from the start.

The Halo arrived. I'll bring the David Clark, LightSpeed, and Halo up to the ARGON and report how they compare.

Aha, well figured out that the mic gain on my icom ica200 radio was turned up way to much. turned it down a 1/4 turn and bingo my icom helmet is happy. must have been back feeding or some thing so real happy it is all good.

Can not ask Alvaro to test my 3 headsets and his Boise solo while flying the 1st 16 hours off.
But Henry is flying down Monday. Alvaro should have 20 hours on her by then.
I'll ask Henry, to test my ARN David Clark, ARN Lightspeed, Halo, Ron's non-ARN David Clark, and Alvaro Boise headset and have him give us a pilot report.
Please stand by for the rest of the story...

Last edited:
Well... Henry could not make it Monday.
So I waited until the pattern was full and tested them all on the ground with the engine running at 70% and pre-rotating to 200 RRPM.
The new Bose is the most quit. = The least amount of engine noise is heard.
Followed very closely by my 7-year-old Lightspeed.
Then my 10+-year-old David Clark ARN headset.
The last two had slightly less engine noise than the Halo and new David Clark without ARN headsets.
Maybe 10 or 20 percent quieter engine noise than Halo.

However, As far as hearing the voice and understanding what is being said all of them were equal.
You just could not hear as much of the engine with the ARN's.

I like the Halo more than expected. You do not feel like you are wearing anything.
I could turn the volume down lower with the in-your-end Halo than the new David Clark non-ARN headset.
Flying FW both my David Clark and LightSpeed start hurting my ears/head flying over 3 hours.
The Halo I do not believe I will feel after 4 or more hours.

John:
Have you actually tested these headsets yet with flying them?
Its a completely different ballgame flying them and sitting and taxiing on the ground even with 70% power. You have no slipstream noise to contend with. ANR headsets in particular become a bit worthless in open cockpit and cannot handle change in frequencies that can happen and get overwhelmed easily.