Flycom Helmet With Funke ATR833S Radio

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914
Total Flight Time
Hi.

I have just paid (all or most of) a new Flycom helmet to use in my MTO Sport. That currently has a Filser/Funke ATR500 25 kHz transceiver.

But, since I want to fly through Sweden, I need to swap it for a 8.33 unit (anyone want to buy an ATR500?). I am about to choose a Funke 833S.

Then Flycom wrote me, I need to upgrade to their GA version, as the standard mike won't work well with the ATR833S.

I'm thinking: Why should the 833 be different from the 500? Or did Flycom microphones have a problem earlier?

Can anyone clarify before I go through and have it built for me? If I need it standard or I need a higher gain mike like Flycom say?

TIA

Cheers,
Erik

Last edited:

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
I do know there was some recent compatibility problems with the new Funke radios blowing out the older Flycom helmet mikes ...down in Australia!
I guess this is now well known & being addressed! We have had some annoying issues with the newer Funke radios & new Flycoms here in USA!
I am not very well educated in the comms side of gyro engineering ...all mystic juju to me ...so I rely on those who can make these systems work together ...make it happen - for me!

As far as I'm aware the ATR 500 has analogue speech processing, whereas the 833S is digital. The ATR500 also (in my experience) was better able to cope with the low gain of the standard Flycom mic (you could turn the mic gain up to compensate) than the 833S.

My experience with early 833S radios was poor - they picked up a lot of background noise on the intercom - later ones seem to be better. I'm a big fan of the Trig radios - they work well with the standard Flycom helmets in open-cockpit machines.

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914
Total Flight Time
Hi and thanks to both of you. You have given the best info.

I bought the ATR833s and the Flycom (GA mike and plugs).

Partly because it will be an easy switch with the 500->833 adapter. No fitting of new leads.

Also because all the compact radios in the lower price bracket seemed the same. Noone really stood out.

And reviews are simply nonexistent - not much in the way of facts out there.

Cheers
Erik

rcflier

Aircraft
Auto-Gyro MTO Sport 914
Total Flight Time
Hi John - I haven't the foggiest idea of, what you're writing...

I have bought both radio and helmet with GA mike (£60 extra).

Cheers
Erik