Fiberglass Landing gear ... ?

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
Hi All,
I need some help.
I happened to acquire the Pink Honey Bee G2 that may be the loan survivor of the whole G2 rise and fall.

I got it without an N number so I have torn it completely down and will rebuild it. (BTW - It won't end up being pink!!!)

Unfortunately, on the way home from picking it up, we had the machine in a trailer with the landing gear in a "compromised" position. Long story ... but when we hit a very serious pot hole (my head hit the ceiling of the truck), the result was a busted main gear.

For those who don't remember, the only suspension on the G2's was a length of 1.5 inch fiberglass rod between the main horizontal gear tube and the axle. In this case, about 8 inches of the rod is exposed and becomes the "flexible" part of the gear.

That rod broke when we hit the pothole from hell.

So ... my question is this ...
Does anyone out there know what they used for that rod? I need to replace it but I don't really know what I'm looking for. I've found a 1.5 inch diameter FRP Fiberglass rod but I have no idea whether it's the right stuff. Is it strong enough? Is it flexible enough to serve the purpose, etc?

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

Scott

1577997831369.png

1577997973000.png

1577998136011.png

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Scott: The powered parachute manufacturers used this type of axle, relying on the flexibility of that rod to cushion landings. I had a Buckeye PPC airframe.

Reading in their forums years back, if a landing causes a "crack" sound, they found they could rotate the rod 90*, re-drill new holes in the rod for the wheel assembly, and still continue to use it, waiting for another "crack" sound to then discard it & replace w/ a new one.

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
I'm fairly sure it is the plain 1 1/2" solid structural FRP rod from Mcmaster.com $73 for 5 feet. Honeybee used to use 1" solid rod in earlier versions, but it suffered from creep where it would eventually sag down under the weight over time.

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
I'm fairly sure it is the plain 1 1/2" solid structural FRP rod from Mcmaster.com $73 for 5 feet. Honeybee used to use 1" solid rod in earlier versions, but it suffered from creep where it would eventually sag down under the weight over time.
Thanks John.
I had looked at that before and was not sure it was the right stuff.
But since I thought it was and now you think it is, I'm willing to pull the trigger.

Appreciate the help.

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
Scott: The powered parachute manufacturers used this type of axle, relying on the flexibility of that rod to cushion landings. I had a Buckeye PPC airframe.

Reading in their forums years back, if a landing causes a "crack" sound, they found they could rotate the rod 90*, re-drill new holes in the rod for the wheel assembly, and still continue to use it, waiting for another "crack" sound to then discard it & replace w/ a new one.
Kevin,
That's interesting. But what if you have a noisy engine and rotor noise and a noise cancelling headset on ... and don't hear the "Crack"?!?!
Yikes!!!

Jazzenjohn

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
I've designed, built, and flown 4 different ultralight gyros. Amassing parts for a 2 place now.
Total Flight Time
400+
I think I'd change my answer to Max Gain instead of Mcmaster. I did make a gyro that used the 2" square pultruded fiberglass tubing for the landing gear from Max Gain several years ago.

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
I think I'd change my answer to Max Gain instead of Mcmaster. I did make a gyro that used the 2" square pultruded fiberglass tubing for the landing gear from Max Gain several years ago.
Oops!
looked at the Max Gain. Product looked basically the same but came in either 4 or 6 foot lengths. 4 not enough for two and 6 not enough for 3.
Went with the McMaster 5 footer.
Thanks,
Scott

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Hi Scott.

Are you planning to do any mods to the airframe? I don't recall the particulars at the moment, but I seem to remember there were issues with the design in its current configuration.

On a funnier note, I was hoping you would add a third text bubble pointing to the paint to make a nice Clint Eastwood movie reference :)

rsbiser

Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
Hi Scott.

Are you planning to do any mods to the airframe? I don't recall the particulars at the moment, but I seem to remember there were issues with the design in its current configuration.

On a funnier note, I was hoping you would add a third text bubble pointing to the paint to make a nice Clint Eastwood movie reference :)
Brian,
Yes.
I have at least one significant mod planned. While I have seen videos of the machine flying, I am a little concerned that it is a high thrust line machine. So, I plan to lower the rear keel about 6 inches to allow me to turn the gearbox 180 degrees and hence lower the thrust line by 6 inches. A few other things may show up, but not sure yet.

This what you were talking about?

1578061774358.png