Fly with Us

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Cessna 210 +, Xenon RST, Citabria
Total Flight Time
2000+
Hi Mark

Thanks ever so much for the pics and vids, since you are obviously in the air a lot around there and somewhat "seen a lot" how is the aviation community looking at the autogyro ??? Also what engine is in the gyro??

Tony
The Xenon RST model is a Rotax 912 with a Mitsubishi Turbo putting out 130+ HP . Most pilots here at Meadow Lake are pretty open to all kinds of flying machines anyway, but overall, I would say the Xenon has increased respect for GyroCopters tremendously. Many local pilots want a ride in it. Most can't believe how it climbs at this density altitude.

Mark

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Very very cool thanks for sharing!

NoWingsAttached

Unobtainium Member
Aircraft
Air Command Tandem w/ Arrow 100hp; GyroBee w/ Hirth 65hp; Air Command Tandem w/ Yamaha 150hp
Total Flight Time
>350
Not good. You starve a turbo engine of fuel while it's spooled up dude, and you are looking at a rather expensive grenade. Figure out what caused vapor lock and change it before you have a real engine out.

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
Not good. You starve a turbo engine of fuel while it's spooled up dude, and you are looking at a rather expensive grenade. Figure out what caused vapor lock and change it before you have a real engine out.
You are correct. Not a good thing.

It was caused by me doing what I have always done, climb out on the main pump only.

Using both pumps for take off and climb out is a safer procedure.

I have used summer blend fuel (delivered from the same fuel distributor) since June with NO problem. This was the first tank from the new load.

No water or problem with the fuel other than that.

Mark

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
Very very cool thanks for sharing!
Sharing is half the fun.

Todd and I have had some amazing moments on these weekly flights. Seeing the Royal Gorge an hour after Sun Up was an amazing sight, and this little engine hiccup was memorable too.

Mark

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Wow that was fun!!!
Thanks for posting!

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
LOGBOOK Saturday October 30th, 2010

On the last Saturday in October, I met Todd and his friend from work Justin, at my Hangar around 10AM. Justin drove over, but as I was driving up, I see Todd taxing in his single seat Yamacommander.

I hadn't asked exactly what Todd had in mind the day before when he called and asked if I would give his friend a ride, I just said sure. Now it was clear this was to be a formation flying day... OK with me.

While we do the preflight , Justin tells us he used to live just north of this Airport in the North Black Forest and the area of Elbert County known as the Bijou Basin.

We load up and taxi over to my fuel tank at the east end of the crosswind runway. Todd takes about a gallon and a half just to top off, and I take about 10 gallons to put us at 3/4 full.

We taxi to the west end of the crosswind, and turn south on taxiway Alpha to do our run up and spin up.

..." 9MB: Meadow Lake traffic, Experimental Light Sport Copter 9 mike bravo rolling for take off on the Alpha taxiway south of the crosswind with a left turnout . We are a flight of two..."

We depart north, and head over the Black Forest to Justin's parents home for some photo's, then just fly around looking at the area Justin grew up in,
taking the odd picture of an old barn or A frame mansion.

No real mission today other than to try not to tangle rotor blades with Todd.

Suddenly I see the creek behind the Bijou Springs Ranch property and remember a week or so ago another forum member (Pat Fogarty)
wrote and asked about joining a new Colorado PRA chapter if we decided to form one. I called Todd on the radio, reminded him about Pat,
and told him I was going to follow the creek north and see if we could find the grass strip Pat spoke of. I had scoped it out on google earth,
and knew the strip was about a half mile east of this tiny reservoir that was feed by this little creek. My intention was to just find the
strip in the middle of no where, and then write Pat and set a time to come up and see him. He had asked about getting a ride in the Xenon.

After playing "jump off a cliff" on the bluffs in the Bijou Basin for a little while, we head north up the creek NOE.

The Reservoir Just East of Bijou Bottom Airstrip

After about 7 or 8 minutes, well I'll be darn, there it is, the little reservoir, and just west of it a small grass strip and hangar buildings.

