First Kit Built ELA G8 in USA

Alan_Cheatham

The first kit built ELA G8 in the US nears completion here in Texas, purchased from Aerotrek by Matt Pearson.

http://www.aerotrek.aero/default.htm

As we have come to learn this is the first ever kitted ELA G8 produced (all others have been factory built in Spain) so there have been a few teething problems, mainly due to a lack of proper English documentation and a few missing items, but nothing major (so far).

(note that the pictures suffer from compression artifacts especially in the red colors)

Attachments

Last edited:

ckurz7000

Aircraft
ArrowCopter
Hi Alan, looks like a very nice gyro you're building. I just have never heard of an ELA G8. I know the ELA 07, 09 and 10 (as per their website). What's the G8??

Greetings, -- Chris.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Hey that's great ! Good to know that Matt is still at it. Why doesn't he post here anymore ?

Hey Matt.....great color choice ! Are all the other parts powder coated ?

I would call that a 2 place partially enclosed machine, wouldn't you ?

Last edited:

rsalazar

Aircraft
R22/R44/R66/Hiller UH12B/Apollo Gyro/Cavalon/MTO Sport/Calidus/Tercel/AR1/ELA Cougar 07/ELA Scorpion
It looks nice!!
Please keep posting photos of the build!!

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Very cool Alan!!! Thank you for sharing!

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
Nice machine. Very similar in construction to AG-1 or MTO Sport.
Is that a fiberglass fuel tank I see there? If so, please be careful and keep an eye on it. I have not seen a single composite fuel tank hold up completely to US fuel over the long haul with fuel from the auto pump after 2007. We eventually changed all our fuel tanks in 2008 to Aluminum. Vinyl ester resin is supposed to be ethanol resistant but even it gives up eventually. At least a Cavalon and a Calidus fuel tank started de-lamination here in Florida and they supposedly used ethanol resistant resin. We caught that problem in 2008 on our airplanes and trikes and changed out every single tank in the US.

MagniPilot

Aircraft
N747RD - Magni M-16
Total Flight Time
>900
Very Nice

Very Nice

Alan, it looks like you are doing a nice job on that machine. If you need any training or DPE services here in Texas, please let me know. I would be happy to fly with you. I am based out of Austin.

Viper22

Aircraft
Miway Breezy (Builder) - 304PR & Lil Bitts Biplane 18LB
Total Flight Time
150 hours
Frame material

Frame material

Alan,

Is the main frame aluminum or steel tubing? And of what size and wall thickness? Thanks

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
You say it is kit built, are kits available? Do they sell sub-kits?

Alan_Cheatham

Alan,

Is the main frame aluminum or steel tubing? And of what size and wall thickness? Thanks
The frame is TIG welded stainless steel as are many of the European gyros. I would have to measure for the size and gauge thickness but the ELA is one of the lightest of the Euro gyros, it doesn't seem to weigh much of anything.

Alan_Cheatham

You say it is kit built, are kits available? Do they sell sub-kits?
Kits are available through the US importer Aerotrek, as I understand there are two more to be arriving soon. As for sub-kits I have no idea, you would have to talk to Rob at Aerotrek.

http://www.aerotrek.aero/ela.htm

I've finished wiring the EIS and accessories to the instrument panel and it's ready to install in the aircraft but we've got cold, rainy weather here at the moment. Beyond that she's nearly ready to go.

Arco

Aircraft
Ela 07- 115
Hi,

The ELA structure is done in stainless steel AISI 304, using square tubing 50x50 mm with a thickness of 2 mm.

Alan_Cheatham

Panel wiring now complete, it took longer than anticipated due to adding additional controls and engine monitoring functions. The entire panel can be removed and set to one side with the wiring harness still attached to the aircraft.

The ELA has pneumatic trim and pre-rotator controls, the control valves and air tank are mounted in the back of the panel.

Attachments

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Ya big tease ! Let's see the front of that panel !

Alan_Cheatham

Yesterday was a good day as we completed many tasks and were able to do the first engine run, all went well and Matt had a chance to taxi a bit before the sun went down.

Getting real close now.

Attachments