Fixed wing trying to learn rotor in Knoxville TN

DHarris

Thanks for having me, I am currently working on a Rotorway 162F and looking at a MH-1.

I have been flying fixed wing for several years but I have always wanted to learn to fly rotorwing. Most challenging and rewarding thing I have ever done.

Dan Harris

Knoxville TN

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Staff member
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum Dan Harris.

In my opinion a helicopter is much harder to learn to fly than a gyroplane.

I wish you all the best on your Rotorcraft adventure.

Barney Bahle

Aircraft
Rotorway 162F
Hi Dan. As you can see, not a lot of helicopter guys here. But there are a few and you never know when something interesting will pop up.

Check your inbox (or whatever they call it here), I sent a PM.

HeliSwede

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
R44/22, Bell206L1, Hughes 300C, AirCommand, McCulloch J-2, AG Calidus, Magni M24
Total Flight Time
Hi Dan, I got my Fixed Wing rating first, the Commercial Heli, then Commercial Gyroplane. For me... first few hours in the heli was challenging, but frankly no more than the gyro. Now that I fly all three, I enjoy the heli the most due to no runway required, can most always land into the wind, no minimum speed and my last 2 R44s had cold air conditioning! Least expensive to operate, the gyro for sure. Best for long flights from point A to point B, the fixed wing. Be very careful transitioning from FW to RW as FW pilots have some habits that will hurt you (or worse) until your RW automatic reactions to emergencies (such as engine failure) are fully formed. Training is so important!!!!!!!!