It looked like 2 or 3 cars were there and the hangar door was open. I decided to do a low pass just to check it out.

The chart clearly said "private- prior permission required", so I wasn't going to land.

As I begin the low approach, there are 3 guys standing in front of a yellow Piper Cub waving us in.

I call Todd on the radio and relay what just happened, and tell him "I think we just got permission to land"

Todd flies in trail, and we set up for a left base for runway 15 at Bijou Bottom.

FAA Identifier: 9CO8
Elevation: 6000 ft. / 1829 m (estimated)
From city: 8 miles SE of KIOWA, CO
Runway 15/33 2400 x 40

Lo and behold who is there to meet us but Pat Fogarty.
It was a beautiful Saturday, and John Lingwall my neighbor at Meadow Lake Estates was there with his Cub, as well as
Bijou Bottom owner Steve Herrick, and Pat . Pat is a fixed wing pilot interested in transitioning to Gyro's.

He keeps his tail dragger at Bijou Bottom, and wondered if a Gyro could operate out of that short grass strip.

After talking flying a little while I asked Pat if he wanted to take that ride in the Xenon.

We were belted in and doing the pre take off checklist in a flash.

I can't remember the exact number, but the weight and balance with Pat, Me and fuel was just about 6 ounces less than gross weight if I recall correctly.

VIDEO Pat's flight in the Xenon
YouTube - Bijou Bottom Airstrip.wmv

Even with 2 big heavy guys, the Xenon jumps into the air and is flying in 500 feet of ground run.

All too soon it is time to head for home. Todd suits up, and Justin and I take off first in the Xenon.

We let Todd take the lead. We try to video him (without much success) as he flies over the creek into a strong head wind headed back to Meadow Lake Airport .

YouTube - The ride home..wmv

It took much longer to get home, as the headwind was near 30 knots at times.

(Todd was glad he topped off, as his seat tank only holds about 6 gallons.)

As we land at Meadow Lake , we roll only a few feet in the strong headwind almost right down the runway.

The end of another great flight. It was fun guys. Until next time.....

Last edited:

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mark and Todd- I enjoy reading and looking at your corner of the world. You two have true passion for flying and thanks for sharing! It was nice to see Todds Yamagyro flying along. Keep the adventures coming. Stan

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
Thanks Stan.

Todd and I try to make and keep an appointment to fly about once a week. We rarely plan the flight in advance, we kind of decide as we are doing the pre flight.

One morning we will just decide to go fly over the Royal Gorge, up Ute Pass, or over Cottonwood Canyon. I never know where we are going next, until we get together.

It keeps it interesting.

The best trips sometimes happen when you just decide on a whim to follow a creek....

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mark- You used one of my favorite words....."whim" I am planning on flying later today after I get certain stair assignments done. Then I will fly on a whim, and hard telling what nook and cranny I will be hovering in. I will take pictures but the best part I cant capture.

Looking forwatd to see what excitement you and Todd share with us next......

Stan

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
LOGBOOK Monday, November 8, 2010

Todd and I met at my house about 7:45 this morning to do the weather briefing for todays flight. But due to an AIRMET for turbulence near the mountains,
we changed our destination, and opted for a breakfast flight to Pueblo instead.

After fueling up , we noticed the camera was missing. Whoops.

Oh well, it's now an opportunity to test the proposition that a written story can paint the word picture's for you,
and is just as enjoyable without a lot of pictures of the same things you have shown pictures of before. (I have added a picture or two from past footage just in case this theory is wrong :) )

We lined up for take off on the unpaved east end of the Runway 26 at Meadow Lake. Upon reaching 210 RPM on the blades, pre rotator off, power to full tilt, and off we went.

For fun I did a low level turn and stayed about 25 feet off the deck headed south, climbing eventually to be at a reasonable height before leaving the 700 acres of Airport property.

