First time pilots.

thejay2012

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
None
What would you recommend as a starter aircraft? I am looking at either a gyro or an Ultralight. Which is easier to build and cheaper material wise?

Last edited:

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
If you want to fly in more kinds of weather, then the Gyro beats out an Ultra light fixed wing any day. but a used Ultra light is probably cheaper and easyer to learn to fly.

no matter what class Gyro you get you will need proper training!

FliteTyger

Total Flight Time
Just getting started!
I started with this same question John.

After looking at the two, I decided gyros ruled. Like Animal says, you got more weather ability, and in any weather, fixed wings just don't fly like that :lol:

Besides, gyro's look much cooler :cool:

:D

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Another major point, you can keep your Gyro at home, most ultra lights may not be as easy to take apart to travel with and around here most hangers, if you can find one run about $250.00 up per month. I have a 32' x 25 foot shop, My Falcon fits very nicely in the back corner. several people store them in thier car ports or just under a good tarp.
fabric on an ultra light fixed wing after time has to be replaced. so in the long run the Gyro still wins. plus once you ride in a gyro and see what they can do, you will laugh at a fixed wing ultra light.

thejay2012

Aircraft
None
Total Flight Time
None
How do gyros perform vs ultralight in high humidity?
I'm guessing this goes to gyro as well because the ultralight fabric might wear out easier.
(80%+ Humidity is the norm here)

Last edited:

ccluck

RF Wrangler
Aircraft
MadMax 2000 ELSA 2-seats
Total Flight Time
88 total, 8 solo
The critical issue here is training - if you have a gyro instructor next door, get a gyro. If you don't, but there's a trike instructor close by, get a trike, etc. etc.

Owning a gyro isn't much fun if you can't fly it, and you may have to make a serious commitment in time and travel to get trained. On the other hand, FW instructors are everywhere.