Fatal - N419LB Cavalon OK

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
The FAA ASIAS summary states

Oct-18th 21 - Stroud airport, Oklaholma, USA - N419LM - Fatal - "AIRCRAFT SUSTAINED GUST OF WIND ON TAKEOFF, BLOWING IT INTO BARBED WIRE FENCE AND EJECTING THE PILOT"

Type listed as Autogyro

Details on the FAA Register are sparse

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
4000+ 380 gyroplanes. Sport CFI Gyro and Trikes
N419LM?
I see it as registered to SBS Program Office. It is a Cavalon.
Is that a public use supported by DOJ grant. I think it might be something in the public use arena

Gust of wind blowing a 2 seat gyro into the barbed wires ... doubt it. Not with a competent pilot on controls.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Rumor has it that it is not the correct N number for the Cavalon involved in the accident.
I don't know how the correction will take place.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
An email to the FAA or NTSB would nudge them to amend any error.

I have no details of the listed "N419LM"

There is a very similar Cavalon registered ( an NTSB tweet confirms type at this incident as a Cavalon ) with the final letter being a "B" rather than an "M" - FAA shows this machine as "sale reported" - may or may not be connected.

Condolences to the pilots family and friends.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
Talking of Oklahoma, I just had the most concerning phone call from someone who has bought a used AR-1 912ULS open cockpit.

I think we will be hearing more out of Oklahoma regarding gyroplane accidents.

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Talking of Oklahoma, I just had the most concerning phone call from someone who has bought a used AR-1 912ULS open cockpit.

I think we will be hearing more out of Oklahoma regarding gyroplane accidents.
That's what I'd call darkly cryptic...

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
That's bad news with regard to AR.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
That's what I'd call darkly cryptic...

Well really not that cryptic. When you buy an aircraft, don't finish training to learn to fly that class of aircraft, damage its rotors but just want to fix it by patching them up and a few other things ... you are just waiting for it. It puts the experiment in experimental aircraft with unfinished training as a cherry on top

Steve_UK

Aircraft
Hi Avid. For clarity would this be a second Oklahoma accident this week or a correction to the earlier 419LM accident. Thanks.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
Hi Avid. For clarity would this be a second Oklahoma accident this week or a correction to the earlier 419LM accident. Thanks.
No 2nd accident yet. I am just saying I think we should get ready. Today his engine would not start. He was lucky. He may not like it but just talking to him and then talking to the CFI who sold him that gyroplane that he owned, I do not believe he should be flying anything. That would be the best thing. Just my personal opinion.

Illini85

Gold Supporter
No 2nd accident yet. I am just saying I think we should get ready. Today his engine would not start. He was lucky. He may not like it but just talking to him and then talking to the CFI who sold him that gyroplane that he owned, I do not believe he should be flying anything. That would be the best thing. Just my personal opinion.
Just think how much money he is saving his estate by not buying a Cirrus. Sorry Abid, not the kind of client you need.

How anybody could consider flying after any amount of damage to a rotor without first consulting an expert is insane. Or what I'm hearing here is he did consult an expert and by all indications he is rejecting his advise which is even worse. You know folks, our lives don't just belong only to us.

" Some men, you just can't reach."-- Cool Hand Luke (1967)

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
My curiousity is piqued as to just how the rotor got damaged. After the sale, one assumes.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Thats a serious bummer.

An accident that seems waiting to happen, in a product you sell, by a person who seems to be beyond anyone's control.

Not good for the manufacturer, the sport as a whole...or, for the person concerned.

HeliSwede

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
R44/22, Bell206L1, Hughes 300C, AirCommand, McCulloch J-2, AG Calidus
Total Flight Time
That is so sad. Some on this forum may recall an owner of a McCulloch J2 that had a known bad main rotor bearing, was told not to fly, was given a new main rotor bearing which he put the the J2s storage compartment and then took of on a flight...... bearing failed J2 crashed, he died.
Can't fix stupid.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
My curiousity is piqued as to just how the rotor got damaged. After the sale, one assumes.
Supposedly he hit the blades on hanger doors somehow. I asked for pictures but it seems like he just wanted to buy end caps that broke off. He called asking mainly about why the engine will not start but then just casually asked about buying end caps for the blades. That was a bit concerning to me. Usually you don’t just damage end caps. Hopefully he will get sone knowledgeable person who will look at his machine and talk some sense into him about taking full training.

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
Regarding the non-starting engine, I'd have thought he'd just talk to a Rotax mechanic before calling the aircraft manufacturer... but maybe the real reason he called you was about fixing the rotor damage.