We use the Curtis 1 departure, a play on IFR standard instrument departures (SIDS), this one totally made up by me and not a published SID is .." maintain VFR at or Below 1000 agl and follow Curtis road south until it dead ends. So long as you maintain altitude and no more than a 1 mile east or west of curtis rd, you remain clear of both the Shriever AFB restricted area and the COS Class C inner ring, and are pointed right at Pueblo Airport, 36 miles to the south. :) )

This time, at the end of Curtis, we deviate to the west to pick up I-25 and follow it south to Pueblo. We use the GPS to fly an arc avoiding the COS class C inner ring.
Admittedly it takes longer, but there is something to look at besides brown prairie grass and an occasional cow or coyote.

On the way we fly over one of Todd's hangar mates house (who owns a Sky Ranger). No shots were fired, so we continue to the interstate.
(Upon landing in Pueblo, Todd gets a call from his friend saying he heard the gyro and came running out to see us.)

We reach the interstate and slow to 80 mph ground speed on the GPS. It soon becomes obvious the cars that are changing lanes and overtaking those running at the posted 75MPH limit.

We pass PPIR, the race track halfway between Colorado Springs and Pueblo, and soon have Beacon Hill speedway in sight south of the Pueblo County line.

When we are six miles West of the airport, we report in with Information Victor and are cleared to land on the 10,000 foot long runway (8 Left).

I keep my speed up (and about 500 feet of altitude to the threshold) as I am thinking of doing a vertical decent and a touch down on the taxiway Charlie intersection to save taxi time.

The controller had a twin on the ILS, and asked me what my intentions were. (I guess when I stayed so high, he was wondering what we were doing. )

After I explained my intentions, he told me to cross 8 R and ..." you are cleared to land on the Ramp...". So we did. (Landing roll about 40 feet.)

I can't explain why that feels so special. Perhaps it is because for 35 years I have been taxing my airplane from the end of controlled airports I frequent regularly, like Colorado Spring, Pueblo, or Denver Centennial, - holding to cross runways, and taxing a mile or two in some cases to get to the ramp. ( It takes 8 minutes to fly my 210 to Colorado Springs (literally), and sometimes more than 10 minutes to taxi to parking if it is a busy day. Not a big deal, but noticeable. Being able to fly directly to where I want to be, and then being parked right by the FBO feels like VIP treatment. Now in reality, it is just the controllers doing what is best for them and best for the smooth flow of traffic in a busy system. But hey, it works for me, and it's " all good", right.

After parking the gyro, we walked the short distance to the Spitfire Grill, and ate breakfast.

Since Todd has mostly flown from small uncontrolled fields, we had an interesting discussion about air traffic control, and how it works in Pueblo.

Soon we were strapping in and doing our short check list for the flight home. Wind was calm, but forecast to pick up soon out of the south.

TOWER: GyroCopter 9er Mike Bravo, wind calm, cleared for take off, right turn out and west departure approved. Traffic is a Diamond Katana on a right downwind for 8 Right.

We climb to 1000 agl heading west , then turn north, then northwest to reach I-25 for the flight home. I turned the aircraft over to Todd while I worked the GPS.

Soon we felt a little bump and noticed our ground speed had increased to 104 knot's. Hmmmm, that South wind previously forecast was now upon us. The trip home was a bit faster than normal.

Todd handed the aircraft back to me about 3 miles south of the airport, and I announced a right downwind for runway 15.

A check of the new AWOS indicated wind 170 at 11 gusting to 19.

On downwind just north of the numbers, I did a pedal turn, reducing the throttle to 4000 RPM,
and pulled it into a vertical decent over the Judge Orr and Hwy 24 intersection.
Stick back, stick back, right pedal, hold it back, 40, now 30 knots indicated, and 800fpm decent.

Forward stick at 200 agl results in a beautiful smooth touch down on the numbers and a 10 foot roll.

Upon opening the car trunk to put my stuff away, I found the missing Sony hanicam.

So we decided to say goodbye to you for today. (See below.)

TODAYS VIDEO
(Click on the word Vimeo, then click on the four arrows icon for full screen.)

11-08-2010 on Vimeo

(OK, so this is a picture of it on the ramp at Colorado Springs last August, but just pretend it is the Pueblo ramp shot we would have got if we had the camera today:))

END ...

