Flight of the Phenix 2

Phenix5

We've been busy the last weeks doing some mods to the machine and finally we went out for some flying!

Enclosed are some more flight tests with our Phenix gyro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVO8KxrnAwQ

The team is very happy with the results. Obviously there is still some work to do (that's what prototypes are for) but in general the aircraft is very stable and handles well. What a good feeling to have that engine in front!

We will post new videos as we go along with further testing.

Carlos

CLS447

Platinum Member
Cool ! Funny looking throught the prop though. Best of luck !

Alicante, Spain would be a better description of your location though. I had to look that up.

I think that certain information is important in your profile. Did you ever notice how many people look at them?

That would be like me just saying I am from Reading ??????????

Sorry about the rant, but soooo many are guilty of this !

GyroCFI

Wow

Wow

I saw some pics of this gyro from last year and it really got my blood pumping. Anyone have an idea about how much one of these is going to go for?

Kai Kern

I was allowed to a testflight with Carlos. Everything went as expected and promised and the tractor configuration does make a huge change. They have really gone the extra mile and I would say that tractor configuration is the future of the autogyro technology. Video results here:

YouTube - Phenix Autogyro Testflight

GyroCFI: I was mentioned a price of 70k EUR initially.

kolibri282

Last edited:

Kai Kern

...uhhhhmmmm.... the Phenix disk angle seems to be quite large, any opinions?

Let's spin them blades like satellites.....;-)

Cheers,

Juergen
...disk angle? Could you specify this a bit better?

The blades, btw, are not the final ones. These ones are a bit too large and will be replaced by smaller ones. But I didn't get the disk angle thing... :help:

kolibri282

...disk angle? Could you specify this a bit better?
The tips of the rotorblades trace a circle while spinning. If we neglect the coning angle we can assume that this circle is the rim of a disk (the center of the disk is actually slightly above the rotor head, due to blade coning). If we now assume the gyro is flying such that a line from just below the prop hub to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer is parallel to the oncoming air then the rotor is inclined backwards with respect to that line at some angle. This angle between the oncoming air and the rotor disk is called disk angle and to me (just visually) seems to be somewhat larger than for other gyros.

Cheers,

Juergen

Last edited:

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
The rotor disc angle is a measure of its lift/drag ratio at any given airspeed. It is equal to 1/tan of disc angle.

Kai Kern

The tips of the rotorblades trace a circle while spinning. If we neglect the coning angle we can assume that this circle is the rim of a disk (the center of the disk is actually slightly above the rotor head, due to blade coning). If we now assume the gyro is flying such that a line from just below the prop hub to the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer is parallel to the oncoming air then the rotor is inclined backwards with respect to that line at some angle. This angle between the oncoming air and the rotor disk is called disk angle and to me (just visually) seems to be somewhat larger than for other gyros.

Cheers,

Juergen
Thanks, Dr. Juergen ;) Verstanden. What practical advantages or disadvantages could this imply? More lift, less speed?

kolibri282

Kai - More lift, less speed
As Chuck pointed out disk angle is related to the lift/drag ratio of the rotor, so it means less speed for a required lift (i.e. gross weight of the aircraft)

Jean Claude

... so it means less speed for a required lift (i.e. gross weight of the aircraft)
Are you sure, Juergen? In my opinion, the speed depends only to Cl, not ratio Cl / Cd. With the same Cl, a glider (ratio 50) fly to the same speed as Cessna (ratio 10)

Last edited:

kolibri282

Jean Claude - Are you sure, Juergen? In my opinion, the speed depends only to Cl, not ratio Cl / Cd.
Sorry Jean Claude, I did not make it clear that I was assuming the engine power to be constant. Under this assumption the lift for a 2000lb plane will result in a drag of 40lb for the glider and 200lb for the Cessna. With the same engine power for both aircraft the glider will be faster.