Last edited:

Racer

Aircraft
Air Command CLT N7512X
One problem when I fly in formation with Mark is he never cruises slower than 80mph, Don't get me wrong I can keep up with him but my neck gets so fricken tired of holding my head up against that much wind force. You may say it is a total pain in the neck.

As the weather is turning into fall and winter around here I am really starting to enjoy the fully enclosed cabin... plus Marks baby is a dream to fly.

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
One problem when I fly in formation with Mark is he never cruises slower than 80mph, Don't get me wrong I can keep up with him but my neck gets so fricken tired of holding my head up against that much wind force. You may say it is a total pain in the neck.

As the weather is turning into fall and winter around here I am really starting to enjoy the fully enclosed cabin... plus Marks baby is a dream to fly.
What a whiner. A little wind never hurt anyone, (well except for during Katrina.)

Don't let him fool you folks, Last week as we were leaving Bijou Bottom, I had the Xenon at full cruise power, Todd is in the lead over the Bijou creek bed with that big Yamaha motor screamin, and I had to add power to keep up with him.

Don't belive me, ask Justin. And this was into a 30 knot headwind.

Todd, it is always fun flying with you.

Mark

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
One problem when I fly in formation with Mark is he never cruises slower than 80mph, Don't get me wrong I can keep up with him but my neck gets so fricken tired of holding my head up against that much wind force.
Todd

Think of all the neck muscles you are building.

So when you have women falling at your feet who can't wait to get their arms around your muscular neck, remember you have your buddy with the enclosed 2 place to thank...

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
Todd flying into a 30 knot headwind leaving Bijou Bottom Airstrip last Saturday.

Last edited:

ms80831

PRA member since 1973
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
2000+
SATURDAY 11-27-2010 New Member - First Gyro Flight

SATURDAY 11-27-2010 New Member - First Gyro Flight

LOGBOOK Saturday, November 27, 2010

Saturday morning I met Cobus Burger at my hangar for his first Gyro Flight.
Cobus has been interested in Gyro's for a while, has been reading the forum, and since he and his family live in Colorado, he called us to see if he could get his first Gyro flight......Sure, Why Not!

YouTube - Sat 11-27-2010 Part 1.wmv

After the pre flight, we went up and did some basic maneuvers, and I gave Cobus the stick. Cobus is a multi engine ATP, and has about 50 hours in helicopters. He is a good stick, and had no problem flying the Xenon.

So after his flight, Todd, Cobus and I went to Nana's cafe in Falcon for some breakfast and some flying talk.

It seams the time flew by, and soon we were back at my hangar saying goodbye to Cobus.

Todd and I did another preflight, and had no set plans, so we improvised, and decided to go to COS Colorado Springs, just 12 miles west in the class C airspace.

Upon taxing out, we met 2 Cozy's doing a run up.

In the video below, you can see them depart in formation as we are departing on downwind.

As soon as we were at a safe altitude, we did an immediate left turn out to a close in North downwind departure to clear the runway for the faster Cozys waiting behind us.

VIDEO 2 Flight to COS - Landing and Take Off on the Ramp at Colorado Springs...

YouTube - COS: On the Ramp, Take off and Land..wmv

The air was fairly smooth at the surface, but the higher winds aloft were brisk and turbulent. We stayed low, and soon were cleared to land on the ramp at Colorado Springs. (See video Part 2)

After a nice visit at the Jet Center, and a talk with the Helicopter pilot from Colorado Vertical Tours, it was time to depart back to Meadow Lake.

What a surprise when they cleared us to take off on the ramp. (That's a first for the Springs.)

9MB: Springs Ground N719MB is an experimental light sport gyrocopter , at Jet center with Whiskey, East Departure to Meadow Lake.

COS: 9 Mike Bravo, you are clear for a south departure from the ramp, when able turn right 180 to 330, at or below 8 thousand.

So we were off again back to Meadow Lake.

Till Next time....

MORE PHOTOS' HERE > http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm94/ms80831/Flying%20%2011-27-2010/

Last edited:

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Mark- Thanks for your continous stream of pictures . Way to be another year round flyer.